Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 2691 times)

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #125 on: 31-Dec-17, 08:55 »
Hers is a link to the photos - first three

http://s870.photobucket.com/user/81custom/slideshow/cx500Turbo

BUFF7454

« Reply #126 on: 31-Dec-17, 12:03 »
Am I correct in thinking that you intend breaking the law by riding an unregistered bike Seagrass?
That doesn't sound like you....surely you'll swap the plate off your turbo.

Harry I do not recall mentioning anything about "road testing" the bike. I do have a long driveway though.

Seagrass

Apart from myself of course I reckon Seagrass would be the least likely of this motley crew to intentionally bend the traffic laws to the point of exposing himself to the possibility of a traffic violation. I firmly doubt that he would expose himself for any other reason either.

doddsy1000

« Reply #127 on: 01-Jan-18, 00:58 »
A subject that I've brought up with the local testers for the VJMC in fact.

I used to take bikes to "Private Property" car parks to test, only to find that anything wth an entry & exit to a main road is actually a "highway" by road law definition. (In Victoria at least)

In theory therefore, a "track day" is the only legal option to test a bike before registration.

I suppose that if it will safely do 200kmh, it should be OK for a roadworthy certificate.

If I'm in the saddle, that may not be the actual direction we were aiming for.  But it is safe.   lmao lmao lmao

Seagrass

« Reply #128 on: 05-Jan-18, 21:52 »
In the last week or so I have had time to check out all of the wiring to make sure all the lights etc work OK. Apart from one of the tail brake/parking light globes all lights were working well.

Neither of the two horns were working but after adjusting the adjusting screws they are both OK.

As is often the case the 7 volt regulator had completely failed and the neutral switch diode had also failed. I have replaced the diode with a good spare that Charlie had in a spare wiring loom and I installed one of the 7 volt regulators that I make for around $5 in parts. I removed the epoxy and components from the old regulator can and installed the regulator I made in the old can.

I have also bled the brakes (still having the normal problem of spongy front brake lever) and installed the front exhaust section.

Once I get the fairing etc from Charlie I can fit that along with front indicators, headlight and fuse box and we should be very close to being able to do a test ride happy0159

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #129 on: 06-Jan-18, 12:16 »
Hi guys,

I think it was the clutch diode that Seagrass replaced.  As a matter of interest or not - rummaging through the shed this morning and getting the turbo fairing out - I had it covered with a blanket and sitting on a milk crate - discovered I had another box of goodies I had forgotten about - it was another throttle assembly - complete with right hand switch block, throttle cables, throttle tube,  fuel pressure regulator and throttle bodies - complete package minus the injectors.... amazing what you find    lol

There might even be enough room to park the turbo  - but I might need to redesign the layout - and move/remove my compressor/welder/pressure washer/trolley/spare turbo motor/a few used 4 litre oil containers/2 boat fuel tanks 30 litre and 10 litre/storage shelves/and I might be good to go....lol again...I'm not posting pictures as it is too dangerous to walk in without the appropriate safety helmet and work cover approval     lmao

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #130 on: 18-Feb-18, 18:06 »
It's only been 6 weeks since the last post.

So it's been summer and it's been hot, picked up Harry's fuel tank from Seagrass' this afternoon - so ready to swap with my original repaired one from Harry when he is on the way home from VJMC.

Picked up some more gaskets from the US to replace the ones Seagrass' has used from his own supplies. Replaced the push in bulbs in the dash with new LED's - glad the dash was easy to get to - reckon this job takes some dexterous use of fingers - which I though Seagrass' did very well.

Dropped over the fairing, screen, a few plastic bits etc... so getting closer to giving it a squirt down a long driveway.  Will be taking over the injectors I purchased from the USA, as the bike has a stumble - so as a process of elimination put some different injectors in and see if that eliminates the stumble.

Cheers guys.

2angel

jhovel

« Reply #131 on: 18-Feb-18, 23:35 »
Seagrass,
I have also bled the brakes (still having the normal problem of spongy front brake lever) and installed the front exhaust section.
Have you tried the "ziptie around the tight brake lever and throttle handle for a few days" trick? I have on a fe occasions where head scratching didn;t change anything and on some of those occasions it alleviated the problem :)

Seagrass

« Reply #132 on: 19-Feb-18, 07:29 »
Seagrass,
Have you tried the "ziptie around the tight brake lever and throttle handle for a few days" trick? I have on a fe occasions where head scratching didn;t change anything and on some of those occasions it alleviated the problem :)

Joe I have tried that and it does make a difference but this bike then reverts to a soft brake lever after a week or so. I suspect the problem is a bit of air still in th Elaine OR the brake hoses are just too old and soft.

Seagrass

Mins Man

« Reply #133 on: 19-Feb-18, 10:02 »
Joe I have tried that and it does make a difference but this bike then reverts to a soft brake lever after a week or so. I suspect the problem is a bit of air still in th Elaine OR the brake hoses are just too old and soft.

Yes get the moths out of your wallet Charlie and buy some braided lines.
It's worth it in the long run.   happy0062

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #134 on: 19-Feb-18, 13:14 »
Harry,

No moths in my wallet. If Seagrass recommends some new lines - no problem. I had another master cylinder which I think will be Ok - so will wait and see how that pans out first - but some new braided lines are not a problem if the old ones are no good.

cheers

2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #135 on: 19-Feb-18, 13:19 »
Eroded (Hard) or missing dust caps on the brake calliper sliders can also do that.

If you know the air is gone from the lines & no more air comes out when bleeding a week later, then it's likely that the pads are falling away from the disk due to looseness in the sliders.

You may remember that it took me ages to work out how to fit those bloody things on the wasp.  lmao lmao

It did fix the brakes though.  :good: :good:

Seagrass

« Reply #136 on: 19-Feb-18, 19:54 »
Eroded (Hard) or missing dust caps on the brake calliper sliders can also do that.

If you know the air is gone from the lines & no more air comes out when bleeding a week later, then it's likely that the pads are falling away from the disk due to looseness in the sliders.

You may remember that it took me ages to work out how to fit those bloody things on the wasp.  lmao lmao

It did fix the brakes though.  :good: :good:

Ian you may well have just pointed me in the right direction. I was given front callipers that had been rebuilt BUT they had been rebuilt at least a couple of years before.

It is very possible that the calliper rubbers are “grabbing” the pistons so I will pull them down and clean them up and then see what happens once I get them back on the bike.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #137 on: 02-Apr-18, 15:15 »
Well a bit more of an update,

This information is only what I think has happened since the latest post - but I'm sure there is much more to elaborate on.

Visited Seagrass this morning and dropped off a few more bits and pieces - two new Iridium spark plugs, a few bolts, air cleaner cover, another headlight etc..picked up two injectors that may not be working or performing correctly - will look at them and give them an ultrasonic clean plus have an injector tester I can hook up while in the ultrasonic as well.

The bike does not appear to be blowing any more smoke at all (woo hoo - woo hoo)- problem was a blockage in the tube running from the canister back to the air cleaner - this was replaced - would have caused positive crankcase pressure thereby not letting the oil under gravity feed back to the sump from the turbo unit causing the oil to back up and seep out the exhaust sealing ring.

Bike is running but has a stumble when cold apparently, also when warmed up - looking for reasons for this as well.

Front brakes working well - master cylinder has been cleaned out - return port may have been clogged with debris.

All lights and indicators working properly. Tyres are nearly vintage - and showing some signs of serious cracks - ok for a test ride - but very high on the agenda when it will go for a pink slip check.

Seagrass

« Reply #138 on: 02-Apr-18, 18:06 »
I should have updated this long ago to keep everyone up to date, thanks Charlie for prompting me.

The front brake problem I was chasing was indeed the “dust seals” on the calipers grabbing the pistons. Once I removed the old dust seals and replaced them with new ones (the old ones were also damaged) the calipers worked much better. Unfortunately over a period of time the master cylinder lost its feel/pressure and the brake lever would go to the handle bars again. It turned out the master cylinder was allowing brake fluid to “bleed back”. I cleaned out the second master cylinder Charlie had supplied and installed it and then had good brake feel.

Once I had found the blocked crankcase ventilation house and replaced it, the turbo stopped weeping oil (and blowing smoke). After now having the bike run several times (for extended periods), I am quite happy with how it is running in general BUT it has quite a “flat spot” just above idle. The other thing that I have noticed is that the choke mechanism does not appear to be working so it is quite possible that this is causing the flat spot. I have checked the coolant hoses that feed the choke and they appear to be OK so I will now remove the choke mechanism to check it (the bimetallic strip and mechanism may be siezed) and hopefully get it working correctly.

There may also be a slight exhaust leak near the left head which I need to investigate further.

Getting very close to being able to get it on the road.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #139 on: 02-Apr-18, 18:37 »
Thanks Seagrass,

I have been reading the manual and I think I may have a spare air valve assembly - and/or another throttle body assembly if that is required. Let me know if you need me to dig it out - plus it will give me a chance to clear my front shed of the clutter - maybe even able to fit the Turbo back in when it comes home lol.   2angel

charlie

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #140 on: 05-Apr-18, 18:19 »
Seagrass,

Been doing some more research and I think I have a suggestion for the flat spot remedy.  These links suggest a solution we can try, I have several sensors we can swap out to see if this is the issue.

PB sensor & sensor testing

http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx500-cx650-turbo-forum/3507-cx500t-will-not-idle-properly-misses.html

http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx500-cx650-turbo-forum/17499-pb-sensor-replacement-2.html

Had my maiden voyage last evening after the new Suzuki MAP sensor.

I can tell you, if your turbo has ANY driveability issues like coughing, hiccups, hesitation, backfire, poor throttle response, etc., at light loads....

CHANGE THE MAP (Pb) SENSOR!

I don't remember even the turbo I bought new running this well. It's absolutely smooth, hot or cold.

I finally got around to swapping out the old PB sensor with the one recommended here. Can't thank you guys enough for all the great info and for finding this sensor.

Entire time I have owned the bike it has had bit of a stumble, didn't like lower RPMs and would often stall out at an idle until it got warmed up. I got the new sensor wired in and touched the starter, it fired right up and settled into a perfectly smooth idle. I am excited to get some new tires and see how this does out on the road.

With the Suzuki sensor we have replaced two sensors in one, the Pb and P1 which are the same

Seagrass

« Reply #141 on: 05-Apr-18, 18:56 »
Thanks Charlie. I will install my spare PB sensor and see if it makes any difference

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #142 on: 05-Apr-18, 19:07 »
Seagrass,

Those topics made for some interesting reading - I hope it might be just an old out of spec sensor - as most of the comments I gleaned were along the lines of the sensors passed the static tests ( which you have done - and all within spec) - but not passing a dynamic test ie when riding.

It was also interesting to note that one comment mentioned - disconnect the Pb sensor and start the bike up - if it works normally - then the sensor is the culprit - and you can do this for each of the remaining sensors to isolate the issue (apart from the Ne sensors).

cheers

Charlie

Seagrass

« Reply #143 on: 05-Apr-18, 19:28 »
Thanks Charlie, I had also gleaned most of that info after a quick read.

Sorry you could not get me on the phone, I was updating it while I was reading that info.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #144 on: 05-Apr-18, 19:38 »
No problems - hope this is the issue - will make it a bit simpler to fix hopefully.

I will look into the options of getting maybe two suzuki map sensors off ebay or a wrecker if all our orignals don't measure up...

Time to watch football...  2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #145 on: 09-Apr-18, 22:55 »
You blokes will remember that similar symptoms also happen with leaking inlet manifolds won't you?

Just on the off chance.  :2afro: :2afro:

82 Turbo & 2001 Valkyrie

« Reply #146 on: 10-Apr-18, 08:20 »
Thanks Ian,

Duly noted - will add that to the list of possibilities...

thanks

Charlie

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt