Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: Engine Ice Coolant  (Read 291 times)

Cass

Engine Ice Coolant
« Started on: 22-Sep-19, 12:58 »
Anyone tried Engine Ice Coolant?

Kathy

Re: Engine Ice Coolant
« Reply #1 on: 22-Sep-19, 13:28 »
Anyone tried Engine Ice Coolant?
Nope - but I just switched to Nulon One because it suits all my liquid cooled bikes which between them need a silicate-free/nitrite-free coolant that is suitable for use in soldered copper/brass radiators (I actually spoke to a gentleman in Nulon's technical support division to confirm it's properties).

Also and with an advertised life of 10 years/1,000,000 kilometres, I won't have to change it for a while ...

Cass

« Reply #2 on: 22-Sep-19, 13:36 »
Kathy I heard that Nulon one is similar to Honda type 2 coolant and recommended as a OEM replacement, Are you happy with the performance of the Nulon One Coolant?

Kathy

« Reply #3 on: 22-Sep-19, 14:02 »
I only changed to it last week (I did a radiator flush treatment first and also siphoned the coolant out of the reserve tank) and so far I've ridden about 500kms with it and it's been fine.

One of the other reasons I chose Nulon One is because I could buy it as a concentrate and mix it 50/50 - a lot of "ready to use" coolants only have 33% coolant.

J.C.

« Reply #4 on: 22-Sep-19, 14:13 »
+1 for Nulon One. I can't recall the last time I had to use anything else and have had zero issues across a variety of bikes/cars.

Cass

« Reply #5 on: 22-Sep-19, 14:49 »
Thanks for the feed back, How about purging the system with 50/50 vinegar to distilled water?

Kathy

« Reply #6 on: 22-Sep-19, 14:56 »
Thanks for the feed back, How about purging the system with 50/50 vinegar to distilled water?
Can't comment on the vinegar solution - I bought some radiator flush treatment when I bought the Nulon One - one bottle of radiator flush treatment does 2-3 bikes.

bahn88

« Reply #7 on: 22-Sep-19, 18:16 »
I'll come at this from a purely chemistry background my background is industrial chemistry/biochemistry- Generally you need to look for a coolant with the standard ATSM4985-that overs the silica requirement for low silica coolants-such as Nulon one/motorex 5.0/motorex 3.0 etc.

My understanding is Nulon one is simply a OAT/HOAT formulation-like most of the HOAT bike coolants on the market the aim is for compatibility with  all metal types and solder. The older car specific OATs have been thought to cause issue with some solders and copper previously

Can't argue with the testimonials of other forum members re Nulon one-but most bike specific coolants that meet ATSM4985 and are ethylene glycol based  and HOAT (hybrid) should be suitable.
I would think that a HOAT is the "universally compatible coolant"-and using an OAT (red) coolant could free up old nasty deposits from previous old technology coolants-many service bulletins on this.

Engine ice is PROPYLENE GLYCOL-non toxic, safe round pets-a good coolant but POOR antifreeze

Cass

« Reply #8 on: 22-Sep-19, 20:46 »
Therefore if it snows in Queensland it's no good!

bahn88

« Reply #9 on: 23-Sep-19, 06:51 »
haha-but maybe you'll need an anti-freeze if you decide to rally or visit us Mexicans tho'....

Also propylene glycol (e.g.Engine ice) will boil a few degrees BEFORE ethylene glycol based coolant-but most people think this is an O.K. trade off due to its low toxicity-normal coolant will quickly kill if consumed by a pet or child-its very sweet so most manufacturers will add a bittering agent to try to prevent that.

Cass

« Reply #10 on: 23-Sep-19, 16:16 »
Sorry bahn88 about my smart crack, Thanks for the excellent advice very much appreciated.

Cass. :2afro:

bahn88

« Reply #11 on: 23-Sep-19, 19:22 »
No worries-picked up on the humour aspect. 2wink

JC seems to have experience with Nulon one-that might be the go-just make sure you flush well prior to change over.................

I'm using Motorex 5.0, low silicate, ethylene glycol HOAT-a bit more expensive than the Nulon one.

I might change to Nulon one myself-after a good flush. Be careful with flushing agents tho' sometimes in a 40year old bike the corrosion/scale is actually stopping coolant leaks and once you flush these out with aggressive agents those annoying leaks appear....

Enjoy ur Queensland non anti freeze needing weather!!!! 2wink

Cass

« Reply #12 on: 24-Sep-19, 17:35 »
Took the advise and changed over to the power of one, Nulon One! Now I can make it to the boarder of Mexico if I ride like the wind!

Cheers Cass. :gangsta:

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle