Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 268833 times)

madmechanic

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8050 on: 14-Feb-18, 15:37 »
I have one stock blue shadow tank in pretty good cond left but the clear coats coming off its such a shame that said the side cover headlight and tail piece are like new . worse luck my on GL400 custom wing it has great factory paint but its that horrible dark maroon colour . dam shame

Seagrass

« Reply #8051 on: 14-Feb-18, 17:07 »
Mr Sheen?  Theoretically, it is possible that after 30 years and 107,000Ks, the petrol tank looks like that!  Where is the fading?  Where are the scratches/dents?  And that is the original decal next to the filler cap?  Presumably if he has being applying Mr Sheen every two weeks, he is in effect polishing the polish, and so the paint has never been exposed to oxygen, moisture, ozone, abrasive dust, etc.  Presumably also Mr Sheen provides a barrier to UV radiation, or the owner either did those 107,000Ks at night or in the shade!  happy0197

Krisby once you have been around for a while and get to know some of the people from this forum personally and see their motorbikes (if they let you) you might be very surprised at how good a condition some of the unrestored bikes are in.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8052 on: 14-Feb-18, 18:44 »
Madmechanic,

My thoughts might possibly go to someone trying to replace the seal - and they have tried to hammer it out or in? but yes I think removal of the rear case is a distinct possibility.

johnmck

« Reply #8053 on: 15-Feb-18, 16:42 »
I have one stock blue shadow tank in pretty good cond left but the clear coats coming off its such a shame that said the side cover headlight and tail piece are like new . worse luck my on GL400 custom wing it has great factory paint but its that horrible dark maroon colour . dam shame
Hi Mad Mechanic, would the headlight match my 1980 Custom and is it for sale?

doddsy1000

« Reply #8054 on: 18-Feb-18, 10:09 »
Well that house we were trying to sell, has sold.

We accepted an offer a few weeks ago, but it only completed the conditions on Friday to become a real deal.

The downside, is that they needed a 60 day settlement & 2 weeks of that are now gone.

Sooo, Doddsy needs to finish a bike for Tamworth, go to the Superbikes at Phillip Island & move house pretty much all at the same time.

Not that we have a house to move in to yet.

And of course, earn a living in the meantime.  lmao lmao lmao

Why does all of that sound "normal"?  2funny 2funny

Onetrack

« Reply #8055 on: 18-Feb-18, 10:20 »
Dodsy, did you keep the teddy?

Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8056 on: 18-Feb-18, 12:50 »
Sounds like time for payback - move in with your children for 20 years   :)

Glad it has sold for you Ian, timing is never right for anything. Hope you have been looking for another house in the meantime - caravan parks are plentiful for short term - until you get organised - or you could go the grey nomad route?

Cheers

Charlie

doddsy1000

« Reply #8057 on: 19-Feb-18, 12:47 »
The teddy is hiding & I don't blame it  lmao lmao

I wouldn't let anyone talk to me about a new house until this one sold, or they'd have me stitched up even more.  :prisoner:

So, we need to rent for a while as it isn't realistic (or even possible) to buy again so quickly.

My wife is starting to see how "different" our house is to the average rental.

I don't think she likes rentals.  lmao lmao

Mins Man

« Reply #8058 on: 20-Feb-18, 10:13 »
Just saw on the morning news that the Taxation Office has introduced a dob in a bludger policy........ rolleye0012
Hmmm......anyone got their phone number?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8059 on: 20-Feb-18, 11:42 »
1300harry - is that it?

Dero

« Reply #8060 on: 11-Mar-18, 11:05 »
This long weekend I've been trying to get a bit of work done on the bike while I have a bit of time.
Thanks to the generous help of some forum members, my bike is running absolutely beautifully at the moment, so I have finally made a start on some cosmetic issues.
After my prang last year, I've been riding around with a really chewed up cowl and headlight. As always, money is tight, so I have tried to fix this as cheaply as possible in the short term (and in a way I can easily put the bike back to stock once I have replaced the original parts). At this stage I'm much more interested in function rather than form, so it's not pretty, but I kind of like it - a bit of a Mad Max thing going on.
I used an old headlight bucket I've had lying around for years (don't even remember what bike it's off) with some $5 ebay brackets and suddenly I'm a cafe racer! At the moment I've just got the speedo bolted to the triple with a bracket I cut out of some sheet metal (no idiot lights yet...).
I'm considering investing in one of those Acewell jobs at some point, if funds allow. The Acewells don't have a temp gauge, but I was thinking about rigging up a simple microcontroller connected to the temp sensor that will just beep a piezo buzzer if temps start to climb (those buzzers can be bloody loud), or perhaps rigging it up so that the fuel gauge on the Acewell acts as a temperature gauge. Alternatively, I was thinking about keeping an eye peeled for some clocks from a Custom, I assume they'd bolt straight on.
Either way the point is moot until I can find $250 for a gauge  :dontknow:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8061 on: 11-Mar-18, 12:32 »
Put new front pads in the Valkyrie on friday - and did discover one of the spring clips that hold the pads firm was missing - that is probably the reason for the clunk when backing off power. Have ordered another clip - I knew this was missing from the first inspection when I got the bike last year, but I had forgotten to order one - not to worry - new part here by wednesday - before I go away again.

Cheers

grod

« Reply #8062 on: 11-Mar-18, 15:36 »
the bike is almost ready for rego, shifter, grips and exhaust to connect on the broken side then its done.

Almost 12 months since the stack and I may be back on the road.

g

muzza

« Reply #8063 on: 11-Mar-18, 15:44 »
went for a country cruise on my 650 Custom , came home and off-loaded my sons disused big go kart to a mate , so now I have room in my shed again. No doubt something will come along to fill that space ....

doddsy1000

« Reply #8064 on: 19-Mar-18, 09:01 »
In the throes of moving house  NailBiter NailBiter

At least I could ride both of my bikes to the new (rented) place.  The CB900 & the VFR750 (Both are running rough  lmao).

The CX500 wrecks & the old 650 Katana are still stored at my daughters house.

The poor things have an uncertain future at the moment, but they're under covers & out of sight  :2afro:

And now for chapter 10,000  2funny

Dero

« Reply #8065 on: 23-Mar-18, 21:34 »
Hope the move has concluded successfully Doddsy. If you're looking for a place to offload some CX500 hulks, I'm your man (as long as they can stay at your daughter's house till I need em, no room here!!)

Fixed my throttle cable today which snapped last week with a $15 ebay jobbie that arrived quickly. It's not perfect though... the cable was new (ie not lubed) when I bought it, and I was trying to work out what to use. Chain lube! I thought, in my stupidity. So I grabbed the can a sprayed liberally down the cable, and then shortly after discovered that it contains some kind of glue which is meant to stick on the chain. So every leaf and speck of dust in my backyard is currently running up and down my throttle cable. Brilliant.

At $15 a pop I guess I should just get a couple more and do it properly, but I have had a week off riding so for the time being I just want to enjoy it for a little while.

On the plus side, I discovered that if you take the lid off the left hand carb it's easy to replace the cable without taking the carbs off the bike. I had to do this in the alleyway next to my house because I couldn't ride the bike up into my backyard to work on it, so was trying to do it as quick and dirty as possible. Quick ride to the bottleo and back shows that she's running like a charm, so no harm done. A friend of mine with a Z has asked me to join him on a charity ride on Good Friday so hopefully I'll be able to join him on the mighty CX and show those Kwaka boys how cool a longitudinally aligned engine is.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8066 on: 24-Mar-18, 09:18 »
Dero,

I would make the effort and probably get some spray degreaser and wash out your throttle cable - it will become very sticky and you may find the cable hanging up mid throttle when you don't want it to.

The throttle cable should last a long time as well.

cheers

VC3

« Reply #8067 on: 24-Mar-18, 15:08 »
Hi Charlie - what do you use on cables?  I've got to lube the new cables on my project and am thinking about using a graphite spray (sold for locks) for the tach and speedo cables, standard cable spray for the others...

Victor

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8068 on: 24-Mar-18, 18:25 »
Hi Victor,

I purchased some graphite powder many years ago in a squeeze bottle. It is the messiest stuff to use- but basically pull the inner cable out - and squirt the powder into the inner and keep moving the cable in and out. I have also made a paper funnel to wrap around the top of the cable to try and not lose as much powder.

Messy but worth it - most cables also come pre-lubed.

cheers  :)

white knight

« Reply #8069 on: 25-Mar-18, 06:00 »
Finish Line Dry Bike Lubricant-Its Teflon based and used mainly for lubricating push bike chains-brilliant on cables.Or the ever faithful standby-INOX!!!

muzza

« Reply #8070 on: 25-Mar-18, 06:45 »
spent yesterday collecting a rusty CX400 Custom for parts . Most of the bits are the same as 650 Custom bits so now I have spares ;-)

J.C.

« Reply #8071 on: 31-Mar-18, 21:12 »
Spent eight hours on a quad bypass today... one of the starter clutch springs had broken and the spring/cap was jammed in it's little hole, so the roller wasn't doing what it was meant to... the starter driven gear was totally tanked from (apparently) years of starting like that, worst flat spots I have ever seen.

First one I've found to ever have the oil filter washer in situ, mind.

grod

« Reply #8072 on: 01-Apr-18, 14:48 »
but you finished it right?

g

J.C.

« Reply #8073 on: 01-Apr-18, 18:05 »
I got through dropping the motor, putting it on the bench, the stuff under the front cover and the rear engine stuff - just have the rear cover stuff to do. Was working at a very relaxed pace.

J.C.

« Reply #8074 on: 22-Apr-18, 22:27 »
Spent the last couple of evenings training on the gasket cutter... did my first run tonight:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/866/41621458741_6a99982839_b.jpg

(yes, a couple of the bolt holes aren't punched out yet) The little camshaft holder gaskets fit neatly in the available space around the other ones, but I can see that I am going to have rather a surplus of those if I keep this up...

It's rather satisfying finally getting it all right and watching the gaskets appear before your eyes. Less so the many hours of practice before that which resulted in bags of shredded material  cool0010

I should be able to put together some decent gasket kits at this rate!

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt