Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: CX500 turbo on ebay - Victoria  (Read 178 times)

denuto

CX500 turbo on ebay - Victoria
« Started on: 13-Sep-19, 17:19 »
Not mine (although I would be unhappy if it was!) and don't know the seller or the bike.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183950892288?ul_noapp=true

Onetrack

Re: CX500 turbo on ebay - Victoria
« Reply #1 on: 14-Sep-19, 06:00 »
To quote the seller.....
"It will make an excellent project bike for a restoration, cafe racer, street tracker or bobber! "    2cry

"Young" Les F 

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #2 on: 14-Sep-19, 10:23 »
That bike has been sitting for quite awhile. The amount of corrosion on the valve covers is a fair bit. No bonnet.

In all fairness the fairings and bodywork look pretty good.  Just having a closer look at the photos - they all look ordinary - side covers and tail piece are OK, Fairing has paint missing over the exhaust on the right hand side - and general marks on the left side. Mufflers are not original. Heavy corrosion on the motor. Handlebar cover missing, bonnet missing. Windscreen might be original. Not sure if the dash cover is broken.  No chinstrap at bottom of front fairing, no radiator screen either.
Looking at cost of body parts - probably about guessing at $200. Cost of mechanicals - rebuild forks - new seals, oil - hopefully no rust, dust seals at the top $150, new brake pads all round - new seals front and rear, new brake lines as well - possibly  rekit both master cylinders $5-600, two tyres $350. New oil and filters - air filter $100, new plugs $40.
Possible fuel injectors need to be cleaned and flow tested - $100 minimum. Hopefully all the sensors work, possible water pump seal and or stator upwards of $300 plus labour for the above - $1000 plus parts $1750 - close enough to another $3000 before you clean up and repaint the motor and any other associated findings do not put that in my ballpark at all.

Have not looked this morning for price, but last night 11 bids for $3000.

Good luck whoever is buying it.   

Looks like a good candidate to restore  - albeit you will need to put another $2 or $3 into it and do the labour yourself..imho of course

Mins Man

« Reply #3 on: 14-Sep-19, 10:27 »
Yeah it's certainly a bit rough and missing a few bits as well.
I can't see how this bike would look any good as a cafe racer etc. as they're pretty ugly when you remove the fairing.
Still, the bidding is going pretty well....I might stick my one on Feebay too.  happy0062

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #4 on: 14-Sep-19, 13:43 »
Hey Harry,

Are you going to paint it and put it back to original? OR leave it black...??

Mins Man

« Reply #5 on: 14-Sep-19, 19:43 »
As usual Charlie, you're wrong again! It was never black...it was Dark Jade Green, a colour I pinched off the 69 Mustang.
Now it's a delightful shade of Subaru Silver which annoys Doddsy no end.  happy0062

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #6 on: 14-Sep-19, 19:45 »
That's awesome - all the different layers of paint should slow it down enough for you to ride like your postie..

lol

Did you say it annoys Ian or he gives you *****e about the colour??

doddsy1000

« Reply #7 on: 15-Sep-19, 10:13 »
Yes,  it does annoy Doddsy no end  lmao lmao lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #8 on: 16-Sep-19, 06:26 »
Yes,  it does annoy Doddsy no end  lmao lmao lmao
:woohoo: Another victory.

bahn88

« Reply #9 on: 16-Sep-19, 19:11 »
Shouldn't a turbo be painted stealth black (i.e. radar proof black?)
I still have some in the garage as I recall-and less $ than BMW paint per litre. Open to offers... but no warranties due to age 2rolleyes
Looks also better than adhoc radar proofing (wrapping in foil) as well..........

denuto

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 14:31 »

bahn88

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 19:17 »
I know what you mean-OK condition for most people is workable-a rusty skeleton can become pristine in the hands of a good mechanic (not classing myself as such)

The fairing is off the red CX I am assuming-as the headlight shell on the bike has been moved up considerably.

The fairing itself sits fairly high as I recall-a female rider I knew hated the la Parisian 'cause she was straining to look over the top-this was when we liked to see the front wheel and those new-fangled full road fairings seemed "foreign" 2rolleyes

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt