Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Warning Sticker: How to paint around?  (Read 394 times)

Krisby

Warning Sticker: How to paint around?
« Started on: 24-Feb-19, 17:13 »
Hello All,

I am planning on repainting the frame on my CX500 Shadow, but I don't know how to deal with the warning sticker that shows you how to route all the various tubes & hoses down through the frame.  I want this sticker to appear on the finished frame, like original, so should I mask it over prior to painting, or can I successfully remove it and then successfully replace it after the new paint has dried?  I cannot find an exact replacement for this sticker which I believe is a "Mark, Battery Caution 87506-449-705", so I would have to replace the original if I removed it, but that might be stretching my skills.

Any ideas?

ericclapham

Re: Warning Sticker: How to paint around?
« Reply #1 on: 24-Feb-19, 17:32 »
Hi Krisby, "BDesigns" in California might be able to supply new ( repro ) ones on request. IMO much better than masking off or trying to remove and re-use the originals.

Mins Man

« Reply #2 on: 24-Feb-19, 17:35 »
I don't know whether you would be able to remove the sticker without damaging it.
It might be better to try masking it or there is companies that will make an identical label for you but it could be pricey.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #3 on: 24-Feb-19, 17:52 »
If you try to remove it - disaster whatever way you go - it's been on there for a few years and won't like being removed. As for masking it off - the masking tape or whatever you use, the new paint will bleed into it, and when removed will tear the edges of your sticker - disaster again...sorry no good news in being able to save it.

Possible suggestion - cover it in clear coat or wrap it tightly with cling wrap then cut around the label and see if it will stay on, then mask some tape over it, then hand paint around the area

CX PHREAK

« Reply #4 on: 24-Feb-19, 19:23 »
This vendor

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CX500-CX500C-TYRE-INFORMATION-CAUTION-DECAL/142645363155?hash=item21365381d3

was selling full sets {and the decals individually} for the CX500 a while back.

I have used a set and was impressed with them.

Unfortunately at present they show no ebay listings for these but it may be worth contacting them.

Krisby

« Reply #5 on: 26-Feb-19, 21:37 »
Thank you CX PHREAK for the link to decal maker..... I see that they say that they can make up a decal from a sample.

I've gone ahead and masked the decal on the frame...........  the decal being in good shape.  So I'll just go ahead and paint the frame now.  I think I'm going to hang the frame from the rafters with some wire & rope........... then I should be able to get into every nook and cranny, high and low.  I'm going to use a zinc-rich primer, and top each coat with a slight speckling of black paint, otherwise I will not be able to know if I've covered all of the frame with each coat or maybe gone over the same area twice or three times and completely missed other areas.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #6 on: 26-Feb-19, 21:48 »
They must already have the artwork Krisby.

Paint all of the most difficult nooks and crannies first and be prepared to perhaps wipe up runs.

Krisby

« Reply #7 on: 28-Feb-19, 17:01 »
Hmm,  I've seen videos online that show removing stickers with a heat-gun or hair dryer; the idea is that the glue softens with the heat, but I don't know if the stickers are in any shape to put back on.  Anyway, I've covered the sticker with a piece of waterproof cloth-reinforced tape, then cut around the edges with a razor blade.  I'll see what happens; but I imagine there will be an issue with the "edge" where the sticker ends and the paint begins.  Anyway, if it doesn't look good and I can't fix it up, I can remove the sticker, smooth-out the painted surface, and then put on a new custom-made sticker.

Now I'm waiting for the weather to clear-up and the air to get drier, before commencing the painting of the frame.

Not having a media-blaster, I've had to scrape the old paint off a lot of places where it was thin & there were rust issues, and just sanded the gloss off the good parts.  The frame of the CX is very complex, down where it connects to the engine, so it will be a challenge to evenly paint all areas.  Maybe next Xmas Santa will bring me a powder coating spray kit..............

One picture is worth a thousand words, so I've attached 4 pictures which totals 4 thousand words!

Mins Man

« Reply #8 on: 01-Mar-19, 08:46 »
I've successfully painted around stickers by covering them with masking tape and trimming around with a sharp blade.
It works best if you use a good quality tape and don't leave it on for too long or it will leave a residue on your stickers.

Krisby

« Reply #9 on: 01-Mar-19, 10:56 »
I got up this morning having decided to remove the subject sticker/decal with heat, but when I started to peel away the red tape I used to mask the sticker, I noticed that the sticker was coming away with the tape.

The good news:  I easily peeled the sticker off the tape, and had one near perfect sticker!

The bad news:    When removing the tape's adhesive residue from the sticker with tea tree oil and tissue paper, I was also removing the black lettering and graphics.... ARGHHHHH..........!!!!!!!

So, I've learned that tea tree oil will dissolve the "ink" on stickers....... valuable lesson!  Now I'll have to have one custom made.  See photo:

CX PHREAK

« Reply #11 on: 01-Mar-19, 17:01 »
That's the only one I could find. OK if your CX is a turbo but the turbo frame and plumbing is different and subsequently the sticker.

J.C.

« Reply #12 on: 01-Mar-19, 18:57 »
Part no. HON-78CX500-OTD from here is similar:

http://www.bdesigns.ca/70s_Honda.htm

Click Shadow on the left tab to bring up the page.

Krisby

« Reply #13 on: 02-Mar-19, 13:47 »
J.C.  ..........  I did see that sticker on the bdesigns site, but that is for the early model shadow (doesn't have "PIPING AS SHOWN BELOW" under "CAUTION"), and the turbo sticker suggested by denuto is not the right one either.  On the bottom right hand of the stickers is their part number, and the one I need has "449-705" printed on it, and the full Honda part number is:  8750-449-705.  I just want to see if I can get the correct sticker, otherwise I'll omit it.  I've sent some emails to Australian companies that make stickers to see if they can make me up a custom reproduction.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #14 on: 02-Mar-19, 14:20 »
Somewhere in my shed is a sticker I successfully removed from an 81 shadow and stuck to a piece of sticker backing paper.

If I can find it you can have it.

But I'm not spending much time in the shed in this weather.

I'm actually rebuilding 3 gearboxes inside.  :tease:

Krisby

« Reply #15 on: 10-Mar-19, 13:05 »
Thanks CX PHREAK, but I'm proceeding down the custom reproduction road at present....  I got a quote from a local firm, and an example of what they've made up on their computer.  The cost is $30 to create it on their computer (Artwork), and only $5 for each physical sticker produced.  I noticed that they omitted the part number from the bottom of their Artwork, and so I've emailed them asking if they can include the 449-750 ID on the bottom of the sticker.  Am I going too far with authenticity?

If anybody is looking for a new copy of this particular sticker for $5, you can P.M. me.  The Honda Parts List has this as  "Mark, Battery Caution 87506-449-705".  My bike is the last of the Australian CX500 Shadows, but it may be the same caution sticker as for other CX models of the early 80's.  This is what the printers have emailed me:

CX PHREAK

« Reply #16 on: 10-Mar-19, 13:13 »
I'll take 2.

Krisby

« Reply #17 on: 10-Mar-19, 17:02 »
10-4 CX PHREAK I copy that order (CB radio lingo)  ...  I am expecting the signwriting firm to get back to me on Monday regarding the addition of the ID numbers to the Artwork, then I'll make my order and pick them up in town at the end of the week.  As indicated, they appear to be UV stabilized.

Update:  CX PHREAK, are you sure you are wanting this version of the sticker?  Most of the CX 500 are the part number 87506-415-670, which have printed on the bottom right hand corner "415-67"  Not a huge difference.  see below:

CX PHREAK

« Reply #18 on: 10-Mar-19, 17:38 »
I'll be painting my 500C frame at some point in the future. 449 suits that model.

Krisby

« Reply #19 on: 11-Mar-19, 12:29 »
Yes, I just went out and checked my '81 Shadow (CDI model) and it is also has the 449-750 sticker.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle