Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: 650E Clutch  (Read 371 times)

gm

650E Clutch
« Started on: 11-Aug-19, 16:34 »
Hello Gurus
I hope you are all well and can help.  Sadly I havn't been riding the 650 lately and now it is due for rego.  I drained carby and put fresh fuel in, it took a few turns but kicked over it wouldn't idle but quite often it is like this until it has warmed up.  I
applied the clutch and put it in gear and noted the crunch as if there was no clutch luckily it was still on the centre stand as the back wheel was spinning wildly.  I turned the motor off checked the operation of the clutch and the cable moved ok all the way to the casing. I tried to move the back wheel and it was firmly in gear. 
When the clutch is applied it makes a light clunking sound from inside the casing.
do you have any ideas on where to start to fix this problem?
regards
gm

Seagrass

Re: 650E Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 11-Aug-19, 17:46 »
Graham it sounds like your clutch plates have stuck together. A couple of other members have had this problem and they fixed it somehow but I am struggling to remember how.

I vaguely remember it involved holding the clutch in so it could disengage but I cannot remember what else they did.

Seagrass

CX PHREAK

« Reply #2 on: 11-Aug-19, 18:29 »
Hold the bike on the brakes. Give a few small revs and engage first as the revs drop. This is generally enough to free stuck plates.

gm

« Reply #3 on: 11-Aug-19, 18:47 »
Thanks Gurus
I was hoping it might be something simple.  It didn't make sense that it was fine and then after not moving it stopped operating.  I will let you know how it goes.
this is probably a protest by the bike for not being used enough.
thanks again CX PHREAK and Seagrass
gm

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #4 on: 11-Aug-19, 18:49 »
Tie the clutch lever back with a zip tie. Then start the bike and put it in gear.

Keep the revs up, then apply the rear brake gently - it should put enough pressure on the drive train to free up the clutch plates. Even if you let it idle, the clutch may well free itself, as with the clutch lever pulled back it will let some warm oil circulate between the plates

gm

« Reply #5 on: 11-Aug-19, 20:31 »
thanks 82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie
one dumb question should this be done on the centre stand?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #6 on: 11-Aug-19, 21:26 »
Hi Graham,

Yes- I would do it on the centre stand - a lot easier to control the revs and rear brake - when standing on the right hand side of the bike. don't force it you will feel it break free.

cheers

gm

« Reply #7 on: 12-Aug-19, 21:34 »
ok I've tried both methods the second for about 10minutes and while the clutch hasn't released the back whel is easier to turn with the clutch depressed.
not sure what to do next
any ideas?

muzza

« Reply #8 on: 13-Aug-19, 04:16 »
might be time to delve into the internals under the clutch cover. Download a copy of the FSM and have at it

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #9 on: 13-Aug-19, 07:27 »
My thoughts would be to stick with it - it will break loose - sounds like the plates have definitely stuck together. When you eventually get some fresh oil between the plates it will come good.

Bring the bike up to temperature - then you can be a little bit more aggressive with the rear brake - don't ease it on - give it a good emergency stop routine a few times - you might stall the bike( try to keep the revs up when you do this also) - but you will get success.

cheers

Charlie

Mins Man

« Reply #10 on: 13-Aug-19, 14:45 »
Might as well have my 2c worth too. I haven't experienced this with a bike, but I have a couple of times with cars.
The solution I used then was to put the car in top gear and then get behind it and rock it back and forwards until the clutch released and the car moved forward.
I don't know whether this would work on a bike, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go.  :dontknow:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #11 on: 13-Aug-19, 17:51 »
Reasonable solution Harry - and it would work.

Problem I see is you could be rocking that bike for quite a while. Lot of effort, whereas the other processes would yield a faster and less laborious exertion.

And you know what I think about effit.. lmao

gm

« Reply #12 on: 13-Aug-19, 20:30 »
thank you
I will try this out.  your insights are much appreciated.  I will let you know how it goes.

Seagrass

« Reply #13 on: 13-Aug-19, 21:02 »
Graeme if it is now rideable I would simply take it for a ride after properly warming up the engine as I think that will solve your problem.

Seagrass

muzza

« Reply #14 on: 14-Aug-19, 04:38 »
standard method locally - for cars - was to jack the rear wheels up clear of ground , sit in the car with the motor running and gear engaged, and have someone drop the jack.

You could do the same by rocking forward off the centre stand. Obviously point in a clear direction first ... ;-)

denuto

« Reply #15 on: 14-Aug-19, 14:36 »
@muzza the standard method in my locality (where we're all wimps) is to jack the car up with wheels off the ground, start the engine, run it in top gear so the wheels are spinning pretty fast (say > 50 km/h) depress the clutch pedal (which does nothing) and then jam on the brakes. This will either stall the motor - if the clutch doesn't free up - or will break the frozen clutch plate free of the flywheel or the pressure plate, whichever it is stuck to. I'd like to watch your method of dropping it off the jack but only from a safe distance. As for doing it with a bike, I guess you have to sit on it and hang on, and make sure there's empty space in front of you in case the bike takes off!

@gm from the description you've given it sounds like the clutch plates were stuck, and now they're sticking a bit. If that's the case, riding the bike should eventually free up the clutch plates fully, but ride on a road and in a manner that minimises the risk of having the thing stuck in gear without a properly operating clutch.

gm

« Reply #16 on: 14-Aug-19, 18:54 »
SUCCESS!!!!
I tried all of the methods but took the bike up to operating temperature first while on the stand.  I'll appologise the to the neighbours later.  every so often I'd check the clutch operation with the motor off and noticed that there was some slip with the clutch pulled on and I think the final treatment of slamming the brakes on caused it to break free.  I found it didn't idle well so I'll get on to that next.  it feels good to get back to playing with the bike.
thank you one and all for your help.  this is truly a great site with great people.
gm

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #17 on: 14-Aug-19, 20:15 »
Nice result

2wink

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle