Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Phreaks phingy.  (Read 9330 times)

CX PHREAK

Phreaks phingy.
« Started on: 05-Apr-13, 22:45 »
 Been bashing at various  things with a couple of hammers today.

Started with this.

Since I timed out before I took any more pictures you can wait to see what I'm up to.

Aint that extended binnacle lovely? Gotta keep that. lmao

Akamax

Re: Phreaks phingy.
« Reply #1 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:08 »
Mmmmmmm, I've never seen one of those before!

CX PHREAK

« Reply #2 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:10 »
It's unique and simply exquisite.

The precious is mine.  lmao

doddsy1000

« Reply #3 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:17 »
It actually looks like it's going to be a 3 seater  2coolsmiley

CX PHREAK

« Reply #4 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:19 »
Nup, just one. happy0159

doddsy1000

« Reply #5 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:22 »
Is it missing part of the frame or are all shadows like that?

CX PHREAK

« Reply #6 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:26 »
Standard, as yet unaltered shadow frame. This will change.

doddsy1000

« Reply #7 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:30 »
Have fun  2smitten 2smitten

CX PHREAK

« Reply #8 on: 05-Apr-13, 23:34 »
 happy0158

This bikes purpose is fun and using up some of the less cosmetically desirable bits - expect lots of black paint.  happy0062

CX PHREAK

« Reply #9 on: 06-Apr-13, 20:43 »
I started mocking this one up out of assorted stuff I've been stashing. I have a set of Mbars I was going to use, and still might. These are the bars that were on this already flipped. Don't know what sort they are, but they should do. The position's not too bad for this sort of thing. The pegs will need to be moved back a little for these to work.

Took me quite a while to get the rusty exhaust system apart and off. It's pretty much junk, was hoping at least for a repairable H box. The 2 into 1 is the pipe this bike will have, it's just hanging on there at the moment. I was fitting it just before I came in and found it's a bit 'tweaked'. I'll untweak it tomorrow.

Been doing a lot of massaging on the rear of the custom tank to get it to fit back on the shadow rear mount. Have achieved this with @ a 3mm clearance. It took more beating then I'd have expected due to the frames broadening taper at the very point where you are trying to slide the narrower custom tank back. Basically, the further back and down I moved it, the more it had to be opened up to go further. Anyway, happy with the result.

This tank is unmodified. This is as low and as far back as it will go on a shadow frame.

And this is mine.

This puts the fuel tap here. A job for centrefeed carbs.

I will also lower the front of the tank to 5mm or so clearance at the upper radiator hose, the highest point in this area. May yet rebate the tank seam a little too.

The purpose of all this, rather than using the front mounting points and working back? Well, the tank will mount as per standard. I like the way it looks, just to be different and what it does for steering lock. I don't like crushed thumbs and tank dings, let alone restricted steering lock.

Left clearance, full lock.

And right.

And yes, I know it's a pile of $h!+.  happy0062

Akamax

« Reply #10 on: 06-Apr-13, 21:35 »
That's my kind of pile of $h!+, something about a bitsa that you just gota love!!

Staffy

« Reply #11 on: 06-Apr-13, 21:39 »
 happy0158 happy0167

CX PHREAK

« Reply #12 on: 06-Apr-13, 21:43 »
You can see what you're doing better without the distraction of shiny. rolleye0012

doddsy1000

« Reply #13 on: 06-Apr-13, 21:56 »
That's about the same condition that I let teh CB900 get to.

See you in 5 years  2funny 2funny 2funny

Moose

« Reply #14 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:42 »
Love it so far. Don't mind a proper rat bike, assuming it don't get all shiiiiiiiiiiiney, this one definitely qualifies!  happy0159

CX PHREAK

« Reply #15 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:45 »
It'll end up with some shiny. There'll be a lot of multitoned black. rolleye0012

Moose

« Reply #16 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:51 »
It'll end up with some shiny. There'll be a lot of multitoned black. rolleye0012

Bleck is good! I'm a real fan of it. Usually try to build "triple black's"  when I'm doing it.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #17 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:55 »
I like to drink double Jacks while I'm doing it.  lmao Stainless hardware looks good against bleck too.

Is bleck a mis spelling/typo or are you South African? rolleye0012

Moose

« Reply #18 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:58 »
I like to drink double Jacks while I'm doing it.  lmao Stainless hardware looks good against bleck too.

Is bleck a mis spelling/typo or are you South African? rolleye0012

It's Sout Atrican.

Sorry it's more like an uncontrolled tik now! Ever since I saw Leathal Weapon as a kid it stuck to me and comes out at the most inopportune times! rolleye0012

Moose

« Reply #19 on: 06-Apr-13, 22:59 »
MMMmmmmmm, Double Blecks!

CX PHREAK

« Reply #20 on: 06-Apr-13, 23:02 »
Suid Afika?

Johnny, Jimmy or Jecks. Any'll do... lmao

Try reading Tom Sharpes 'Indecent exposure' and 'Riotous assembly'. The South Africans deported him back to Britain for the books and plays he wrote poking $h!+ at apartheid.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #21 on: 07-Apr-13, 22:22 »
Set out today to get the front of the tank mounted, Trimmed a few bits and pieces of the bracketry at the front of the tank, put in a bit of a radiused rebate in the seam over the radiator hose. That's as low as it will go, it's nearly sitting on the valve covers.

Jacked tank up 4 mm for clearance, centred it with mounting bolts, levelled with a small spirit level on the fuel cap.

Went to get the steel slugs to weld to the frame.

Spent half the day looking.......

I guess I'll run something down this week.  2 half inch thick mild steel discs 33 mm across or the steel to cut same from. The sort of thing I've got a tin full of... somewhere. rolleye0012 Anyway, these will be drilled and tapped to M8 x 125 to receive the tank mounting bots. Same as a standard custom  2shocked

Oh yeah, I've got bits of steel from .5mm up to 2" thick. No flamin half inch.  2tickedoff

Got the exhaust on for fit checking. The 1 on my custom I can get my hand between it and the oil filter. Oil filter had to be removed to fit pipes, then didn't want to fit back. It did after a visit from Mr. flapwheel to 2 of the fins.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #22 on: 14-Apr-13, 22:21 »
Finished off the front tank mounts today. Got the slugs cut from a lump of 32mm bar at the local metal shop. They gave me the steel, but I had to pay for the cuts. Drilled them and tapped them to M8 x 1.25 to match original hardware.

Tank was aligned, centred and levelled and the slugs were tacked to the gusset. The tank was removed and more tacks were added. Ground back my ugly welds and then thought I'd get busy with the bog and blend them into the forward engine hanger tube as they looked a bit awkward. Then I ran a flapwheel over the factory welds to knock off the dags and high spots and bevelled the rear of the gusset. Then a bit more bog smearing. The frame kneck of this bike is very visible so I thought I'd clean it up 70s custom style as that's what the general look of this area of the bike now puts me in mind of. Can you tell yet that I make it up as I go along? rolleye0012

Also removed the original tank mounting points, the tubes for the coil mounts and rear hanger and welded these up.

Had to make a couple of minor revisions to the front engine hanger to address possible engine clearance issues on removal/refitting.

This project will be sidelined for a little while now while I devote some CX time to getting Frans frame and associated bits painted and up to rolling frame point.

Anyway, here's where I've got to.

This is a dry build in case anyone hadn't yet guessed. happy0062

doddsy1000

« Reply #23 on: 14-Apr-13, 22:56 »
Can you tell yet that I make it up as I go along?

Yep, done that once or twice.

Watch out though.  Continual changing of mind slows progress a lot.

That's why my CB900 has taken so long.  2undecided 2undecided 2undecided

whitey56

« Reply #24 on: 15-Apr-13, 05:50 »
I can understand why the previous owner moved the binnacle forward, after spending 15 minutes to get my headlight back in place it make sense to have all the multiplugs on the outside. What a PIA.
Good luck with the build.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle