Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: CX500 Oil pressure ?  (Read 238 times)

madmechanic

CX500 Oil pressure ?
« Started on: 26-Jan-19, 11:34 »
Hi all  ive been working on a guys CX500 i love them but some are just haunted or cursed agghhhhhh and wondering does anyone know what sort of oil pressure they are supposed to run ? they are a real pain to test and i cant find anything much on line . thanks

J.C.

Re: CX500 Oil pressure ?
« Reply #1 on: 26-Jan-19, 11:53 »
Wolfgang on the US forum has a chart of oil pressure vs. RPM but I can't find it now... I thought I had saved it.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #2 on: 26-Jan-19, 12:15 »
 I actually don't know but I would expect to see 40 - 50 PSI cold and around 35 hot.

They're a plain bearing motor after all.

Onetrack

« Reply #4 on: 29-Jan-19, 19:17 »
You can mount an oil pressure gauge onto the oil filter, drill and tap the mounting bolt - I do not recommend to have the gauge in this location when on the road, either fit a bolt to plug the tapping or use another mounting bolt.  At idle this engine shows 20 psi  and about 80 psi at 4,000rpm.  Of course this is a Mighty CX650 engine.
"Young" Les F

madmechanic

« Reply #5 on: 30-Jan-19, 07:57 »
Thanks every one . i ended up removing the genuine oil sensor switch below the fan and fitted a temporary mechanical gauge to the bike in question , this one had around 25 psi cold and 21 psi pressure warm with a very quite supposedly rebuilt engine from a dubious source  . i changed the oil and it didn't change  the oil pressure any . years ago i tested a 650 a mate had when he worried the oil light used to flicker when it was really hot or the oil dirty as the owner said to run 5 w 25 synthetic ( in it from memory )  but that only had around 7 to 8 psi warm and 10 to 12 psi cold but the engine did rattle a bit but 5 years later with Valvoline 25w60 in it he is still riding it complete with low oil pressure and before any one says its too thick even with 20 w 40 it sounded quite rattly  like it was ready to blow and he does keep it in a heated garage so i guess if it works for him thats his business some people like riding bikes on borrowed time he sees it as a challenge  . seems the genuine oil switch turn off at 5 to 7 psi and though you can probably put a stronger spring in the oil pump blow off valve i guess this is why most people say dont run a mechanical gauge or you'll just worry your self to death ignorance is bliss haha . the other reason not to run a old school gauge is oil lines tend to leak come loose or worse break spraying hot oil every where that can cause fires and accidents or a dead engine if your enjoying your self too much .keep well every one

Dr Don

« Reply #6 on: 30-Jan-19, 08:48 »
And CX500 Turbos have a t least 20% higher oil pressure because the oil pump is driven at a higher speed due to the sprocket being smaller in diameter on the oil pump shaft, and the oil pump chain is shorter than the standard chain length on the naturally aspirated CX500.  There is slightly higher oil distribution consumption - of course - because of the supply to the turbo, but that is limited by the orifice in the oil supply line from the camshaft to the turbo itself.

Tapometer

« Reply #7 on: 30-Jan-19, 10:40 »
There is not that much difference between the turbo and N/A in regards the oil pump gearing ratios. The non-turbo's have a 0.65 drive ration (19/29) while the turbo's have a 0.66 reduction ratio (16/24). The main driver for the difference seems to be the need for the turbo's to run smaller crank and pump sprockets in order for the pump chain to still clear the larger clutch basket.

madmechanic

« Reply #8 on: 31-Jan-19, 07:31 »
it would also depend on the strength of the blow off valve if you want more oil pressure you can fit a stiffer spring or do what they did int he old days add washers to the spring stack to make the spring heavier thus more oil pressure but beware of oil leaks .

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle