Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: YSS RD222 Rear Suspension  (Read 208 times)

Cass

YSS RD222 Rear Suspension
« Started on: 25-Mar-18, 11:57 »
Anybody using YSS RD222 Rear Shocks?

Cass

Rustynail

Re: YSS RD222 Rear Suspension
« Reply #1 on: 26-Mar-18, 15:48 »
Dont know about RD222 specifically, but I did put a pair of the 'economy' (el cheapo) range on the back of my CX500 a year or so ago. My opinion is they are barely acceptable, the spring rate os OK (bordering on the soft side) but the damping is poor. Softish springs with good damping would be OK, but these bounce, just like the originals when they got a bit tired. Result: boing, boing, boing -a bit like a kangaroo. I cant afford to go buying anything else, they'll just have to do for now.That's just my experience, Paul

tjf68

« Reply #2 on: 27-Mar-18, 11:00 »
Second on those cheap shocks, I put them on my Shadow about 2 years ago, cost around a $100 off Ebay.  They are just a little softer than standard (thinner wire but with less coils) damping barely acceptable (ie a step up from standard shocks with 80K on them but you can tell they are cheap) 

I would only buy if you needed a pair to get a bike on the road (ie you were missing shocks) but if you have a pair on your bike better to save money and buy something a bit better (although unfortunately will probably treble the price of these Chinese cheapies)

Cass

« Reply #3 on: 27-Mar-18, 11:37 »
Thanks for the info on the cheap ebay shocks, however these RD222 are in the same range as Hagon shocks, they're made in Thailand, Australian company from Adelaide.

https://suspensionsrus.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=23&product_id=104

Classic look compared with original '81 shadow shocks. Not bad price and rebuildable as well.

Cass

johnmck

« Reply #4 on: 27-Mar-18, 14:36 »
Thanks for the info on the cheap ebay shocks, however these RD222 are in the same range as Hagon shocks, they're made in Thailand, Australian company from Adelaide.

https://suspensionsrus.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=23&product_id=104

Classic look compared with original '81 shadow shocks. Not bad price and rebuildable as well.

Cass

How much are they Cass?

tjf68

« Reply #5 on: 27-Mar-18, 14:43 »
Yes, we knew that YSS and Hagon are a number of steps up from cheap Ebay but just relaying our experience in regards to the cheapies so you don't get tempted to go cheap  2smiley

Hagon are still available from Wemoto from memory.  Then once you do the rear don't forget to show some love on the front to get full benefit as sometimes fitting decent suspension at one end can show up weaknesses in the other.  I'd only be talking about perhaps using some spacers to get pre-load right and different oil to adjust damping.  Perhaps a set of seals if you take it all apart (although not necessary for fluid change if you have drain bolts and adding spacers)

Cass

« Reply #6 on: 28-Mar-18, 08:08 »
Factory direct price is as follows:

Chrome (70 - 100Kg) - $285.55 Not including postage

over 100kg $50 per shock. - $386.55

Black ( 70 -100kg) - $236.55 Not including postage

Over 100kg -$50 per shock. - $336.55

https://store.suspensionshop.org/shhtw-tr16-streettwin-16-17-street-twin-yss-classic-twin-1-pair.html

Cass

Ps Thanks for the advise Tjf68 and Paul.

Rustynail

« Reply #7 on: 03-Apr-18, 19:43 »
They look very much like the basic YSS that I bought from Adelaide. I have Hagon 'economy' range shocks on my 1973 Triumph and they don't compare to the YSS at all. The Hagons have very strong damping, possibly a tad too strong while the YSS have too little damping. The difference in the ride between my CX500 fitted with YSS and the Triumph fitted with Hagon is chalk and cheese. I would advise buying the Hagon any day.

You might get away with YSS on a CX500 if you were very light and didn't intend to carry a passenger. I am 90kg in riding gear.

Let us know how you get on..

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt