Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: Temperature sender dimension (length)?  (Read 173 times)

bahn88

Temperature sender dimension (length)?
« Started on: 15-Sep-19, 14:24 »
Hi
I am aiming to fit an accessory temperature gauge and have a M16x1.5 adapter to take a 1/8PT (BSPT) sender for a Japanese gauge.
Can someone tell me what length is the OE Honda sender (from under the "bolt head" to the tip)?
Should I aim for the same length/close as possible or is this irrelevant as the sender sits in coolant at the bottom of the thermostat?

TIA

John

J.C.

Re: Temperature sender dimension (length)?
« Reply #1 on: 15-Sep-19, 17:02 »
26mm from under the hex head to the tip. The last step is 11mm long and from the final thread base to the tip is 15.3mm.

J.C.

« Reply #2 on: 15-Sep-19, 17:34 »
I suppose ideally you'd want  the sensor out in the main stream of coolant but I suspect that having it be less in the flow would not have much impact on the temp sensed.

bahn88

« Reply #3 on: 15-Sep-19, 18:38 »
Thanks for the reply-ideally I might need a longer sensor at the thermostat site based on your measurements
I was also thinking bout putting the sensor at the upper radiator house (using a sleeve) but ain't seen anything made with a 1/8 BSPT port as yet. (yes the solution might be to make one...)

Might try for the compatible longer sensor at thermostat first tho'.....

Cheers

J.C.

« Reply #4 on: 15-Sep-19, 19:37 »
When I adapted my temp gauge on a CX500 a few years back I didn't even give any thought to the length of the sender and used one of these (bunch of dead links but the first few are enough to show):

https://motofaction.org/part-reviews/aeroflow-m16-npt-18-thread-adapter-review-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

...with the sender that came with the gauge - was shorter from memory - and had no issues.

If I had thought to be concerned about it I might have wondered at the time but it didn't even occur.

muzza

« Reply #5 on: 16-Sep-19, 04:27 »
the sender probe will be  immersed in the coolant flow , so even if it is slightly out of the main stream it will only be one or two degrees less than the main flow temp

bahn88

« Reply #6 on: 16-Sep-19, 18:45 »
Thanks for all the replies.

The gauge itself is the "Aquaprova" digital- was going to go a traditional "clock" type gauge but a lot of builders/suppliers wouldn't state that "Autometer " etc was going to be weatherproof........
here's the link for anyone interested:

https://www.shindypro.com/temp_gauge.html

Anyone planning something similar-can't speak highly enough of Shindy (USA based)-that are happy to do "special orders." Rather than buy from ebay-they'll communicate with both you and the Japanese supplier to source what you need.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt