Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: South Australia - Historical Vehicle Registration?  (Read 397 times)

Excalibre

South Australia - Historical Vehicle Registration?
« Started on: 21-Feb-19, 15:08 »
For the South Aussies:

Does anyone have their CX on Historical Vehicle Registration?
Looking at the conditions, I need to be a financial member of a recognised motor vehicle club. Which club(s) do you recommend?
Is it an issue if the bike is modified from it's original design? i.e. Mine is a cafe racer. I know this can be an issue in some states but I can't find anything in the SA conditions that preclude modifications.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/vehicles-and-registration/conditional-registration/historic-left-hand-drive-and-street-rod-vehicles

Cheers,
Wayne

ericclapham

Ex , I've got my '83 CX650E on historic rego with the Adelaide Classic MCC. Their list of what mods are allowed and dis-allowed is a bit general and seems that it very much depends on the individual bike. How you  will fair with a cafe racer, I don't know. That might be too far away from original. That works out to about $98 bucks for the rego for the 90 days you are permitted to ride and my F.Comp. with Shannons is $58.00 for that same period. Eric. C.

Excalibre

Ex , I've got my '83 CX650E on historic rego with the Adelaide Classic MCC. Their list of what mods are allowed and dis-allowed is a bit general and seems that it very much depends on the individual bike. How you  will fair with a cafe racer, I don't know. That might be too far away from original. That works out to about $98 bucks for the rego for the 90 days you are permitted to ride and my F.Comp. with Shannons is $58.00 for that same period. Eric. C.
Thanks Eric,
I've sent them an email with a photo to see if they'd consider it eligible.
Cheers

CX PHREAK

Curious about what is being saved here. I'm a carer, so get a concession. Whichever bike I'm currently riding is on full rego but can only get full concession on one - which is on my 500C which hasn't been registered for over a year now.

The bike I'm currently riding costs me $109.75 a quarter. Up about $5 from last quarter.

The saving doesn't seem worth jumping through hoops for and having limitations placed on the bike use for. Or am I missing something?

Factor in club dues ....

denuto

The 90 days is not 90 days of registration (= 3 months) but allows you to ride up to 90 days during the calendar year (recording the use in a logbook). If you owned 4 bikes, all on club permits you could ride every day of the year (except 5). Keeping them all going, managing the log books, organising the parking arrangements and remembering where you're up to would be quite a task.

The beauty of a permit scheme is that you can continue to ride a classic bike (or drive a classic car) without having to make the same financial commitment you would make for a vehicle you could use every day. We should be grateful and not abuse the privilege, lest it be taken away.

CX PHREAK

It appears I've grievously misinterpreted how the scheme works.

But I'll just go on paying full rego. :)

bahn88

I would think historic rego is attractive to those that own 3 bikes or more and rotate the use of the bikes.
That way you'd have wheels for the majority of the year but save $1200 annually (vs full reg) in Vic. anyway

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Guys,

I only have very recent Historic Rego in NSW, but the scheme sounds the same in each state - log book records for a max of 60 days for "non club related riding" during the year - must keep logbook with you and ensure you have your trip details logged BEFORE you start your journey. If Mr Plod pulls you over they could check these details and you will be a naughty boy if the details are not in the log.

I believe any "CLUB" events are excluded from the logbook recording requirement.

Cheers

Excalibre

It appears I've grievously misinterpreted how the scheme works.

But I'll just go on paying full rego. :)
denuto summed it up rather well.
I'm lucky enough to have a few bikes. I can't justify the expense of having them all registered all of the time. At the moment they're all on seasonal registration (which is awesome by the way!). I tend to cycle through the regos such that I have two or so registered at any one time (at the moment it's 4 but SWMBO doesn't need to know that  2wink) .
The CX is not a daily rider and is the only bike that is eligible for historical registration. I figure that for about the cost of 3 months rego I can have it registered all year round and pick and choose which days I ride it. Insurance is much cheaper too.
The only inconvenience is filling in the log book before each ride, but I don't believe the entries need to be too specific. i.e.  I think a region is considered acceptable

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Note:

The NSW logbook information sheet specifies for use of 60 days of General Use (Maintenance and Personal Use), outside of club organised events.

I think the "maintenance" aspect is considered of about 40km radius from your home address.. but anyone with further details- chime in.. 2smiley

Excalibre

Note:

The NSW logbook information sheet specifies for use of 60 days of General Use (Maintenance and Personal Use), outside of club organised events.

I think the "maintenance" aspect is considered of about 40km radius from your home address.. but anyone with further details- chime in.. 2smiley

The SA scheme seems a bit more relaxed.
It's a simple 90 days/year, no club event clauses and no distance/radius restrictions.
Fortunately, in 2017 the scheme was expanded to permit modified vehicles provided they are compliant with vehicles standards legislation.

The word on the street is it's not worth trying to cheat the log book system by sneaking in the occasional un-logged ride  fietsertour.
With all the number plate recognition cameras around it's not unheard of to have the constabulary knock on your door and ask to see the log entry for a particular day  2police :prisoner:

Onetrack

Can a log book journey be interstate?
"Young" Les F

Mins Man

From what I know of the Victorian scheme Les, you can ride wherever you like as long as you fill in the log book for that day. It covers the 24 hours for that day and if you need to ride past midnight you have to fill in the log book for that new day.
It's a good scheme that I hate to see abused by some people in case the Government decides to scrap it.

Seagrass

The NSW scheme also allows interstate travel.

Seagrass

Excalibre

Can a log book journey be interstate?
"Young" Les F

I didn't see anything in the conditions that said it couldn't be ridden interstate.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

I will be doing that in May this year when I ride from Penrith to the Gold Coast for the VJMC.

2smiley

Mins Man

I have a vague memory of reading somewhere (VJMC newsletter perhaps) that the permit schemes are recognised everywhere except WA.

SlotBaker

Note:

The maintenance aspect doesn't apply with the NSW Log Book trial.
Any trip not considered to be a club run, has to be logged.

The maintenance/servicing thing, is part of the original Conditional Rego scheme (which is still operating) and no distance is quoted by the RMS.
They loosely specify it this way;
"Historic vehicles can also be used on a road or road related area for:
*   Servicing within a short distance from their place of garaging
*   The inspection of the vehicle."

Sometimes the Club responsible for issueing the Conditional Rego has its own regs to further regulate use of the vehicle.

Seagrass

Note:

The maintenance aspect doesn't apply with the NSW Log Book trial.
Any trip not considered to be a club run, has to be logged.

The maintenance/servicing thing, is part of the original Conditional Rego scheme (which is still operating) and no distance is quoted by the RMS.
They loosely specify it this way;
"Historic vehicles can also be used on a road or road related area for:
*   Servicing within a short distance from their place of garaging
*   The inspection of the vehicle."

Sometimes the Club responsible for issueing the Conditional Rego has its own regs to further regulate use of the vehicle.

That is interesting as unless I have misunderstood, my local club advises that the normal club riding conditions (maintenance rides, club rides etc) still apply AS WELL AS the Log book rules.

I will try to clarify this a our monthly meeting next Monday and report back.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Hi Seagrass,

I won't be at next Mondays meeting, could you post my apologies.

Will be off on a short fishing adventure for a few days next week... will post photos if I/we catch ANYTHING...

Will be interested to know the outcome of the question.

Charlie

Seagrass

No problem Charlie. I think the meeting is actually the following Monday.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Ok - then I might be able to make the meeting... Doh

SlotBaker

That is interesting as unless I have misunderstood, my local club advises that the normal club riding conditions (maintenance rides, club rides etc) still apply AS WELL AS the Log book rules.

I will try to clarify this a our monthly meeting next Monday and report back.

Seagrass
When the Log book was first introduced, it was (incorrectly) said to be 'the same as the old/current scheme, but with 60 days added for other use.

But when all the documentation was sorted, it became aparrant that is wan't 'the same as'.

Have a look at this NSW RMS page under Questions and answers, 8th point down, beginning "Are maintenance...."

If you're not on the log book trial, then the servicing/maintenance allowances are the same as before.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt