Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Nearing End of Rebuild - Need Advice on a Couple of Items.  (Read 295 times)

Barocca

I have FSM, parts fiches, Haynes manual and usual web resources.  I generally try to solve any queries by consulting these in the first instance, but still am grateful to be able to ask questions when my efforts fail.  So I'm going to post a question here, and maybe add a few more as the rebuild nears completion. 
My current question is "What is the function of the threaded hole near to the neutral switch"?

CX PHREAK

It holds the protective cover for the neutral switch wire.

4 here.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1981/cx500c-a-custom/rear-engine-cover

Barocca

Thanks Phreak, I could kick myself!  Couldn't find the neutral wire guide, so had to fabricate one. 

Barocca

ITEM #2   -   In the headlight cowl I appear to have resolved all wiring issues except one.  One of the several green (earth) wires has a female spade connector, and I have no idea where this should go.  Any ideas learned friends?

Barocca

I would still be grateful for any advice on #2 above. 

Seagrass

There is typically a green connector that has three connections, one double ended, and this connects the indicator wires into the main earth wire.

From memory the green wire you are referring to also goes in that connector.

Seagrass

Barocca

Thanks Seagrass.  I think I may have solved it.  I found a wiring diagram that appears to show a female green (earth) spade connector in the lower left corner just above the Turn Signal Relay.  It looks to be unused on my (Australian) model, but perhaps was provided for wiring requirements for other markets. 

CX PHREAK

On models with a metal headlight shell there is a spade tag on the inside of the headlight shell that a wire connector attaches to to earth the shell.

.... But I can't see why a 78 would have this in its wiring.

Barocca

Thanks Phreak,
The bike is Dec78 according to VIN etc.  I have a picture below that shows the terminal under discussion. 
Item A is the female spade terminal;
Item B is a female bullet terminal; and
Item C is a bunch of (I believe) unused terminals which possibly correspond to the items in the red rectangle in the wiring diagram picture. 

CX PHREAK

Are they spades or bullets? I can't really tell in the picture.

Barocca

Phreak, wrt the cluster of three wires they are:
Brown - single female bullet connector;
Green - double female bullet connector; and
Black - double female bullet connector

CX PHREAK

Brown may be for a parking light - or perhaps the tail light.

The greens being paired may be for the front indicator circuit.

Black is always switched power but I can't guess the use.

What doesn't work? This would be a clue.

I would need to look over a full diagram to give any more meaningful answer.

Barocca

Phreak,
I'm not sure what's working yet as I'm connecting all wires where I'm certain of their purpose, and then will test.  Maybe this arvo or tomorrow.  Will report back. 

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle