Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Standard Spark plugs OR Iridium Plugs.  (Read 180 times)

Cass

Standard Spark plugs OR Iridium Plugs.
« Started on: 07-Apr-19, 12:31 »
Just sealed the tank with KBS sealer as the bike was hard to start, however after sealing bike still would not start. Changed out the plugs for older ones and bugger me dead, it started!

Just wondering if it's worth buying Iridium plugs or stick to standard plugs and change more regularly?

Cass.

CX PHREAK

Re: Standard Spark plugs OR Iridium Plugs.
« Reply #1 on: 07-Apr-19, 13:36 »
Standard plugs are around $6 each, irridiums $20 +.

In a motor as easy to access the plugs as a CX I don't see much benefit to irridiums.

And irridiums are generally unreadable masking mixture problems as they're pretty much self cleaning.

Irridiums are resister plugs. If you require resisters you can fit DR8EA rather than D8EA.

Joolstacho

« Reply #2 on: 28-Apr-19, 09:10 »
Iridiums no better, they just last longer.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #3 on: 28-Apr-19, 09:48 »
I don't see the connection between sealing the tank and the before and after of the bike being hard to start.

I suppose if the tank had rust/sediment that was flowing unfiltered to the carbs, yes bike could be hard to start if the jets/passages were clogged with debris.

Sealing the tank is one way of stopping further issues.  Were the carbies removed and cleaned as well as putting a filter in line?.

On the spark plug question, I have used the recommended plugs, not used irridium plugs on a normally aspirated CX - but am using irridium on the Turbo as they are recommended type plugs to use.

I purchased a set of irridium off ebay - from the UK - cost me about $37 delivered to Australia for two of them. Purchasing from Auto barn or Supercheap they were about $30 each.

Cheers

rooray

« Reply #4 on: 22-May-19, 00:54 »
I have found iridium to be better than standard plugs. In economy and last longer.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle