Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: steering head bearing removal  (Read 92 times)

gm

steering head bearing removal
« Started on: 16-Mar-19, 14:34 »
Hello Gurus
I hope you are all well
Its been a while since I posted anything.  been distracted.
I have pulled down my spare 650 bike, sand blasted the frame and resprayed it.  it looks much better and ready for the rebuild. 
First obstacle is the steering head bearing I have read through the posts for the conversion at the top of the guru's page and noted that some had had difficulties with removal of the old bearings.  My rebuild bike already had the taper bearing but it did not look in great condition and considering the effort in pulling the whole thing apart I thought it was worthy of new bearings. I attached a photo
The last entry for the conversion topic was 2014 and I could not connect to the link to Joe's drop box entry #141
so just a few questions that I hope you could help me with
1. has anything changed for replacing the bearing?
2. has anyone found a way to remove the old bearing from the frame?
3. where can I purchase the replacement bearings?
thanks GM

Seagrass

Re: steering head bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: 16-Mar-19, 15:07 »
Graham you need to hammer out the old bearing race from the opposite side using a long implement as a drift. Work your way around the bearing and it will find out slowly.

If you check with Joe Hovel he probably has the bearings in stock, if not try www.wemoto.com.au.

Seagrass

gm

« Reply #2 on: 16-Mar-19, 15:29 »
thanks Seagrass
good to hear from you.
I thought that might be the answer. There just doesn't seem to be much of a lip to grip.  I've seen some ritzy tools on utube but these look like they would cost more than the bike.
I should have taken these out before I sprayed the frame.
oh well I will take it slow and hopefully it will be ok
looking forward to getting back into things.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #3 on: 16-Mar-19, 16:49 »
Hi Graham,

The top one usually comes out pretty easy. The bottom one can take a fair bit of persistence.

On my Turbo I used a long screwdriver (old one with a knackered handle), and heated the tip up and bent the shaft and the tip over. I could then manage to get a purchase on the bottom race. Gently tap around the race as you go and it will come out - a bit of patience and maybe a bfh when needed.

The bottom race is harder as you are inserting into a smaller hole from the top and less angle to work with, from the bottom it is a bigger hole and more angle.

gm

« Reply #4 on: 16-Mar-19, 17:00 »
thanks 82....
thats interesting.  on mine the top one seems the most difficult although it is sitting proud of the frame by 3mm see previous photo and the lower one is loose and sits inside the frame by about 5mm see new photo. 
Is this how it is supposed to be?
the bent screw driver blade seems like a good idea I'll try that.
GM

jhovel

« Reply #5 on: 16-Mar-19, 23:13 »
Hi. Welcome back.
I'm still around - mostly just reading....
I no longer have any access to member discount for the bearings, so no point with double postage etc.
I ended up using a piece of solid steel bar about 12mm diameter and at least a hand-width longer than the headstem. I cut one end at a slight angle so it meets the bearing lip at the opposite end of the headstem at more or less right angles. That way it doesn't have as much tendency to slip off the narrow lip and go through when you hit it. Wear gloves in case it still does. You do have to hit them fairly hard for the first few hits around the circle. Then they come out easily, because the cups they sit in are actually slightly tapered.
Also, when you install the new ones, make sure they are seated properly - for the same reason! Or they will continue to keep coming loose as they seat themselves from going over bumps.....

gm

« Reply #6 on: 16-Mar-19, 23:23 »
thanks Joe
good to hear from you too
I will make up a drift from what I can find in the shed.
I'll post the results
thanks again
GM

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle