Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: 650e coolant in combustion chaber  (Read 127 times)

fab

650e coolant in combustion chaber
« Started on: 01-Jan-19, 08:36 »
I went for a ride this morning and the bike started to run ruff and blow steam out of the exhaust.
I rod straight home only 2km away, when I stopped the bike I could smell coolant so I checked the overflow tank level was right and no oil or muck in it, check oil same very clean with no residue as it was only new oil.

pulled the right plug out and it was covered in coolant pulled left plug clean, so it looks like I have a blown right head gasket. any tips or advise on fixing this would be appreciated.
what gasket set should I use as I see lots of different makes?

Seagrass

Re: 650e coolant in combustion chaber
« Reply #1 on: 01-Jan-19, 09:53 »
It is not uncommon for the CX650’s to blow a head gasket.

Try sending a PM to Joe Hovel as he did have head gaskets available at one stage and may still have some.

After replacing the head gasket make sure you run the engine for a couple of hundred kilometres without any coolant (just water) and then retension the head gasket BEFORE adding coolant. This procedure will help to emsure you will get a good seal.

Coolant is very “slippery” and will find any weakness in the head gasket seal to weep out of, if you give it a chance to.

Seagrass

fab

« Reply #2 on: 01-Jan-19, 10:46 »
thanks for the info seagrass, I have just pulled the head off and noticed that there is a crack in the block barrel sleeve( but its not in the slip in sleeve).  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   in the picture its between 5-6 o'clock. 

Seagrass

« Reply #3 on: 01-Jan-19, 14:50 »
I doubt that crack would be a problem.

Seagrass

J.C.

« Reply #4 on: 03-Jan-19, 09:43 »
Check the coolant level in the rad as well as the overflow tank - you can be dry in the rad and still have coolant in the tank.

fab

« Reply #5 on: 03-Jan-19, 18:10 »
Check the coolant level in the rad as well as the overflow tank - you can be dry in the rad and still have coolant in the tank.
yes I pulled the radiator off when I took the head off it was full and no junk in it.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt