Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: CX500 '82 Shadow  (Read 905 times)

wozza

CX500 '82 Shadow
« Started on: 03-Aug-17, 17:11 »
Hi all,

So I picked up this wonderful bike over the weekend and rode it 3.5 hours home. It ran beautifully and I'm impressed with the engine.

It's a bit rough cosmetically and needs a bit of TLC (likely in some mechanical sections too).

My plan;

1) Get the forks looked at and seals replaced (in future I'd do this myself but it needs a pink slip and I don't have the time at the moment).
2) Give the bike a good service. Haynes manual on order.
3) Strip back to the frame and clean it up (it has some rust)

From that point I'm unsure if I should restore it or work out something custom. I tend to lean towards something custom as it was the reason I bought the bike, but it is a lovely old gal.

I've attached some photos and will update the thread as I go. If any of you see anything worth mentioning in the photos that needs work please let me know. This is my first project bike so I've got a lot of learning to do!

Cheers all,
Woz

Krisby

Re: CX500 '82 Shadow
« Reply #1 on: 03-Aug-17, 18:49 »
Hi WOZ,

Your bike looked really nice in that photo of the whole bike, but when I looked at the close-ups, hmmm!  Yes, rust folks, it never sleeps!  Too bad the CX's weren't made by Rolls Royce, but then for the best paint and chrome plating protection, you'd have to pay double the price for the bike in the first place.  But, on the bright side, you've got a good opportunity to put a decent coat of paint on the bike, followed by clear coat, then rub it back and polish it until you have a mirror-finish! I'm also restoring a CX500, but I won't be putting the stripes back on the tank, or the badges on the plastic side covers.  Replacing the big chrome "HONDA" badges on the sides of the tank with painted lettering might be an idea.  Regarding the mufflers, if the internals are good, you could remove the chrome plating and then paint them matte black!

Check out the photos of the '82 CX500 that I took delivery of last Sunday on my one and only post.  Search Krisby

Dragonstaff

« Reply #2 on: 03-Aug-17, 21:14 »
Looks pretty good for a 35 year old bike! A lot of the surface rust etc. should clean up with a bit of elbow grease and some polish.

wozza

« Reply #3 on: 04-Aug-17, 07:42 »
Looks pretty good for a 35 year old bike! A lot of the surface rust etc. should clean up with a bit of elbow grease and some polish.

Yeah it isn't in too bad shape, even with the rust. Same guy owned it for the last 35 years and rode it locally to work. Has 97k on it.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a bunch of wet and dry sandpaper and some degreasing agent to get started. Any other suggested polishes or cleaning agents?

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 04-Aug-17, 08:04 »
Try using steel wool to remove the rust from the mufflers. If you get the stainless steel ones any little fibres that come off will not cause further rust.

Seagrass

nodrog

« Reply #5 on: 05-Aug-17, 14:46 »
I used 00 grade steel wool with Brasso, worked great for me. Don't use anything courser as it will scratch the chrome, then apply wax on completion. Couldn't believe how well Brasso on a microfiber cloth, restored the dulled out plastics to showroom shine.

wozza

« Reply #6 on: 09-Aug-17, 10:06 »
Yeah I'll grab some 00 steel wool and brasso for the exhausts. As for the frame, would stripping the bike, sanding back the frame to rid rust, using an anti rust primer and then painting with a hammer finish work?

As for the tank, I plan to remove the badges and fix them up while stripping back the tank. I think the inside is good so just external fixes. Haven't decided on a colour scheme yet but will do so before this step.

wozza

« Reply #7 on: 18-Aug-17, 11:36 »
Ok so another update. Bike shop pulled apart the front fork and called me asking why the spring was in 8 pieces... haha. So replacement springs are running at around $200 + installation. My current thinking is to pay the shop what I owe currently, get the bike back to my place and find a replacement USD fork (long term goal anyway).

Seagrass

« Reply #8 on: 18-Aug-17, 13:46 »
That sounds like a good idea to me.

Seagrass

wozza

« Reply #9 on: 03-Sep-17, 09:38 »
Okay so an update. Sourced a  06 CBR600RR front end in decent enough nick with brakes, front wheel, handlebars and master cylinder (from a CBR900 I believe).

Bike is out of rego now due to the front forks being buggered so my current plan is as follows;

1) Get a pink slip before 3 months have elapsed (so I don't have to blue slip her)
2) Replace the front end with the CBR one
3) New tyres for front/rear (rear needs replacing anyway and would prefer to match)
4) Bleed/fit brakes
5) New fork seals/oil (not sure if the front is leaking but good practice anyway)
6) Replace the speedo with one I can mount on the new front
7) New headlight and brackets
8) New blinkers (current ones seem to have an issue with the relay- they don't blink and one is pretty temperamental)
9) Get pink slip/rego
10) Continue with the rest of the project

wozza

« Reply #10 on: 04-Mar-18, 08:05 »
Hi all,

Thought I'd post an update given how long its been and I'm after some advice.

Pulled off the headlight and undid the wiring, got the front wheel off as well as the forks.

My plan is to use an 06' CBR600RR front end and I bought all the bearings etc to do the conversion. However, the bottom race on the CBR600RR is proving difficult to remove. Any suggestions?

Moreover, the bearings (allballs) that I bought don't appear to go all the way down the stem on the 600RR fork. Do these require a bit of force to get them on? I've been reading one of the threads on the US Cx forum detailing the swap and it doesn't look like he had this issue.

In the meantime, I mocked up the forks on it to see how it'd look (without any bearings in it). I'll probably need to purchase a dremel or similar to remove the top steering lock.

I'm planning on hiding the wiring creatively in a new headlight I purchased but could be a bit tight. Based on the other thread detailing a CBR600RR fork swap, they mentioned that the ignition fitted cleanly in the CBR600RR upper tree yoke, but it doesn't seem like it will (the bolts are not the same size, key chamber is too large etc). Thoughts?

Would love advice on the fork swap if anyone has any suggestions. It just seemed like the all balls bearing wouldn't slide down any further and left about 10cm between it and the race (and this wouldn't allow it to sit flush in the triple tree.

Cheers,

Woz

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Excalibre

« Reply #11 on: 04-Mar-18, 11:33 »
I can't offer any advise on the fork conversion, however;

For the wiring, if you can't get it all in the headlight - one idea is to stick it inside a piece of old bicycle tube and cable-tie the ends.
It looks neat, hides the coloured plugs and is weather proof

wozza

« Reply #12 on: 05-Mar-18, 08:31 »
I can't offer any advise on the fork conversion, however;

For the wiring, if you can't get it all in the headlight - one idea is to stick it inside a piece of old bicycle tube and cable-tie the ends.
It looks neat, hides the coloured plugs and is weather proof

Ah that's clever! Thanks for the tip! I'll see how I go with the smaller headlight and bucket but that's definitely a neater solution than just leaving it all out.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #13 on: 05-Mar-18, 09:38 »
You will probably find you will need to press the old bearing off - and press the new one on... if you don't have a hydraulic press to do this - then take it to a mechanics who has a press.

When they go on - they are obviously a tight fit - when I did bottom bearing on a cb750 - the noise it made when it snapped into place was quite loud and I thought the bearing had broken - but all good.

good luck

Seagrass

« Reply #14 on: 05-Mar-18, 10:34 »
Bearings are commonly an “interference” fit which means that they are about two thousandths of an inch too small/big for the part they fit onto/into.

There are a few other tricks besides a press when assembling, such as freezing the smaller part and heating the larger part and then the two parts just slip together. When the temperature returns to normal they are a tight fit like they should be.

Of course this is not always easy if the parts a large but you can get things like “freeze spray” in a can these days which may help.

Another down side to some projects is that you cannot easily heat the bearing as it will melt the grease but in this case the bearing should be one that is not sealed so you may be able to put in the oven or use a heat gun to do the job.

Seagrass

wozza

« Reply #15 on: 16-Mar-18, 15:12 »
Righto, so got a dremel and got the CBR600RR race off and ground down the top fork stop. Question now is, what's the best approach to get the CX fork races out? They seem pretty wedged in. I've tried using a screwdriver and hammer to try and smack it out but not making much progress.

muzza

wozza

« Reply #17 on: 29-Apr-18, 10:45 »
Howdy fellas,

Been busy so haven't had much time to work on the bike. I did end up getting the front bearings on- although having a few issues still.

As you can see, the bike is starting to take shape. I bought the seat off ebay which is listed as fitting a 1978 cx500. Unfortunately it looks like the shock bolts from the frame are a tad too long for the seat to sit comfortably. Is it possible to change these or do I need to cut them down? I assume it would be relatively safe to cut them down a bit so long as I can get a lock nut on it still.

Secondly, The front end swap is on but when rotating the handlebars it grates against the lower triple tree. Not sure what I've buggered up here but it does interfere with steering.

Next on the list is to clean up the carbs and rebuild them using a kit, installing the headlight and speedo, and relocating fuse. I also need to pull the tank off and remove the tach cable. Longer term I got a full engine gasket kit to redo the engine too.

Edit: the other issue I have is the brake calipers that came with the 600RR front end are proving very difficult to install. The bolts on them are stuck or at least I haven't been able to break the seal on them so I can pull the pads out, install new ones and put them on the bike. Any advice?

J.C.

« Reply #18 on: 29-Apr-18, 14:21 »
So the frame neck grates on the lower triple? Sounds like the bearings aren't the correct height or there's a spacer missing under the bearing... Which bearings did you use?

Which bolts are stuck on the calipers?

wozza

« Reply #19 on: 08-May-18, 09:39 »
So the frame neck grates on the lower triple? Sounds like the bearings aren't the correct height or there's a spacer missing under the bearing... Which bearings did you use?

Which bolts are stuck on the calipers?

Thanks for your reply JC. I used the allballs bearings listed for the CBR600RR swap and used what was included in the kit. I think you're right, I might not have the bottom bearing seated sufficiently down so will pull it back apart and see what I can do (looks like the rear of the stem is not as flush as the front).

Managed to loosen the bolts that were stuck. It was the bolts holding the brake pads on.

Edit: I need to switch out the clutch lever as the previous owner must have had a spill onto it. Given I'm using a CBR600RR brake lever setup, can I use a generic 7/8 clutch and brake lever to replace the two so they match?

Bike now currently looks like this.

wozza

« Reply #20 on: 28-May-18, 13:50 »
Hey brain's trust,

Currently continuing work on the bike and have order a set of Murray's carbs which will be on their way soon.

Couple of things.

I've hooked up a new headlight which works etc but the electronics are giving me a bit of a headache. I can't get the bike to turnover now and I'm sure its got to do with one of the connectors either on the handlebar (right switches) or one of the cables in the old headlight assembly that I can't seem to find a connection to. I know that all sounds incredibly vague but I'm unfortunately away from the bike for a bit so don't have a picture to better illustrate.

Does anyone have a simple diagram of what connections are stored in the stock headlight assembly?

Thanks,

Woz

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle