Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: fish oil in the frame  (Read 468 times)

gm

fish oil in the frame
« Started on: 02-Apr-18, 09:44 »
HI Gurus
I've started to restore a 650e.
I've stripped it down to the frame.  I sand blasted the frame (it was rusty) then sprayed it with an epoxy black gloss.  the inside of the frame has a dusting of rust and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Would fish oil be appropriate or will this just allow the rust to continue under cover?
gm

Seagrass

Re: fish oil in the frame
« Reply #1 on: 02-Apr-18, 10:52 »
Fish oil is supposed to provide a layer over the rust to exclude any oxygen. This is therefore supposed to stop the rust as rust is “oxidised iron” (if you remove the oxygen the rusting process cannot continue)

The trick is making sure you get the fish oil on every surface, which can be difficult on the inside of a frame.

This is one of the reasons most good quality modern cars are dipped in an anti-corrosion emulsion after the frames are made.

Certainly worth giving it a try and the more fish oil you use probably the better it will be. I would probably try three applications of fish oil, each time rotating the frame to a new position. Hopefully this will help to ensure you get 100% coverage.

Seagrass

rooray

« Reply #2 on: 02-Apr-18, 10:59 »
I've used Penetrol, buts it's more expensive. You get what you pay for.

gm

« Reply #3 on: 02-Apr-18, 12:23 »
thanks guys

Mins Man

« Reply #4 on: 02-Apr-18, 12:35 »
I would treat the existing rust with a product called Deoxidene which is phosphoric acid.
After the rust is neutralised, then I would coat it with fish oil or whatever.

gm

« Reply #5 on: 02-Apr-18, 17:07 »
I would treat the existing rust with a product called Deoxidene which is phosphoric acid.
After the rust is neutralised, then I would coat it with fish oil or whatever.
sounds good and I see how that would work on the hard to get to but visible spots.  I am not familiar with the use of phosphoric acid.  If I spray it inside the tubular sections of the frame does the acid neutralise itself or is there a chance that it will continue to eat the new metal once the rust has gone.  also if there is unrusted metal (unlikely but) will that react and commence corrosion?

muzza

« Reply #6 on: 02-Apr-18, 17:49 »
the local cats will think you are , well , the cats whiskers too

Seagrass

« Reply #7 on: 02-Apr-18, 18:18 »
Phosphoric acids needs rust to work and is quite harmless to normal iron/steel. The downside to spraying it on non rusted surfaces is that it will remain “wet” and the fish oil will not stick to the wet surface.

The instructions say that any excess phosphoric acid should be wiped off with a damp cloth (a bit hard to do on the inside of a frame).

Seagrass

doddsy1000

« Reply #8 on: 03-Apr-18, 18:10 »
+1 for the Penetrol.

(A description of how it works is on the tin.)

And I also found one on the "Net" http://www.floodaustralia.net/products/anti_corrosion/penetrol-anti_rust.php

happy0159 happy0159

Mins Man

« Reply #9 on: 03-Apr-18, 18:33 »
I seem to remember the instructions saying that you should remove as much loose flaky rust as possible.
Then I usually paint the Deoxidene on and leave it for about 12 hours, making sure that I don't contaminate the contents of the bottle.
When it's turned black it's finished doing it's job, and I wash the residue off and dry the surface with a heat gun.
Then it's ready for primer and paint.

gm

« Reply #10 on: 03-Apr-18, 21:06 »
thanks again
as always, most helpful
gm

Cass

« Reply #11 on: 04-Apr-18, 17:39 »
Thought about POR 15.

gm

« Reply #12 on: 08-Apr-18, 09:35 »
thanks Cas
this looks like pretty good stuff although trying to complete the process in side the frame might prove a bit difficult.  I'll see if I can find a way to work this in.
thanks again

Seagrass

« Reply #13 on: 08-Apr-18, 12:25 »
Graham it may be better to take the frame to a good powder coater as they can clean the frame and then put it in a bath to zinc anneal it. This should get all the rust off of the inside and outside and also then treat the frame with a coating that resists rust.

You can then get them to powder coat it too if you want to.

Seagrass

rooray

« Reply #14 on: 08-Apr-18, 19:30 »
I've never seen a frame rust through from the inside out.
I've only seen them sitting on the ground for a few years and rust out. I've had them outside as a rolling chassis, only getting surface rust.
Fish oil or Rustbuster should be fine.

Cass

« Reply #15 on: 09-Apr-18, 16:52 »
KBS Cavity Coater.

About 8.40 min in,

Here is another Product.

http://ppcco.com.au/eastwood83.html

gm

« Reply #16 on: 15-Apr-18, 09:04 »
the cavity coater at the end seems interesting.

VladTepes

« Reply #17 on: 13-Jun-18, 17:25 »
Fish oil smells, so use something else. Please.

Mins Man

« Reply #18 on: 13-Jun-18, 17:36 »

What's wrong with a few cats following you?  :dontknow:

SlotBaker

« Reply #19 on: 13-Jun-18, 20:50 »
Graham it may be better to take the frame to a good powder coater as they can clean the frame and then put it in a bath to zinc anneal it.

May not be "zinc anneal", but rather "zinc phosphate'.
 :unsure:

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt