Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Reserve coolant tank cleaning  (Read 222 times)

johnmck

Reserve coolant tank cleaning
« Started on: 22-Apr-18, 12:14 »
What's the best way to clean the reserve coolant tank inside and out?
Is it ok to use a radiator flush for the inside?

CX PHREAK

Re: Reserve coolant tank cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 22-Apr-18, 12:19 »
I found a couple of handfulls of dry rice and a half fill with simple green solution and a lot of shaking works very well.

Don't be tempted to use bleach. In the short term it seems to do a good job. In the long term it causes damage similar to years of UV.

Seagrass

« Reply #2 on: 22-Apr-18, 13:25 »
I use a handful of small gravel, usually gravel with sharp edges if I can find it, and then add some water and shake vigorously.

Seagrass

johnmck

« Reply #3 on: 22-Apr-18, 15:25 »
I use a handful of small gravel, usually gravel with sharp edges if I can find it, and then add some water and shake vigorously.

Seagrass
I found a couple of handfulls of dry rice and a half fill with simple green solution and a lot of shaking works very well.

Don't be tempted to use bleach. In the short term it seems to do a good job. In the long term it causes damage similar to years of UV.

Thanks guys.

Kathy

« Reply #4 on: 22-Apr-18, 18:45 »
What's the best way to clean the reserve coolant tank inside and out?
Is it ok to use a radiator flush for the inside?
I’ve cleaned some in-situ using radiator flush and a heavy-duty bottle brush - rinse and repeat!

They came up quite clean although I probably could have done a better job with them removed but removing them is a job and a half in itself!

VladTepes

« Reply #5 on: 15-May-18, 10:50 »
Are you just wanting to remove gunk, or are you trying to refurbish it a bit as its browned over the years?

I saw a post once (just wish I could find it now) where somebody used some kind of chemical solution and the tank came out looking MUCH closer to new...

@Steve F  perhaps it was you?

johnmck

« Reply #6 on: 15-May-18, 13:17 »
Are you just wanting to remove gunk, or are you trying to refurbish it a bit as its browned over the years?

I saw a post once (just wish I could find it now) where somebody used some kind of chemical solution and the tank came out looking MUCH closer to new...

@Steve F  perhaps it was you?

Both actually.
The gravel worked well for the inside.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle