Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: tyres for a 650e  (Read 329 times)

fab

tyres for a 650e
« Started on: 26-Apr-18, 17:15 »
I need to replace both tyres on my bike, what is a good handling tyre in wet and dry to go for?

muzza

Re: tyres for a 650e
« Reply #1 on: 26-Apr-18, 17:53 »
I use Shinko 712 tyres on mine  , waiting on a new rear tyre arriving at present

Mins Man

« Reply #2 on: 26-Apr-18, 18:00 »
Metzler Lasertecs for me.   fietsertour

Seagrass

« Reply #3 on: 26-Apr-18, 18:31 »
Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45 are also good and reasonably priced.

You need to keep an eye on the tire pressure as they will scallop if the pressure is too low. They do not last as long as others BUT they handle very well in nearly all conditions.

I now have them on my Turbo (after a conversation with the local Honda dealer) and I am quite happy with them.

Seagrass

Barocca

« Reply #4 on: 26-Apr-18, 18:57 »
I fitted the Shinkos same as muzza, fitted and balanced them myself.  I was seduced by the reasonable price and endorsements of other members.  I'm quite happy with them, but must admit that I don't do much wet weather riding. 

muzza

« Reply #5 on: 26-Apr-18, 19:08 »
Yep - fit them myself - tyre levers , rubber hammer and a piece of plywood to keep the wheel off the concrete. And some liquid soap to ease the tyre over the rim.

And a really big drill press to use as a bead breaker ;-)

Mins Man

« Reply #6 on: 27-Apr-18, 17:12 »
Yep - fit them myself - tyre levers , rubber hammer and a piece of plywood to keep the wheel off the concrete. And some liquid soap to ease the tyre over the rim.

And a really big drill press to use as a bead breaker ;-)

No balancing?

Mins Man

« Reply #7 on: 27-Apr-18, 17:16 »
Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45 are also good and reasonably priced.

You need to keep an eye on the tire pressure as they will scallop if the pressure is too low. They do not last as long as others BUT they handle very well in nearly all conditions.

I now have them on my Turbo (after a conversation with the local Honda dealer) and I am quite happy with them.

Seagrass

I fitted a set to my 650T because they were so cheap, but when I went back to buy some for my Goldwing they weren't on special anymore and were actually dearer than Lasertecs. All things being even I reckon the Metzlers are a better tyre.

fab

« Reply #8 on: 27-Apr-18, 18:43 »
thanks fellas, gives me something to start looking at.

ericclapham

« Reply #9 on: 27-Apr-18, 18:54 »
Mr.Seagrass, Sir, I am currently running BT45s on a CX 650E @ 32psi Front and 38 Rear. What would you recommend ?

Seagrass

« Reply #10 on: 27-Apr-18, 20:34 »
Mr.Seagrass, Sir, I am currently running BT45s on a CX 650E @ 32psi Front and 38 Rear. What would you recommend ?

I normally run about 1 or 2 PSI over what Honda originally recommended (sorry cannot remember what that is at the moment).

Make sure you check the pressures regularly as they do lose a bit of pressure and when they are low they can wear unevenly.

Seagrass

fab

« Reply #11 on: 17-May-18, 08:38 »
I just put on a new set of Metzler Lasertecs on my bike but the front tyre looks like the tread is going in the wrong direction ( yes the arrow for direction is going the right way) can someone that is running this tyre check there front tyre and let me know if it looks the same as mine.

fab

« Reply #12 on: 17-May-18, 08:39 »
the arrow and direction is going forward but tread looks like its going backwards?

Mins Man

« Reply #13 on: 17-May-18, 11:49 »
I've just had a look at my Goldwing and yes, the tread pattern appears to be going backwards.
I wouldn't worry about it as I've found the Lasertecs to be an excellent all round tyre.

fab

« Reply #14 on: 17-May-18, 14:17 »
thanks for that mins man.

joethebike

« Reply #15 on: 18-May-18, 08:24 »
You can't go wrong with a Metzler but those Bridgestone BT45 sure do hang on in the wet.

muzza

« Reply #16 on: 18-May-18, 14:41 »
No balancing?

Mount the tyre with the yellow dot next to the valve stem , inflate , rotate on a piece of bar locked in the bench vice , check if it needs any added weights  last one I installed  didnt so I was happy ;-)

Have a Metzler on my 500 cafe bike front wheel - about to remove it as its worn in a triangle shape and is pretty awful. Putting a Shinko,Sportsmaster 110 in 100/90 - 19 on in its place

rooray

« Reply #17 on: 19-May-18, 18:36 »
I use Pirelli Sport Demon. Good wet weather grip and good price.

Dero

« Reply #18 on: 19-May-18, 19:34 »
I have run Sport Demons on my other bike for a couple years, I'll be getting a pair for the CX when these ones are due for replacement. They might be a little pricier but they are great in the wet, and mine still have good tread after ~20,000km in the last couple of years.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt