Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Broken Air Mixture Screws  (Read 316 times)

Barocca

Broken Air Mixture Screws
« Started on: 24-May-19, 12:45 »
Whilst rebuilding my CX500 I have found that both carbs had broken tips of the air mixture screws lodged in the bodies of the carbs.  I have Larry's carb book and have read many posts about how to try to remedy the problem including https://cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/1690-bike-not-running-smooth-2.html.  My attempts to remove the tip on one of the carbs have failed, and I've given up trying for fear of causing further damage.  Is any of our members able to undertake this task for me?  Or able to recommend some suitably skilled guru?  In the absence of this I'll have to seek replacement carbs.

CX PHREAK

Re: Broken Air Mixture Screws
« Reply #1 on: 24-May-19, 22:43 »
When rebuilding your carbs don't replace any brass that isn't actually damaged. Keihin made these parts better than whoever makes these replacement parts.

The mixture screws in particular are problematic as the end taper is often not correct. When lightly seated they can jam in the drilling and snap off. Sound familiar? I've had it happen to me too.

Due to this they don't meter or adjust properly either.

As an aside, the float needles included in the kits give odd float heights - no good if you have non adjustable plastic floats. The originals are long lived and likely good to go with a clean.

As to your issue, I'm prepared to have a crack - bearing in mind I destroyed my last attempt and replaced the carb body.

Alternatively, I may be able to supply you a carb body - depending on your carb number on the side of the carbs . It'll start with VB and likely 36.

Barocca

« Reply #2 on: 25-May-19, 18:52 »
Mr Phreak, that is great news.  The carbs are VB36A.  I will PM you.  Thanks. 

Barocca

« Reply #3 on: 17-Jun-19, 17:22 »
I received carbs back from CXPhreak today.  He went to great lengths to help me with this problem, and I just want to publicly record my gratitude.  Thanks Mark. 

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 17-Jun-19, 18:37 »
I received carbs back from CXPhreak today.  He went to great lengths to help me with this problem, and I just want to publicly record my gratitude.  Thanks Mark. 

He is a very talented and most helpful member of the forum and we are very lucky to have him.

Good work Mark :2afro:

Seagrass

CX PHREAK

« Reply #5 on: 18-Jun-19, 11:38 »
Happy to have helped.

Incidentally, the removal wasn't successful so I replaced the bodies from spares.

Don't use aftermarket brass.  :tease:

finn_nz

« Reply #6 on: 15-Aug-19, 15:38 »
thanks for the heads up about the brass bits, mine are fine i just need to replace orings and floatbowl seal, if i hadnt have read ur post i probablly woulda used the new brass bits,,,,,,thankyou

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle