Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Did Honda use lead-based paint?  (Read 239 times)

Krisby

Did Honda use lead-based paint?
« Started on: 10-Jan-19, 16:41 »
Did Honda use lead-containing paint on their CX500 motorcycles?  Currently I'm sanding off a lot of the black paint off the frame of my late model CX500 Shadow, and I am wondering about all this black dust on my hands and falling down to the dirt floor  NailBiter.  I've never given it a thought before, assuming that only old house-paint had lead in it.  And what kind of paint was it anyway, enamel or acrylic lacquer?

Seagrass

Re: Did Honda use lead-based paint?
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jan-19, 17:43 »
I do not know for certain but as it was the late 1970’s and early 1980’s I very much doubt it would have been lead based paint and I would guess it was enamel not acrylic.

Seagrass

VC3

« Reply #2 on: 11-Jan-19, 06:02 »
Did Honda use lead-containing paint on their CX500 motorcycles?  Currently I'm sanding off a lot of the black paint off the frame of my late model CX500 Shadow, and I am wondering about all this black dust on my hands and falling down to the dirt floor  NailBiter.  I've never given it a thought before, assuming that only old house-paint had lead in it.  And what kind of paint was it anyway, enamel or acrylic lacquer?

Test kits for lead paint are pretty cheap, why not get one, test the paint in question and put your mind at ease? happy0062

Krisby

« Reply #3 on: 11-Jan-19, 10:54 »
OK, VC3, I shall endeavour to source a lead testing kit........ if my lead-poisoned brain is still capable..........

bahn88

« Reply #4 on: 11-Jan-19, 16:44 »
Lead colouring agents have been used for many years in auto enamels and lacquers. The highest levels of lead are found in the orange, red and yellow tones, where concentrations of more than 20% are common.

see the link for testing options.
http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/chemicals-management/lead/lead-in-auto-paints

Krisby

« Reply #5 on: 12-Jan-19, 16:40 »
On that basis, then, perhaps the black paint on frames would have minimal lead, if they were using a lead pigments.  I wonder what they used for black pigment... carbon?  Or maybe some kind of metal oxide.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt