Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: can I change my standard head light to LED  (Read 305 times)

rjdownunder000

can I change my standard head light to LED
« Started on: 08-May-18, 19:15 »
Hi guys,

I'm considering to buy a new headlight with these features:
- High performance high/low beam
- High transmission,correct curved lens for better luminous efficiency
- Provide good field of view while driving in poor visibility
- 1 LED for low beam,2 LED for high beam,5W for each LED
- 3W for the Halo ring

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-5-12V-Black-Metal-Motorcycle-Front-LED-Headlight-Mesh-Mount-Cover-Bracket-AU/112887040107?epid=20017053874&hash=item1a4897886b:g:SpkAAOSw2CJatHlW
Love the look of this type of headlight to suit my scrambler conversion.

Is this possible and if so, do I need to keep other things in mind?

Another quick question: is there a reason why the 7V regulator is mounted so close to the headlight as I'd like to move it out of sight.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Seagrass

Re: can I change my standard head light to LED
« Reply #1 on: 08-May-18, 22:10 »
The seven volt regulator can go anywhere BUT if you are going to move it make sure you use quality heavy gauge wire or you will get too much voltage drop. If the voltage is too low at the temp gauge it will not be accurate as it relies on seven volts to give an accurate reading.

The headlight looks good but just make sure that it illuminates correctly as some of the LED lights throw a wide floodlight pattern which is not suitable for vehicles

Seagrass

rjdownunder000

« Reply #2 on: 08-May-18, 23:07 »
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the temp gauge work with a constant 7V supply to the dashboard unit which is then being converted to a mechanical display? I've never opened the RPM tacho side

rjdownunder000

« Reply #3 on: 08-May-18, 23:51 »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the electrical drawings again my understanding is:

There is a 7V supply to the temp gauge and when the temp gauge sensor heats up, the resistance reduces and therefor the current increases which makes the temp gauge (pointer) to indicate a rise of temp in the display...

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 09-May-18, 07:47 »
Sorry I have never studied how the temp gauge works.

The important thing is that it needs a constant seven volts from the voltage regulator to provide an accurate reading.

If you accidentally hook up 12 volts you will fry the temp gauge!

Seagrass

rjdownunder000

« Reply #5 on: 09-May-18, 09:52 »
Ok. Thank you that confirms the main point I wanted to know

VladTepes

« Reply #6 on: 15-May-18, 10:48 »
Be aware that (and I know that very few people, including me, care) the headlight will not be ADR approved for Australian roads. In case that matters to you.  ;)

Also there are three types of headlights.
Some are 'straight ahead', but most throw a bit more to one side - away from the oncoming traffic.
In Australia they throw to the left a bit, but one from China etc may well throw to the right.
Just something to be aware of.

rjdownunder000

« Reply #7 on: 15-May-18, 22:10 »
Thank you for the good pointers I didn't think of  happy0158

tjf68

« Reply #8 on: 28-May-18, 16:55 »
Of course the local constabulary and transport inspectors might care... 2wink

madmechanic

« Reply #9 on: 19-Jun-18, 19:55 »
if the headlight park leds are blue like the picture you'll get pulled up and charged real fast as its totally illegal to show blue light from a vehicle unless your a police officer . i tried a few different cheap led headlights ie under 50 bucks and they most  had unacceptable beams and were made of cheap nasty plastic, some broke when i tightened the bolts up even . in the end we fitted 2 x 5 led driving lights as headlights 1 long range for high beam and 1 with a wide spread for low beam , they looked a bit poxy but worked great and had a terrific beam and only cost a mere 15 bucks .but i had to buy about 20 different types of led head and driving lights to find some decent ones and in some cases identical items from the same sellers were of differing quality .

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle