Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: C Tek battery chargers  (Read 192 times)

Onetrack

C Tek battery chargers
« Started on: 28-Oct-19, 16:46 »
I have for various reasons 6 C-Tek chargers (I have a lot of lead batteries that get used once a year), 4 of the smaller 3.5amp units and 2 of the much more expensive 25 amp chargers (about $350.00).  All 6 of them have failed in the warranty period.  The small units when connected to a battery just buzz or click or do nothing, still waiting for a response regarding warranty replacement for the latest one and the larger units heat up a battery to the point of boiling thus ruining the battery.  I am trying to work out a sequence to demonstrate this fault so as to make a warranty claim, both units do it.

Has anyone had any success with permanently connected chargers for car size batteries? These C-Tek things don't work, and they never came cheap.

"Young" Les F

jhovel

Re: C Tek battery chargers
« Reply #1 on: 28-Oct-19, 22:38 »
I have ½ dozen batter tenders from $5 (from China) to a $35 C-tek. One of them is. Dick Smith one that's now 30 years old.
The C-tek is the newest one and the only one that failed a few weeks ago ( just after the warranty)..... Go figure. I thought I was just unlucky....

Sent from my GOME 2017M27A using Tapatalk

Onetrack

« Reply #2 on: 31-Oct-19, 17:01 »
C tek has agreed to replace the latest failure. Just means that I delay the inevitable before finding a reliable alternative.

"Young Les F

bahn88

« Reply #3 on: 06-Nov-19, 19:44 »
Optimate might be the go-have versions that are OK for car batteries and lithium ion as well

Kathy

« Reply #4 on: 07-Nov-19, 09:50 »
We currently have eight CTek chargers (five XS 0.8 models used only for bikes, two MXS 3.8 models used for bikes and cars and one Lithium XS model used for lithium bike batteries) ranging in age from 2 years old to 15 years old and we've only ever had one fail (an early XS 0.8 model which we replaced).

Some of the XS 0.8 chargers have been left connected for up to 2-3 months at a time although we now tend to disconnect them once the batteries are charged.

CTek Motorcycle Battery Chargers

Onetrack

« Reply #5 on: 07-Nov-19, 12:47 »
The failure rate for this and a lot of other electrical equipment could be down to the second hand electricity we get, the nearest power house is more than 1,000ks away from here.  The need for robust design is paramount.
"Young" Les F

bahn88

« Reply #6 on: 08-Nov-19, 19:17 »
Partially...yes.

A charger will be as good as its weakest component-the smallest resistors/diodes they use and of course design.
The cheaper chargers probably source their components from china co.s with poorer quality control.

Having said that as was echoed in the forum one of my longest serving chargers was  a trickle Epicycle charger-.1Ahr....that stayed connected for4 -6 months at a time while overseas.

Electricity supply and power surges can affect electronics as you say-but I've had better electrical hardware survive storms and transformer failures

doddsy1000

« Reply #7 on: 08-Nov-19, 22:35 »
Have you ever thought of using a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to plug your chargers in to mate?

The cheaper,  the better in your case because you don't want an inverter type.   The old school battery backup is recommended for dirty power on computer servers. (Including solar power).

Regardless of battery backup benefit,  they'll smooth the power to your chargers.

bahn88

« Reply #8 on: 09-Nov-19, 08:10 »
Have you ever thought of using a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to plug your chargers in to mate?

The cheaper,  the better in your case because you don't want an inverter type.   The old school battery backup is recommended for dirty power on computer servers. (Including solar power).

Regardless of battery backup benefit,  they'll smooth the power to your chargers.
Would agree here-the $10-$20 dollar surge protectors from woolies don't do much-a decent UPS will give you 6 outlets and reasonable surge protection-I and others use these to protect MVB (mercury vapour bulbs cost $100 each) in reptile housings....

Onetrack

« Reply #9 on: 09-Nov-19, 17:13 »
I have managed to wreck 3 UPS units here of various brands!  One of the CTek chargers functions as a UPS as part of our Cyclone kit and drives a 10" TV and some LED lighting.  It works in conjunction with a 40 AH battery, this is the latest CTek to give up.  The TV is necessary for weather reports and cyclone warnings. Power outages after cyclones have lasted for up to 10 days and yes I do have a serious generator (6.5KVA water cooled Honda).
In my working life I fitted many UPS unis to telecommunications equipment, I never found one that lasted more than 2 years without total failure, most causing more problems than solutions caused by low voltage and slow change-over.

"Young" Les F

bahn88

« Reply #10 on: 09-Nov-19, 18:55 »
take ur point.

Battery chargers-I'd recommend Optimate-consider contacting tech-mate/moto-tech with your requirements/experience

https://www.moto-tech.com.au/optimate-4-desulphating-charger-maintainer-v3/

For UPS I've had good experience with EATON-(3S 700 among others ) but as I said-this was to protect MVB bulbs-and an additional unit to keep a 10-20w aquarium filter going on battery back up during power outage which were common here in summer (coastal town high summer power demand)

doddsy1000

« Reply #11 on: 11-Nov-19, 11:09 »
I tend to go for the cheap $100 UPS's Les & treat them as a disposable item.  Just pick one up at Officeworks & only plug one real current drawing device into each one.

2 years is about right for these.

If you went for Eaton or similar, at least you can replace the batteries easily & not expensively.  I doubt that it's much of a saving over replacing the cheap ones & you have to wait for a battery to arrive.

But they do smooth the power, not sure if they work very well underpowered though.

Actually getting any real length of battery benefit is rare, I'm only interested in enough time to do an orderly shut down of computer equipment & then a delay before they power back on to allow for surges & rapid mains power dropouts.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt