Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Houston we have a problem  (Read 456 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: Houston we have a problem
« Reply #25 on: 21-Jan-19, 00:15 »
Buff,

Not sure really what to make of the noise - but the bike seems to be idling fine when I started it and no strange noises - so I will give it a run around the block tomorrow - I don't start till 9  and work locally - so if it plays up or sounds strange doing a lap I will take the Turbo and scratch my head some more..

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #26 on: 21-Jan-19, 08:48 »
I piked out on riding the Valkyrie.

Been raining a fair bit - and I'm not confident riding to work and back without taking the bike around the block a few times as I don't want to get stranded with this lump a few km's from home.

Took the Turbo.

Mins Man

« Reply #27 on: 21-Jan-19, 08:51 »
Now Charlie, you know that's in breach of the permit conditions.....using the bike for commercial purposes.  :grandpa:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #28 on: 21-Jan-19, 11:28 »
I think I am OK - I wrote it down in the logbook...

Mins Man

« Reply #29 on: 21-Jan-19, 13:12 »
That's OK Charlie, I forgot that you're only doing work experience.
A few years ago I had an issue with a cop while riding my bike home from work. He said that in his opinion I was using it for commercial gain which is against the conditions of the permit, but I told him that I was always a scruffy dresser and that he couldn't prove that I was coming home from work.
He'd already booked me for speeding, so he seemed happy to leave it at that.  :well:

Onetrack

« Reply #30 on: 21-Jan-19, 17:06 »
So, is riding any bike or driving a private car to and from work a commercial purpose? if so it is a bit hard to ride to work in you private use car, every vehicle will need to be registered as "commercial". I don't think so.
"Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #31 on: 21-Jan-19, 19:53 »
Got home this evening - a bit after 6, took the Vakyrie for two laps around the block,

Bike started quickly first time  - no strange noises nothing else exciting to report.

Went two laps around the block - performing as usual - so it has me completely stumped.

The only thing I can think has been occurring is the battery has slowly run flat with me only doing a run to work and back over the last few months and no extended runs to give the battery a good charge up. The first time I charged it for several hours it came back to 12.58V standing - I charged it again for several hours after it had been load tested and it came back to settle at around 12.7V. So it could have slowly been discharging..

Anyway a new battery arrived today and I will install it over the coming weekend.

But the starter motor will be pulled out soon enough to check the brushes as well..

Thanks for all the assistance so far.. Hope I don't have to report back on this particular issue for a little while    2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #32 on: 21-Jan-19, 22:57 »
If I've read this right, you're doing all of this with a suspect battery.

I know it's been tested, but I'm afraid that I have little faith in batteries & consider them disposable.

My vote is with the regular short runs (& you are stuck with the headlight on all the time) slowly eroding the battery.

I reckon your ebay battery will solve it all for another year.  :grandpa: :grandpa:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #33 on: 21-Jan-19, 23:32 »
Thanks Ian,

New battery arrived today - will be installing this weekend..

Will see how it goes..

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle