Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 7269 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Started on: 10-Jun-14, 19:38 »
Well,

This is in response to a very polite request to document my Turbo rebuild/refurbishment process, and progress to date..

"It was a dark and stormy night" - that is how it really started....

next instalment tomorrow

2tongue

I'll include the link here to my photobucket account where all the photos of the Turbo are located. I'll keep adding the photos as I go and try not to overload the thread with the images. thanks

Cx500Turbo Slideshow by 81custom | Photobucket

CX PHREAK

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jun-14, 19:47 »
 Whip

Staffy

« Reply #2 on: 10-Jun-14, 20:54 »
I know how this story ends.... the 650 did it!  lmao

FatFurryGuy

« Reply #3 on: 10-Jun-14, 21:57 »
Is this gonna be a purple bike story

grod

« Reply #4 on: 10-Jun-14, 22:01 »

"It was a dark and stormy night"

Cant wait for the next installment, but the entire story could take a while

g

B33

« Reply #5 on: 11-Jun-14, 05:06 »
Excellent!  Thank you.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #6 on: 11-Jun-14, 08:05 »
Ok,

I did start writing down some information last night - and so I will make the effort and post it up in sections with a few relevant photos per post if possible.

Hopefully I will be able to remember all the issues so far - and what has been done to get around them or fix them.

One of the problems I face is trying to get some form of timeline going - but it is down to the pictures I have taken from my phone and uploaded to photobucket which wil be the main source of memory - as at least I can take the date of the photos as some recognition of when some work has been done.

Put away the whips - for now

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #7 on: 11-Jun-14, 20:52 »
Chapter 1   “Will I or Won’t I”

I wanted a Turbo from when I went to Cowra for my first foray into meeting some like minded souls – and saw a beautiful line up of well presented bikes.

I did a lot of research and decided I would like to try and own one – but knew it would take a bit of luck and probably more money than I should spend on another bike. But I was reasonably determined and spent a fair bit of time trolling ebay, and other sources, then I finally saw a Turbo that I might be able to afford.

The description on ebay was badly titled – and at least I thought I had a chance with this one, if no one else found it or wanted it.

The pictures were not very clear and overall presentation not that brilliant.

Made some small talk with the seller over a few days – he seemed to know very little of the bike apart from someone owed him money and gave him the bike in payment of the debt. He did say it rode fine – but was a bit rough until it warmed up. I decided I would make a serious bid after I heard it start up over the phone connection… didn’t sound great – but it started (my first mistake).

Young Les was also interested in the bike, to be used as spares for a local Turbo collector, but I was able to manage a few more dollars and won the auction.

I paid on 3/5/2010 to the ebay seller the amount of $991.00, and then subsequent to the purchase also paid some $506.00 for transport costs.

The bike duly arrived in Penrith – and after unloading I stood back and went  -hmmmmmm (this word will be repeated quite often).

Date of arrival – per pictures is 19/5/2010.

Mins Man

« Reply #8 on: 11-Jun-14, 20:56 »
Hmmmm........it's an ex-army despatch rider bike......you can tell because it's painted Khaki Green.
Can you get a move on Charlie, I'd like to get to the end of the story in this lifetime!

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #9 on: 11-Jun-14, 20:58 »
***** Harry,

took me half an hour to remember where I was up to from last night.

check your eyes - it is Gold in colour - not khaki green mate

with my fat fingers I also need to do some serious editing to take out the typos to make it legible as well.

cheers :)

Mins Man

« Reply #10 on: 11-Jun-14, 21:00 »
Geez....this could take forever!

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #11 on: 11-Jun-14, 21:10 »
Chapter 2   “Reality”

After standing back and getting over the initial shock of the poor condition of the bike – yes it was complete, but everything was pretty ugly to look at. And pictures do tell a thousand words – but my first impressions were – I can do this – and I’m still saying that.

Walking around the bike – first impressions –
Side stand is flopping about – no spring and the kick down section is missing.
The centre stand  - works but flops up and down – wrong spring or something else missing
Damn this thing is heavy to put on the centre stand.

Key and well used manual  - including the EFI manual arrived separately two days previously – was also supposed to include the handlebar cover (that never arrived even after several requests).

Used the key (complete with Ear tag for cattle) to open the petrol tank – and nearly choked on the foul smell. Looking inside the tank – it had been previously lined  - but someone had done a very poor job at the original removal of the rust – as it had all peeled up or blistered inside the whole tank.

Ignition switch, held together with cable ties at the base – it had seen better days – managed to purchase at a good price an original NOS Turbo ignition switch and two keys with the emblems from Young Les (thank you).

Well at least it had good blinkers front and rear and a complete headlight (the front section anyway).

Put my hand on the left side rear mirror and it promptly fell off. The entire fitting had broken away from the front fairing frame, held by about 1mm of metal.

The old battery was removed – it had nearly rusted in place – no evidence of any water in it for several years – and not even a register of any voltage with a multimeter check.

There was oil in the motor – pretty black, but no water present. There was water in the radiator – even showed a slight tint of green  - no oil scum. Not looking like there had been any recent coolant leak from the weep hole.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #12 on: 11-Jun-14, 21:11 »
Chapter 3   “Progress”

Started having a closer view of the bike. This must have been used/abused/not cared for a long period of time – or been sitting outside in the dust and dirt or both.

I was considering if it presented any major electrical or mechanical issues I would just on sell the bike or strip it for parts – see if I could get my money back.

Took the plugs out – both as black as – sooted up really well.  Pumped a small amount of oil down each plug hole (two squirts of my trusty oil can). Hooked up a 110AH deep cycle battery and turned the motor over for a few minutes in short bursts.

Did a compression test and got about 90psi from both cylinders – at lest it was equal pressure, and who knows how it will respond when it is warmed up, and run for a while, maybe even a valve adjustment will help.

Got some new fresh fuel – dumped the old stuff straight out of the fuel outlet – as the fuel tap was hard to turn. Fuel not a very pleasant colour – but no discernible sediment came out of the fuel tank.  Managed to turn the fuel tap to off – then the tap started to leak badly – quickly turned it back to on and it slowed down enough and finally stopped dripping.

Put the plugs back in - check
Battery hooked up  - check
Ignition on – check
Appropriate dash lights -  oil, neutral, fuel – for two seconds then went out – check

Well here goes nothing – hit the button.

I've run out of time tonight....

I would hope I would be able to finish this story in your required timeframe - you tell me if I need to hurry up Harry.  2wink

Staffy

« Reply #13 on: 11-Jun-14, 22:24 »
Oh c'mon ya bum.  What's with the "we'll be right back after these messages" bollocks!  :well: lmao

FatFurryGuy

« Reply #14 on: 11-Jun-14, 22:48 »
Geez, I might actually get my stator in before this comes to fruition

Staffy

« Reply #15 on: 11-Jun-14, 22:55 »
Maybe he's aiming to beat the Bastardwing thread for the longest build thread  2funny

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #16 on: 11-Jun-14, 23:01 »
The more you nag - the less you get

:)

Mins Man

« Reply #17 on: 12-Jun-14, 08:19 »
If you haven't already fixed the side stand issue, I know what it is.
The clevis on the end of it is mild steel and opens up a bit, and the bolt wears a bit too, resulting in a floppy side stand.

You're welcome.... rolleye0012

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #18 on: 12-Jun-14, 11:01 »
Harry,

Fixed the floppy side stand - by replacing it.

I'll let you know how that happened in episode 4 chapter 99.

thanks

charlie

Mins Man

« Reply #19 on: 13-Jun-14, 08:36 »
I can hardly wait!    Whip

Staffy

« Reply #20 on: 13-Jun-14, 23:41 »
C'mon.  It's been 24 hours and 40 minutes since the last post Charlie.  Get into gear will ya!  2wink

Canuck13

« Reply #21 on: 14-Jun-14, 08:06 »
It's just bit of turbo lag. . . .

Just wait until it comes on tap!!!!

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #22 on: 14-Jun-14, 11:09 »
Chapter 4     “It Lives”

Well after a bit of encouragement the bike started.

There was a fair amount of blue smoke from the exhaust, probably from the oil I poured down the cylinders.
I also knew there was at least one big hole in the exhaust somewhere from the loud growl it was making.
From what I could take in immediately, there were no great clunks of metal hitting metal.
But it was running a little bit rough, I thought I would let it warm up a bit – but the bike stopped pretty quickly.  Checked both plug leads were on properly, kicked it in the guts again and the same result – but it did run a few seconds longer – probably about 15-20 seconds tops. It did this several times, and I then ran out of ideas so thought it best to stop and have a think, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm   well that didn’t really help.

I knew it could be one of 900 reasons why it wouldn’t run.
Plus, plug leads, coil/s, fuel filter, blocked fuel delivery, the list goes on and on. So I really didn’t do anything more on the bike for a few weeks.

A few things then happened, I had to find somewhere to keep the bike, so with assistance, a small slab of concrete and a 2m x 3m shed at the top of our driveway, the turbo found a new home.

A short time later I was in a forced no work situation, and had a few months in which time nothing was done.

But I did discover after another few startup attempts, and reading the manual the ECU diagnostic codes indicated that there was a problem with one of the engine NE speed sensors – after checking with a multimeter – it was confirmed. One of the sensors was faulty – so the motor could only run on one cylinder. It was never going to run on 2 until this was fixed.

Next option was to get replacement sensors, and after research of the forum and the US forum on how to fix the problem, found the appropriate sensors available on ebay, and purchased 2 new ones.

During my forced hiatus, I was also buying spare parts on ebay as investigations into the condition of the bike went from mild concern to another level.

I started to strip the bike from the front fairing backwards, and to keep some record of where everything was going to go back together the correct way. So I have lots of zip lock bags with various bits and pieces in them and all the labels have managed to fall off the bags.

More to follow.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #23 on: 14-Jun-14, 11:10 »
Chapter 5  “This is more than what I bargained for”

I decided that I needed to start stripping the bike down to a nearly restoration level, but I don’t have the money and patience to do this. So I determined I would fix everything I possibly can by myself, and buy parts as appropriate, fix up what I could and get on the road- who knows when.

After getting down to the front fairing frame – that needed welding of another bracket for the left hand mirror, my engineer son-in-law has been a great assist in doing some of this work for me. I removed the frame, gave it to him and it came back fixed. Gave it a good scrub down with emery paper, and primed and painted.

Next item was the steering head stem bearings – I removed the forks, brakes. Removed the steering stem – the overall condition didn’t look bad – just dry grease – so thought I would give them a clean up and repack – put them back on the bike. The bottom bearing fell to pieces when I tried washing down with some solvent – so new bearings and races were installed. The bottom race is awful to try and get to, and I finished up bending a screwdriver tip over to use as a punch to get this out, coming from the top race. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of angle to work with. But eventually done, and new tapered bearings installed.

Decided that the forks needed new seals – they were both leaking, and there is pitting on them – but after a very light clean up I hope they will be OK. After a total disassembly of both forks, I managed with great ease to destroy one of the top spacers trying to remove it (rusted in place). The solution was to buy a solid length of brass rod from the local metal recyclers, and after discussion to go visit Arty at Mittagong, and he then made up two new solid spacers, reamed out both. I also measured the spring length and they were slightly under spec, so the spacers were increased in length to compensate.

Note: Both these spacers were inscribed “Arty” as a result of his passing shortly after this visit took place.
“Vale Arty”.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #24 on: 14-Jun-14, 14:17 »
Chapter 6   “Red Dust and other nice surprises”

After putting the shocks back together and installing the new spacers, it was time to look at the front brakes.

The master cylinder reservoir has deteriorated substantially, but was still serviceable, but the lever was frozen, so I had the cylinder re-kitted. The local mechanic who did that for me only needed to lightly hone the cylinder, and all was good. The master cylinder has since been transferred to my custom as the newer after market remote I had put on, wouldn’t hold pressure (see the picture of Arty on my custom). I purchased a second hand VFR1000 master cylinder which is in excellent condition – to use on the Turbo.

Needed a new Brake switch connection as well – as the old one fell apart – another second hand purchase.

Had to strip and rebuild both front calipers, the seals were no good. All pistons were removed and polished up, no major issues here apart from spending several hours cleaning out the seal grooves. Installed new seals and new pads (3 sets of pads ordered from ebay). All good to go back on the bike when ready.

I forgot to mention that I also rebuilt the anti-dive on both front forks. Whether this system works properly remains to be seen. But at least I know the system is all serviced and cleaned up properly. The rubber seals/grommets both inner and outer have been replaced along with the circlips that hold everything in place. It is recommended in the manual to put a few drops of ATF on the pivot pins. I used some light grease, as I don’t intend to look at these again for a while. Also I used the recommended amount of fork oil in the front forks – and will see how the standard weight oil works before trying anything different.

One thing I know is that every nook and cranny of this bike has a fine and dense layer of red dust in it, on it, over it ,under it, around it. I have used liberal washing, scrubbing, scouring, pressure washing most everything to try and get it off. Most of it has disappeared, but as you undo another bolt, remove another part – there it is again.

Front switchgear had some nice surprises. Throttle assembly was gritty – you guessed it – full of red dust. Headlight switch was also tight to move – as a result of some dried grease/vaseline and a build up of the dreaded red dust – made a nice sticky compound. The left hand control was also gritty, but had the added attraction of small insect nests inside it. Both are now relatively clean of both dust and bugs.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt