Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Carby Floats  (Read 180 times)

whitey56

Carby Floats
« Started on: 15-May-18, 18:19 »
Hi all.
Would anyone know if any CX's came out with an adjustable float [plastic with metal needle tang] or any model honda with the same carbs using them, my float levels are all over the place with at least 2mm height difference between the 2 carbs.
Looks like the previous owner rekitted the carby as all i can find wrong with them is the float levels, I wouldn't mind sorting this before i put them back on.
Thanks

Seagrass

Re: Carby Floats
« Reply #1 on: 15-May-18, 19:21 »
The early carbs had adjustable floats, the later carbs with plastic floats were not adjustable to my knowledge.

If your levels are wrong could you have different length needles in each carb?

CX Phreak is probably the member you need to talk with as he rebuilds more than his fair share of carbs and knows them fairly well.

Seagrass

whitey56

« Reply #2 on: 15-May-18, 20:59 »
Thanks Seagrass will check needles length in the morning and swap the float to the other side and see how that measures up then.
If that fails i'll look for some '79 carbs.

whitey56

« Reply #3 on: 16-May-18, 20:27 »
Had a win today the float needles are -1mm different in length, I grab a couple of new ones and hopefully i’ll get 2 the same size.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #4 on: 16-May-18, 20:38 »
If you buy genuine keihin needles the level may even be right.

Hope no one has 'tweaked' the floats.

It's generally best to keep the original needles unless they're hard or damaged. They're generally still fit to use and will be for many years. Too late for you. PO?

Aftermarket needles vary in length and cause all sorts of mirth and merriment with non adjustable floats.

whitey56

« Reply #5 on: 25-May-18, 11:06 »
Thanks for the replies I have the float levels looking good now just below the join, had to grind .3mm off a new needle and used one old one.

One more question please, with the choke fully on my throttle butterflies hardly move, the linkage gets moved about 1.0 mm which is barely visable at the butterfly.
Is this the case with the Keihin's or should there be a fast idle with the butterflies cracked a small amount, there is a slot in the choke linkage which could be opened up with a blade screwdriver to improve the movement if needed.

Sorry to be a pain but these are the first twin carbs i have been inside.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #6 on: 25-May-18, 12:07 »
The choke throttle nudger is likely OK if you can see the butterflies move at all. To change from an 1100 to a 2000 RPM idle the movement is only just noticable. It can be adjusted on bike anyway ..... but likely doesn't need it.

As long as it does move and both butterflies close at the same time the choke mechanism should be good to go.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle