Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: South Aust / Vic reg and RWC help needed.  (Read 292 times)

Joolstacho

South Aust / Vic reg and RWC help needed.
« Started on: 15-Feb-19, 14:51 »
I'm considering buying a car that's South Australian Registered. I'm Victorian.
The car (It's ok, it IS a Honda!) is currently registered in S.A., I'll probably put it on Club reg in the end, but either way I'll need to get it Roadworthy'd won't I.
But it seems like the S.A. RWC system is different to Vic, I was going to get the seller to get the RWC but it seems to be a different setup, inspection not by an authorised mechanic like in Vic, but by the 'Roads' department (whatever they're called)?

Perhaps you don't need a RWC to transfer a vehicle ownership in S.A. ?

Even if I get a S.A. RWC I'd probably have to get a Vic RWC anyway to transfer it to Vic reg ?
The plan would be to get a temporary Victoria reg to drive it back, but I don't know if it would be valid in S.A. ?

Hmmm, so many questions... Anyone clarify? Any easy solution (What a dopey question!  2funny)

CX PHREAK

Re: South Aust / Vic reg and RWC help needed.
« Reply #1 on: 15-Feb-19, 15:11 »
No expert on this but we don't do annual roadworthies here so no vehicle will come from SA with a certificate.

As far as I'm aware any vehicle not in the SA rego system will need to be numbers checked. This includes vehicles brought in from interstate and those unregistered long enough to not still be in the system. I believe a cursory roadworthy will be done at this time. This has to be done before an SA number plate can be issued.

Don't know how any of this applies at your end though.

Joolstacho

« Reply #2 on: 15-Feb-19, 15:24 »
We don't do annuals either, (unlike NSW) but we DO have to get a RWC whenever a vehicle changes ownership.
Do you? Might it be possible for me to renew the S.A. reg, no RWC required?
Or what?
Thanks, hoping for more info.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #3 on: 15-Feb-19, 15:37 »
No roadworthy at change of ownership so registering in SA and then transferring may be an option.

As long as the vehicle has a plate you should be good to go.

jhovel

« Reply #4 on: 15-Feb-19, 18:12 »
I just trasferred a QLD registered vehicle to Vic rego.
The Queesnsland seller got a RWC (Safety inspection) done there. I was able to transfer ownership into my name and keep the remaining QLD rego (for the past 6 months). To my surprise, I did NOT have to get a Vic RWC, as they accepted the QLD safety inspection. So the issue may just be a cost issue. Vic EQC are between $160 and $210. If it is cheaper in SA, get it done there. However, the safest way is to go to your local Vicroads brach nad ask a PERSON. Here, the person said that he was surprised I was able to transfer the QLD rego into my name, but checked and confirmed that it was now possible either way.
You WILL have to pay stanp duty either here or in SA in any case. So check which is the cheaper State for that too!

Joolstacho

« Reply #5 on: 15-Feb-19, 18:33 »
Interesting Joe. Seems to me that I'd be best off to just transfer the S.A. reg to my name, keeping the S.A. plates, drive it back on that registration, then later if I want to put it on Club plates, do the normal RWC routine here in Vic.
As long as there's no restrictions re: driving an interstate reg car here in Vic for a period of time.

The other issue is that I'm going to have to gamble on the car being ok, it's a day's drive away so can't inspect it, just got the photos and owner's replies to judge it by. Car is in Aldinga Beach S.A.

Am I mad?!
Yes probably... but it's not too expensive, only a couple of Ks, so not too much to lose.

bahn88

« Reply #6 on: 15-Feb-19, 20:49 »
From the vicroads website;
If the interstate vehicle registration is current or not expired by more than 3 months and is going into the same name in Victoria, a RWC will not be required to register your vehicle in Victoria.

A RWC is required if you have purchased a vehicle interstate or if the registration is cancelled or expired by more than 3 months. 

So the official line is if you are moving to Victoria with your vehicle, no RWC needed if the registration recent-if you buy a vehicle with interstate then you need a RWC..................

Joolstacho

« Reply #7 on: 15-Feb-19, 21:10 »
the plot thickens.... so I will need a vic RWC When I transfer it into my name FOR VIC REG.  But in the meantime Is there any problem driving it on its current SA reg in Victoria?
I d anticipate using it until the SA reg runs out in May whilst prepping it for the VIC RWC and club reg.

bahn88

« Reply #9 on: 16-Feb-19, 08:27 »
the plot thickens.... so I will need a vic RWC When I transfer it into my name FOR VIC REG.  But in the meantime Is there any problem driving it on its current SA reg in Victoria?
I d anticipate using it until the SA reg runs out in May whilst prepping it for the VIC RWC and club reg.

If the SA rego is in your name then no RWC is needed to transfer to Vic rego in your name.
My understanding is you can use a interstate reg veichle for 3 months prior to transfer-which is within your May period-though if you already live in Victoria the 3 month grace is a bit of a 'grey area' as you already reside here and you are not moving

BUFF7454

« Reply #10 on: 16-Feb-19, 08:46 »
You can just get a permit to travel it and drive it to Vic on that and then register it when you have done it up a bit.

Seagrass

« Reply #11 on: 16-Feb-19, 14:44 »
You can just get a permit to travel it and drive it to Vic on that and then register it when you have done it up a bit.

NSW also has a permit scheme which allows you to drive an unregistered vehicle from anywhere in NSW to anywhere in Australia within a certain amount of days (I think you nominate the duration)

My neighbour recently moved from NSW to Rockhampton and used one of these permits to drive an unregistered light truck, full of his belongings, and the permit only cost him around $55 from memory. The permit covers all CTP insurance and vehicle registration costs.

Seagrass

Joolstacho

« Reply #12 on: 16-Feb-19, 16:26 »
Well, NSW might be of interest to others. But...

I don't see why I can't just buy the car, put in SA ownership transfer papers, drive it back here on it's existing SA reg, then at my leisure, get a Vic RWC then transfer it to Vic Club reg.
Croweaters... forgetting the interstate issues, what do you do to simply transfer ownership of a vehicle in SA? Simple as putting in paperwork and paying stamp duty? or what?

(Is anyone telling me that a South Australian couldn't have a 2 month touring vacation in Vic in his SA registered car without changing their SA reg to Vic reg?!!
Surely that couldn't be right).

CX PHREAK

« Reply #13 on: 16-Feb-19, 16:42 »
To transfer rego in SA the vehicle first needs to be registered, otherwise the change of rego form on the back of the rego paper is void.

The good news is that creating a new rego is easy as long as the vehicle has a plate.

I THINK that your plan outlined above should both work .... and be legal at our end at least.

Seagrass

« Reply #14 on: 16-Feb-19, 20:32 »
The only problem may be, as it is in all other states I believe, you have to be living in SA to have a vehicle registered in your name in that state.

I doubt you will be able to transfer the rego to your name if you give a Victorian address.

Seagrass

bahn88

« Reply #15 on: 16-Feb-19, 22:56 »
Yes a SA can have a vacation in Vic.
The difficulty might be transferring the SA rego if you don't reside there or have a SA licence as others have mentioned.

Possibly you could drive it with SA reg without transferring it to your name for a short period-as long as you have a bill of sale to prove it wasn't stolen in the event of a random police pull-over.

To use the "unregistered vehicle permit scheme" the vehicle needs to be unregistered (plates removed)-and you need to get the permit from the SA authority before the trip to Vic

vic roads quote.
 "If you need to drive a vehicle from another state (except Western Australia) to Victoria you need to obtain a UVP from the relevant state in which your journey begins.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/limited-use-permits/unregistered-vehicle-permits

Joolstacho

« Reply #16 on: 17-Feb-19, 16:55 »
Oooh bluddy'ell it all looks too hard doesn't it!!!
Maybe I'll bide my time until I find one in Vic that fills the bill.
(Sometimes this Federation thing seems to be a complete farce doesn't it?)

CX PHREAK

« Reply #17 on: 17-Feb-19, 17:40 »
Anecdotally only, vehicles are registered to people without licences. Maybe they are suspended or once held a learners giving them a licence number. I don't know.

Joolstacho

« Reply #18 on: 17-Feb-19, 17:49 »
Yes a SA can have a vacation in Vic.
The difficulty might be transferring the SA rego if you don't reside there or have a SA licence as others have mentioned.

Possibly you could drive it with SA reg without transferring it to your name for a short period-as long as you have a bill of sale to prove it wasn't stolen in the event of a random police pull-over.

To use the "unregistered vehicle permit scheme" the vehicle needs to be unregistered (plates removed)-and you need to get the permit from the SA authority before the trip to Vic

vic roads quote.

Step 1: Check the vehicle registration and safety Hide
Before you get a UVP, the vehicle must be in a safe condition and you'll need to declare that the vehicle is safe for use on the road or highway when purchasing the UVP.

To get a UVP the vehicle must not be

currently registered
suspended due to an unrepaired safety related issue
recorded as a statutory write-off
recorded as stolen
subject to a Sheriff's Office sanction
Find out how to check the vehicle records by visiting Check vehicle registration.

If the vehicle is not safe or meets any of the above criteria, you cannot get a UVP.

"If you need to drive a vehicle from another state (except Western Australia) to Victoria you need to obtain a UVP from the relevant state in which your journey begins.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/limited-use-permits/unregistered-vehicle-permits
Hahaha It gets even funnier! ... Note point  above: I can't get an 'Unregistered vehicle Permit because IT IS CURRENTLY REGISTERED!

denuto

« Reply #19 on: 18-Feb-19, 17:39 »
I don't think you can transfer the registration of a South Australian registered car into your name unless you can establish a residential address in SA.
In Victoria, you have to provide a (Victorian) licence number to register a car, and if you can't you then have to go through a very complex process to establish your identity and age.
You cannot now hold a licence in more than one State in Australia (the various registries are all interconnected).
You can pick up a car in SA and drive it to Victoria on a Victorian issued unregistered vehicle permit. That permit will also allow you to drive it in Victoria to get repaired, roadworthy tested and for registration. A one month permit is not prohibitively expensive (<$100). Get a month rather than a week, because the cost is only slightly more.
A roadworthiness/inspection certificate issued in SA is of no use here.

My suggestion:
1. Buy the car in SA, negotiate a good price without the inspection cert. If it has a recent inspection cert it will give you some reassurance that the car is near to roadworthy.
2. If it's registered in SA say you'll but it unregistered and the seller can get a refund on the registration. Make sure that you get some benefit of that refund in the price you pay
3. Get an unregistered permit in Victoria with a suitable commencement date.
4. The permit lets you drive the car back to Vic and enables you to drive it around to get a RWC or the repairs needed before you can get one.
5. With a roadworthy and club membership (of a club in the permit scheme) you can get your documentation signed by the club secretary and then take the documents and the RWC and proof of ownership (car is not needed) to VicRoads and get your permit registration. If your proof o ownership is a receipt you'll have to pay duty on the purchase price.

HTH

Joolstacho

« Reply #20 on: 18-Feb-19, 17:58 »
Thanks mate, that explains it all very succinctly.

Mins Man

« Reply #21 on: 18-Feb-19, 18:21 »
The good news is that you pay stamp duty on the purchase price when you register it, but if it's going on the permit scheme you don't pay it.  :2afro:

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt