Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Wayne's cafe racer project  (Read 11617 times)

rat_ cx

Re: Wayne's cafe racer project
« Reply #75 on: 16-Jan-11, 21:02 »

It certainly got some attention parked out the front of the cafe, here's me holding audience with some fans and signing a few autographs  rolleye0012

yeh out of all the bikes i have owned, my cx gets the mst attention from people by far
Matbe we should get both yours and mine together and rely draw a crowd 2tongue

doddsy1000

« Reply #76 on: 16-Jan-11, 22:57 »
Arty's actually right  lmao

But that doesn't change that you've done a great job & quite quickly too.

Top stuff mate.  happy0158

Excalibre

« Reply #77 on: 17-Jan-11, 15:06 »
yeh out of all the bikes i have owned, my cx gets the mst attention from people by far
Matbe we should get both yours and mine together and rely draw a crowd 2tongue

That'd be a hoot, I might wait until mine's completely finished/painted though  2smiley

Arty0012

« Reply #78 on: 17-Jan-11, 16:21 »
GET YA FINGERS OUT AND GET TO sUTTON SO ALL CAN SEE

Enzo

« Reply #79 on: 17-Jan-11, 17:18 »
I think there's CX500 in there to Arty.  happy0062

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #80 on: 17-Jan-11, 18:42 »
really nice work - and nice to see it get the attention it deserves..

do the Custom sidecovers fit the shadows ??

rat_ cx

« Reply #81 on: 17-Jan-11, 19:33 »
mine was once a shadow and it has custom tank and side covers

Excalibre

« Reply #82 on: 17-Jan-11, 19:38 »
do the Custom sidecovers fit the shadows ??

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone  2smiley

Yes, the custom sidecovers fit straight onto the shadow with no modifications.
I'd even go so far as to say they fit better than the original shadow sidecovers as the rounder shape matches the curve in the frame.

Wayne

Staffy

« Reply #83 on: 29-Jun-11, 21:00 »
Any updates on this puppy?

8Track

« Reply #84 on: 30-Jun-11, 11:37 »
Hi Excalibre,

I've been meaning to ask - are you a mate of Andy Cox? I know him really well through music and he mentioned a friend of his was cafeing a CX. It sounded like it was your bike.

Regards,

Mark

Excalibre

« Reply #85 on: 30-Jun-11, 17:06 »
Any updates on this puppy?

Hi Staffy,

Alas, no updates.
I was riding it around for awhile but have let the rego lapse to motivate me to get the paint done. The theory being that if I couldn't ride it then I'd have to work on it.

Unfortunately other priorities have gotten in the way.

All that's really happened is that I've bought a KBS tank seal kit and given some thought to the paint scheme.
I was originally going to paint it black with some pinstriping but I'm now thinking of something more brash - possibly red with a chequered stripe? Afterall, cafe racers aren't really supposed to be subtle  2wink

I hope to do the paint myself but I'll have to get a regulater with a moisture filter and possibly a better spray gun first.

Cheers,
Wayne

Excalibre

« Reply #86 on: 30-Jun-11, 17:15 »
Hi Excalibre,

I've been meaning to ask - are you a mate of Andy Cox? I know him really well through music and he mentioned a friend of his was cafeing a CX. It sounded like it was your bike.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, Andy is a mate of mine. I met him through a mutual friend (and fellow bike nut) who plays guitar in Andy's band. We all get together whenever we can for bike-related shenanigans.

Cheers,
Wayne

Excalibre

« Reply #87 on: 24-Jan-12, 19:45 »
Hi all,

Just touching base.

I've had a bit of a crazy year and haven't really made any progress on the build. My shed-time has been limited for various reasons.
I also had a mishap on my Yamaha TRX 850  :crash: a couple of months ago so my bike finances and time have been redirected to getting that bike back on the road.

The good news is that I've bought a bigger air compressor and some spray painting equipment and hope to get some painting done on the CX in the near future.
No doubt I'll be picking your brains as I don't have much experience in that area.

I've been keeping an eye on the forum but apologise for my lack of input over the last year or so. Here's hoping for a more productive year in 2012!

All the best,
Wayne

Staffy

« Reply #88 on: 24-Jan-12, 20:25 »
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!  Glad to hear from you again.  Look forward to further progress.  happy0158

Excalibre

« Reply #89 on: 25-Feb-18, 22:14 »
Hi all,

Well here's a blast from the past!
I feel quite embarrassed posting this update. Life got in the way for a few years and the cafe build stalled. It's spent the last few years under a sheet in the back of the shed, seeing the light of day every few months for a start to circulate the oil etc.
I hope you'll forgive me and allow me back into the fold  :unsure:

The CX was hibernating but not forgotten!
The build is almost complete and I just have a few loose ends to tidy up. i.e. When the paint hardens a bit more I have some tank knee pads to stick on. I also have some new reverse cone mufflers to fit but will need some custom link pipes made up. I'll then wrap the headers.

Cheers,
Wayne

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

J.C.

« Reply #90 on: 25-Feb-18, 23:00 »
Looks good!

Rayman

« Reply #91 on: 26-Feb-18, 07:50 »
welcome back - goot to see shes nearly done -
still bet mine took longer ;)

https://www.australiancx.asn.au/forum/index.php?topic=14915.0

cheers
Rayman

Excalibre

« Reply #92 on: 04-Mar-18, 11:02 »
Well I've learnt some valuable lessons about patience and painting with acrylic paint.
I had planned to leave the painted parts cure for a week or so before cutting/polishing and fitting them to the bike. Then I re-read the clear coat instructions and they said leave overnight, cut/polish and good-to-go.
So impatience got the better of me, I attached the badges, knee pads, fuel cap and off I went for it's first ride.

Shockingly, the cheap eBay (hand made in India) fuel cap didn't seal properly so the first time I braked reasonably heavily, petrol sloshed onto the front of the tank. Some of it got caught in the slip stream, travelled under the tank and dribbled onto the side covers as well!

By the time I got home I realised it had stained the panels and damaged the surfaces. In my desperation to clean it off I managed to put some grooves in the still soft clear coat  Doh

Experience can be a harsh teacher sometimes.

I have managed to recover the situation for the most part and was able to reassemble it yesterday and go for a great ride.
The fuel cap had to be disassembled and beaten/bent into shape so it seals properly. I added a baffle too to stop petrol forcefully sloshing against the seal and that seams to have worked a treat.

The instructions also didn't say anything about waiting for a few weeks before waxing. Googling indicated that it shouldn't be waxed for 30-90 days depending on weather as the clear coat will produce gas until fully cured. If the surface is sealed by waxing, bubbles can form in the clear coat.

So what I've learned is:

1. Be patient
2. The day after painting, wet/dry sand, cut and polish. Don't wax!
3. Leave the parts in a safe place to cure/harden for a week or so - don't fiddle with them or attach anything that contacts the paint surface
4. Fit the parts but avoid exposure to chemicals (petrol) as the surface is not sealed and won't be fully cured.
5. After 30-90 days, re-polish and wax

Excalibre

« Reply #93 on: 21-Apr-18, 12:15 »
Hi all,

I did the electric fan conversion over the last couple of days. I used the obligatory Ducati fan but tried a different path for the switch.
My instrument cluster doesn't have a temperature gauge which got me thinking that maybe I could use the temp sender hole for the switch.
It turns out you can!
The Tridon Fan switch TFS174 has the same thread and turns on at 92 deg and off at 87 deg. It's a single wire switch which earths through the engine/frame.
Wiring was very simple with the +ve wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse, and the -ve plugged into the fan switch.

Here it is next to the original temp sender

It comes with an O-ring but I used a couple of fibre washes to give it a little clearance (it felt like it may be bottoming out in the last .5 mm) and a more positive seal.

Mounting the fan itself was rather straight forward. It's mounted in the centre of the frame, about 15 mm higher than the original fan to give a bit of extra clearance with the cut off cam shaft end.

I took the opportunity to tidy up the radiator with some engine paint. It came up well after baking it in the oven at 80 deg for an hour to speed up the curing process. I elected to leave off the original fan shroud

The fan and switch are working great!

Excalibre

« Reply #94 on: 26-Dec-18, 19:06 »
A bit more progress:

- Successful triple bypass (thanks to J.C. for his assistance). I took the opportunity to replace all the front/rear case seals and o-rings while I was in there.
- Motor repainted and spruced up with some stainless bolts.
- Reverse cone mufflers with custom link pipes made by Redline Exhaust, titanium wrap. It was was crazy loud so I've since made some simple baffles.
- Progressive fork springs and new generic rear shocks
- New foot pegs. I wanted some with rubber tops that were less bulky than the originals. These are for a Yamaha FZ1 and fit with very little modification. There's a bit more messing around if you want them to be able to flip up but it can all be done with a vice, file and some patience.

I'm very happy with how it feels on the road and it's performance, plus no more coolant leak :)

Cheers

https://i.ibb.co/BLjwVWZ/20181109-151433-Medium.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/R0f3YGc/20181117-105737-Medium.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/mT9CgcR/20181117-092547-Medium.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/SwVKtS2/20181205-114603-Medium.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Z6nZzSR/20181210-161158-Medium.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CB0zhTs/20181210-161250-Medium.jpg

doddsy1000

« Reply #95 on: 31-Dec-18, 18:23 »
Is that really an engine in the BBQ?

lmao lmao lmao

Seagrass

« Reply #96 on: 31-Dec-18, 22:42 »
Is that really an engine in the BBQ?

lmao lmao lmao

Ian it looks like it is curing the paint on the rear engine cover.

Obviously SWMBO was home so the kitchen oven could not be used. Hopefully the parts were put through the dishwasher first so they were nice and clean before painting rolleye0012

Seagrass

Excalibre

« Reply #97 on: 01-Jan-19, 12:12 »
Yes it is  :2afro:
I usually sneak painted engine parts into the oven but the engine cover was too big. Necessity is the mother of invention so the BBQ was commissioned for the task. It was a bit of trial and error to get the temperature dialled in.
Mrs Excalibre was very pleased at this turn of events as it does make the house a bit stinky if done in the oven.

I wish I'd thought to use the dishwasher for surface prep though!

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt