Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 7979 times)

Onetrack

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #250 on: 01-Dec-18, 19:34 »
Buff, here is your big chance to fix that problem, a 650 of course...
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/duncraig/motorcycles/honda-cx-650-turbo/1196416538

It only takes money.
"Young" Les F

white knight

« Reply #251 on: 02-Dec-18, 04:08 »
Sorry about the 4.5 year comment Chas,I was going by how long this thread has been going,but 8 years golly.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #252 on: 08-Dec-18, 15:20 »
Rode up to Katoomba this morning, and took my new braided lines with me.

Front brake lines replaced - took a little bit of time to get all the air out, the lever has a slightly harder feel to it.

Rear line replaced and the foot pedal bled up easily and the pedal is quite hard.

On the way home did not do any emergency stops - but they certainly do pull up quicker, and very firm on the rear.

Happy that they have been replaced.

Suspension is working very nicely - and the front seals (fingers crossed) have not leaked.

Cheers guys - now sitting in the air con.

Filled up on the way home - looks like I am getting about 20km per litre - and very impressed with that.

Still adjusting my throttle control and learning how to ride this best. The speedo is quite out of sync - judging by my DIGIHUD app on the phone - looks like
60 on the phone app  = just over 70km/h on speedo
70 on the phone app  = close to 85km/h on speedo
80 on the phone app  = a tad under 100km/h on speedo
100 on the phone app = close to 115km/h on speedo
110 on the phone app = close to 125km/h on speedo

Approximate 12% error - I can live with that  2angel

Seagrass

« Reply #253 on: 08-Dec-18, 15:51 »
My speedo was also out, but not quite that much. I had it rebuilt and calibrated at a cost of about $300 which hurt at the time but it is much better knowing it is correct.

Seagrass

BUFF7454

« Reply #254 on: 08-Dec-18, 16:54 »
20 k to the litre Charlie. What are you towing it with the Valkarie and counting the fuel it uses as well. The M109 1800 will do just under 18 without the trailer. Send it up here and I will see if I can fix it for you over the next 10 or so years.

doddsy1000

« Reply #255 on: 09-Dec-18, 10:11 »
If you're getting 20km for a litre, you might not be enjoying the Turbo benefit properly mate.  lmao lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #256 on: 09-Dec-18, 12:13 »
Ian,

I am enjoying the ride that's for sure - but being able to twist the throttle is an easy process- not getting caught when it comes on boost is the hard part.

Had a little squirt when in 4th gear coming onto the freeway start of the M4 bottom of Lapstone Hill - and had just passed a large police van  - hit the throttle and very quickly rolled up to 9k RPM - didn't bother looking behind me  lol.

Avatar and details changed as requested   NotWorthy

Also I had fuelled up a month ago - but not really kept the receipt and I have started it at least 5 times and let it run up to temp in the driveway and a run over and back for my historic check a few weeks ago. Not really a good indication of mileage or economy as yet. Plus I filled it up on the side stand yesterday - it leans a lot - if it was on the centre stand I might have put a few more litres in it as well.

Cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #257 on: 09-Dec-18, 23:40 »
Yep.  That brings back memories.

Joe Hovel & I had fun overtaking road trains on the way to Victor Harbor a few years back.

It's funny as I needed to replace the front tyre at Victor Harbor itself to get around because it had scalloped.

With a brand new tyre, Joe wouldn't let me repeat the performance on the way back. 

I might have stayed straight this time! lmao lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #258 on: 10-Dec-18, 07:46 »
Off to an historic club meeting tonight - so will see if I can read my digihud app more clearly in the night time.

I know one thing it chews through the battery quite quickly..

cheers

Seagrass

« Reply #259 on: 10-Dec-18, 07:50 »
Off to an historic club meeting tonight - so will see if I can read my digihud app more clearly in the night time.

I know one thing it chews through the battery quite quickly..

cheers

Forecast is for showers or rain tonight so you may want to reconsider your mode of transport depending on the weather.

Seagrass

doddsy1000

« Reply #260 on: 10-Dec-18, 09:30 »
Any auto accessories shop has a cigarette lighter adapter with wires for the battery.

I've used one of those on each big trip I've made until recently (when I used a cabin, thanks again Charlie).

That keeps the mobile phone charged.

Nothing fancy for me,  Just an adapter that I can slip out from behind the side cover (without removing it) when needed.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #261 on: 10-Dec-18, 10:52 »
I'll check the weather - if it looks like rain I may not ride... take the cage instead.

I have a small USB attachment - simple positive and negative - input 12V DC - outputs 5V 2A - and has a waterproof USB connection - I used one on the GL1500 but didn't remove it before I sold it. But I bought two and found the other one last night - just need to wire it in.  Might run it from the fuse panel - easier to get to. Similar output spot on the right hand dash panel where I put my Voltmeter.

cheers guys

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #262 on: 11-Jan-19, 10:36 »
Just installed a waterproof USB charger/adapter on my Turbo this morning. I need it to plug my phone into as I think I will be using a small GPS app when riding the bike most of the time - as still getting used to the incorrect speedometer readings.

Ran it under the dash and hooked power feed directly from the neutral/oil pressure light fuse - the same way I did for the digital voltmeter. A bit of velcro on top of the air cleaner cover to hold the voltage adapter in place (I think 5 volt 3 amp), then ran the USB cable under the dash cover out near the right hand front of the tank - nice and neat and simple.

Photos to come.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #263 on: 12-Jan-19, 14:48 »
Took the bike for a run this morning,

Wanting to see if I can give it a good workout on a larger variety of road conditions.. within reason - no dirt at this time - kept to the bitumen.

Met up with another 3 guys (2 from work) - so there was a Triumph America (loud and noisy), Suzuki Boulevarde M09(1500cc I think) another cruiser from Suzuki - might have been similar. and the Turbo.

The route planned was pretty simple - up Castlereagh road to Richmond then follow Bells Line of road to Bell turn left along The Causeway to Mt Victoria, stop at Blackheath for a coffee then down the Mountains on the Great Western Highway till home - route - about 160k's.

Road surface and terrain varied a lot - most of it really good bitumen - no really rough road or potholes.

Police - a breathalyzer before Bell - on the opposite side of the road - really well hidden.  A few in patrol cars cruising around. Road types went from single lane highway excellent condition, lots of sweeping curves, some tighter than others - being held up by slow drivers a few times, but managed to go past legally when the opportunity arose. To some tighter curves and double apex corners..

Opened the throttle several times  - first time in third gear along Casltlereagh road - making sure there were no cobwebs in the exhaust - I know there will not be now. 

Coming back down the mountains - laid into the throttle at a set of lights - took off in 1st gear - and quickly red lined at 10000 + RPM - no limp mode or default came up - so continued on - hit the bottom of Lapstone Hill - opened her up again in 5th gear - managed to sneak a look at the speedo - GPS had quit working - speedo showing 180km/h  - by my estimated seat of the pants - reckon I hit the TON, and the bike was pulling strongly - but backed off to turn off the freeway another km up the road.

Temperature getting too hot - bike went really well - forks not leaking - injectors and cylinders firing nicely - temperature gauge stayed within range - it slowly climbs into the thicker part of the meter - when labouring it uphill in 5th gear, drop to 4th and no issues.

Back home - in the air con - not going out again for a while..

Quick route map for you

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/McDonald's+Penrith+North,+2+Peachtree+Rd,+Penrith+NSW+2750/North+Richmond+NSW/Bell+NSW/Mount+Victoria+NSW/Blackheath+NSW/Penrith+NSW/@-33.6236365,150.348838,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b1285ee1b2e3cdf:0x3d56e8d391f03c83!2m2!1d150.6902878!2d-33.7456183!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0d7cfb633b40c7:0x5017d68163339e0!2m2!1d150.7150959!2d-33.5817778!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b127451f0d38ec3:0x40609b490435bb0!2m2!1d150.279!2d-33.514!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b1273103229822d:0x5017d681632d570!2m2!1d150.25!2d-33.583333!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b127211257dc37d:0x5017d681632d440!2m2!1d150.283611!2d-33.635556!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b128f624bf3427b:0x5017d681632c640!2m2!1d150.7!2d-33.75!3e0

Mins Man

« Reply #264 on: 12-Jan-19, 17:55 »
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself Charlie and you can remember these good times while you're riding the bus to work after losing your licence. :grandpa: Reminds me of when I went for my first ride on my 650T. I was on the freeway and was surprised at how fast the bike went from 50 to 100 kph, but then I remembered that the speedo was in mph!
A little bit different from when we had to dawdle along behind you doing 80 kph on your 500 Custom.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #265 on: 12-Jan-19, 18:24 »
Harry,

I never dawdle - but it could be your memory as well.... I am really enjoying the Turbo - yes I am becoming a throttle junkie - just a little bit..so hopefully I will keep my licence for a while yet, at least until May when the rally is on.  Might need to give you a ride on it too, just to let you remember what they are like.

I am normally well within the legal zone to ride safely - only throttle up on straight bits of road - but get to "do boost" when gearing down for some nice uphill corners I find the best seat of the pants feeling.

When the power comes on it is sometimes not subtle    2angel

Cheers

Mins Man

« Reply #266 on: 12-Jan-19, 19:06 »
Yeah you're getting a bit of dementia there Charlie......I own a 500T!

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #267 on: 12-Jan-19, 20:01 »
Do you ride it ???

Nah just testing your memory Harry  lol

2angel

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #268 on: 29-May-19, 17:21 »
Previously I mentioned in another thread that I drained the hose under the right hand muffler on the Turbo.

Because I didn't expect anything or unsure of what it was - dumb old me spilled the contents on my new T shirt.

After having not successfully completed the round trip to the VJMC -albeit a round trip to Grafton - minus a few kilometres on the back of Harrys' ute - thought I would check to see if there was any more residue last weekend after checking over the bike for fluids, oil etc

Also used some araldite to fix up the bonnet - this damage was prior to the bike drop so it didn't get any worse.

This time like a good boy scout I came prepared - with a small plastic tub (compliments of coles christmas pudding last year) and drained the result into the tub.

Pictures show what was in the tube - plus a few more pictures of the bike loaded up and at Gosford on the first night - then picture of the broken blinker - you can also see the dent in the fairing when I dropped the bike.

All back to normal - blinker replaced - still have a dent..

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #269 on: 29-May-19, 17:45 »
Here are the pictures.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #270 on: 26-Jul-19, 17:05 »
Just completed the oil change on the Turbo, and if I can i will load up some pictures of the results.

I had a piece of metal come out of the sump - it must have been floating around somewhere inside the engine.

This is the third oil change I have given the bike - so maybe a bit surprised to see this come out.

If anyone has some suggestions as to where it may have come from I would be glad to hear your thoughts.

Will try and load a few photos shortly.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #271 on: 26-Jul-19, 18:03 »
There's no real size perspective there mate.

Did it come out of the sump plug hole, or did you take the sump off?

If it's made of metal.  To me, it looks like a top cover for a chain tensioner spring.

A small endoscope camera would clear that up easily enough.

Seagrass

« Reply #272 on: 26-Jul-19, 18:26 »
Charlie I had the sump off when the bike was here as it had a constant oil weep from the sump due to there being no gasket (only a smear of silicone).

The sump was free from any particles and contamination when I put it back on (with a hand cut gasket).  From memory I showed you the repaired area in the sump while I had it off.

This all being said, that bit of metal must have therefore travelled down to the sump since the bike went back on the road.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #273 on: 26-Jul-19, 22:07 »
Doddsy,
The size perspecitve - that is an A5 writing pad - it's about 1/2 the size of a 5c piece - it is metal - and not aluminium. I will be checking inside the inspection hole tomorrow - with my little endoscope camera - will be fun as well.. to see if I can see the cam chain tensioner - there are very fine bits of - like grains of coarse sand - but black bits- I think probably from the chain tensioner guides which could be breaking up. Not serious quantities but there when I drained the oil into a container.

Seagrass, yes I remember you made a gasket for the sump - it hasn't leaked since - but I do remember you finding another 2 smaller pieces in the sump, so this could be part of the same thing gradually shifting down through the motor. anyway I might get some photos tomorrow from the endoscope - will see if I find anything amiss..

Cheers

Charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #274 on: 27-Jul-19, 10:40 »
Well I got to know how to use my endoscope camera and how to make a video after a few feeble attempts.

Result is I have a worn tensioner nearing its replacement time, but there is no cap on the end of it - it just appears to be a flat surface at the end of the spring, so I am going to presume this must have come from somewhere else.

Will be taking the bike to Canberra - confident it will be good enough to get me there and back without issue.

Cheers

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt