Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 9308 times)

Mins Man

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #275 on: 27-Jul-19, 11:20 »
What's with the hand warmers, you big Sook? You're going to Canberra, not Alaska!
Did you take the opportunity to check your prostate while you had the camera out?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #276 on: 27-Jul-19, 11:39 »
Harry,

When I came home from Canberra a few weeks ago. I was stopping at Goulburn as per my usual to have a pie and coffee. When I went to use the front brake - my fingers had no feeling at all and when I took my gloves off I'm pretty sure I chipped some skin off.. so I invested in some muffs. whether they work well enough is still to happen.

You can't seem to fit your hand in them with even summer gloves on underneath - but there is a fair bit of draught coming through the right hand one - enough to make me get out the gaffer tape - it should look hilarious then.  But I don't care as long as my hands are warmer than a seals arse sitting in the south pole.

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #277 on: 27-Jul-19, 11:41 »
Nah I forgot to check my prostate - probably not a good look anyway.

I understand you quite enjoy the process...

:tease:

Mins Man

« Reply #278 on: 27-Jul-19, 15:00 »
Nah I forgot to check my prostate - probably not a good look anyway.

I understand you quite enjoy the process...

:tease:

Let's just say that I'm getting used to it.  :grandpa:

BUFF7454

« Reply #279 on: 27-Jul-19, 21:13 »
The metal piece looks like a bit of a tappet rocker to me.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #280 on: 24-Aug-19, 17:03 »
Good afternoon gentlemen,

Well one of the parking lights on the Turbo has been a little intermittent, so thought I would check that out a little bit today. Glad I did, as after removing the bonnet, the gauge visor fell off - I had lost the centre screw - somewhere.  So found another screw - now secure. The parking light bulb I thought had blown, so I went looking for a replacement - didn't have any. Had a quick look on ebay, think I might buy a couple of LED replacements.

Got the multi meter out - and both globes tested good - so swapped one side for the other - the problem didn't follow the globe - so I knew there was a wiring problem with the left side.  Used some emery paper to clean the connection at the base of the holder - but it appears it is from underneath where it attaches to the base.. cannot really get in there to check - but it now appears to be working OK.  Cleaned the wiring connections as well going to both parking lights.

When I removed the headlight the drivers side base screw connection had snapped off and came out by itself. The passenger side base was also cracked across the same space.

Pulled the headlight out. Plastic welded the pieces back together with my soldering iron - takes a bit of time - but worked fine - then smothered both sides with a few lengths of hot glue gun. Put it all back together. Everything works and I know the headlight won't fall out now    2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #281 on: 25-Aug-19, 19:28 »
Good Work.

A spray on contact cleaner is a great idea for the 6 por so connectors behind he headlight if you go back with your LED globes.

Those connectors are pretty much everything & not totally weather-proof.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #282 on: 08-Sep-19, 13:43 »
Good afternoon guys,

Hope you have all survived fathers day last weekend.

Getting back to doing a few things - and next project will be to pull the turbo fuel sensor to replace a bad thermistor.. or at least I think that's what it is..

I need to buy a thermistor and remove and resolder the new one in place- have watched a couple of videos to see how it is done, so am reasonably comfortable in doing this job.

Having trouble sourcing the right part. Research shows I need to buy the following:  NTC thermistor

RL2004-582-97-T10      apparently upgraded to
RL2004-582-97-D1

Problem is I have researched Jaycar, and a few other places- cannot seem to find one online. Does anyone know where I can get one or two (just in case I stuff up), without going overseas.

Found some on ebay - but cost at $10 plus shipping seems a bit pricey..

Any possible places to buy??
Thanks as always for your responses.

PS - having the seat re upholstered - should be done by the end of the week - the old one not an original has had enough - and cracked and split at the front seams.

Cheers

Charlie.

doddsy1000

« Reply #283 on: 08-Sep-19, 20:58 »
I can't find my copy of the service manual, but a thermistor surprises me.

They change resistance with changes in temperature.

And they also used to come in a variety of resistance ranges.  (10k, 100k, etc).

You're not thinking of the voltage regulator behind the dashboard are you mate?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #284 on: 08-Sep-19, 21:53 »
No Ian,

The 7 volt regulator was replaced by Seagrass with his manufactured one. The temp gauge works fine.

The actual fuel level gauge has a thermistor on the end of it - which sits in the fuel - when the fuel gets low it comes out of the fuel then heats up, completing the circuit and operating the light on the dash. If the thermistor fails then the light works all the time (that's what I am thinking anyway).

Cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #285 on: 08-Sep-19, 22:30 »
That sounds fair enough.

Assuming that you get the right value Thermistor.  :grandpa:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #286 on: 14-Sep-19, 19:49 »
I'll post some pictures of the newly covered seat tomorrow. Upholsterer added a small layer of foam at the front - it looks good and feels good.

The whole seat seems firmer - or it could be the old vinyl was not supple enough.

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #287 on: 15-Sep-19, 09:10 »
few photos

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

doddsy1000

« Reply #288 on: 15-Sep-19, 10:08 »
I hope you sink in to it a bit mate.

The turbo will throw you off the back if you catch it just right.

:crash:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #289 on: 15-Sep-19, 11:44 »
Pretty sure it won't throw me off the back  lol.

Will give it a trial run next weekend..

Managed to smash my supercheap auto solar panel - slipped off the back putting the seat back on - it is now officially in the bin - no voltage measurement coming out of it. New panel ordered off ebay for a similar price but is 10W instead of 5W, so it might maintain the battery a bit better. The old panel just held its own with the drain from the clock and alarm, so this one might actually charge the battery...

Cheers guys

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle