Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Honda CX500 & CX650 Reference Guide - Australian Models (V12 ~ 21-Feb-18)  (Read 13340 times)

Damo

Maybe a little addition for thr cx500s list.
I am pretty sure the tacho changed from showing up to12000rpm to showing up to 10500 rpm. I know the 82s have the 10500 and i think the 80s and earlier 12000. dont know about the 81s.

Cheers
Damian

Rayman

also -
i seem to have both metal and plastic fans for cx500 engines -
i think the metal is a later addition maybe with the B ?

Anyone know for sure, and this should be added to the document - as i dont recall seing it there ?

Regards
Rayman

Seagrass

Looks like we are not going to have the result I was expecting with "paint recipes"

The Honda paint codes have been given to the South African paint company (Hi-Chem/Motospray) and they are going to search through their database of known paints and then update the global paint database for all their distributors/sellers worldwide.

I do not think this will allow us to access the "paint recipes" though it should mean that if we buy paint from a company who uses Hi-Chem/Motospray paint, we can simply quote the Honda paint code from Kathy's list and they should be able to supply us with the correct paint.

The company I have been dealing with is KGP in Emu Plains, west of Sydney. Their phone number is 02 4735 6777. I have been dealing with Rick Toohill.

I now have the "paint recipe" for Monza Red Honda code R110 (from the CX500-EC sports). It is an "eye match" by Rick who is an experienced spray painter. If you want the recipe let me know.

Seagrass

shark

CX650E 1983 also had a Silver/grey with Blue panels that had a 3mm Red pinstrip around the Blue panels.

jhovel

Kathy, given the recent interest and my confusion with naming, would you be able to add the details of the "other" 673cc CX derivatives to the Reference Guide? At least the ones you can off the top of your head?   2wink
...just to make the list as complete as possible....
Joe

Kathy

Hi Joe,

I might actually start a separate list for the grey imports and then everyone here can contribute what they know.

Apart from the fact that it's much harder for me to get the information for the grey imports I'd also rather keep the Australian models separate so as to reduce the risk of confusion when people are reading the lists - there were so many variations even in the 'same' models that went to the different markets around the world!!

Kathy

jhovel

Sounds fair, Kathy. I look forward to it. happy0062

Kathy

Hi Folks,

Bump - I've updated this document again!!

Kathy

Seagrass

Thanks Kathy  happy0159

Seagrass

Rayman

Kathy -
would it be possible to add the mech seal diameter information (at least as it was) to the models - might help some people

Rayman

Kathy

Hi Rayman,

I've updated the document to include the information about the mechanical seal aperture size.

I've also included the information about the change in the maximum RPM for the tachos that Damo identified (thanks Damo!!).  

I've confirmed that my 1980 model has a tacho with maximum of 12,000 RPM and that Ron's 1982 model has a tacho with a maximum of 10,500 RPM.  I'd be very interested to find out what the maximum RPM on the tacho is for all the other models - especially the 500/650 Sports/Turbo models.

Kathy

Rayman

cxichy

650 euro tacho is redlined at 9000rpm, and although there are no higher rpm figures on the dial, the max range seems to be 10000rpm.

quicksilver

Thanks for the info Kathy. I will certainly save it to my computer to supliment my other info. Thanks again.
                                                                                                                                    Ken

cxichy

I'd be very interested to find out what the maximum RPM on the tacho is for all the other models - especially the 500/650 Sports/Turbo models.

CX650 euro tacho pics.

https://australiancx.asn.au/gallery/albums/userpics/cx650TachoClear%7E0.jpg

https://australiancx.asn.au/gallery/albums/userpics/cx650TachoAllFace.jpg

jodo kast

thank you so much will come in so handy now as i need some parts

brad

VladTepes

Dr Don has noted that the following corrections are required:

Kathy,
If you have access to the specification pages, or their editor, you might ask for the following changes to be made.
CX500CC - the disc rotors are NOT slotted.

CX500EC - the disc rotors are NOT slotted, front or back,
               - TRAC anti-dive is on the LEFT fork only.

CX500TC (turbo) - the front tyre is an 18" - NOT 19".
                           - it has NOT got a vacuum fuel tap (what a silly statement, when the inlet 
                 manifold pressure goes up to "positive" 18 PSI).  You would be VERY short of fuel
                 when you went onto boost.   The tap is ON/OFF only - no reserve.
                           - there is no mention of the Orange colour for the decals on the fairing, fuel
                 tank, sidecovers or duck-tail.

I haven't looked closely at other models yet, and I don't have bikes to compare the hardware with the written word.

Don.   

Shorty

Hi all,
          Just to confuse the issue my CX500 Shadow has frame # CX500 2402490, Man Date 4/83,
  Eng # PC02E 4010186, Auto Cam Chain adjuster, 37mm front forks, 240mm Twin solid disc
  front brakes, dual piston calipers, 3 bolt drive, 100/90-19 front and 120/90-18 rear tyres. It also has
dual shock rear.
  I recently bought 2 coolant reservoirs from dbjac and when I tried to fit 1 the mounting lugs were in wrong
  place and because of the housing on rear of engine the eng mount bolts were 25mm out.
   Have I got a bitza or not. Also were can I get an original coolant reservoir to fit if this is original
  engine for this frame.  2idiot 2idiot

CX PHREAK

Your bike is TI ignition. The coolant overflows are for a CDI bike?

Not sure about the PCO2 engine number - euro? but it's the same as what would have originally been fitted.

Seagrass

Your bike is TI ignition. The coolant overflows are for a CDI bike?

Not sure about the PCO2 engine number - euro? but it's the same as what would have originally been fitted.

CXPhreak is correct.

You have a 1982 Shadow frame which came standard with a Transitor Assisted Ignition (TAI). The engine you have is from the 1982 Euro (PC02E) which is effectively the same engine anyway.

You will need to get a coolant bottle from a 1982 Shadow (not sure if the Euro will fit as you have a Shadow frame but they may be the same bottle)

I think these are the hardest coolant bottle to find as they were unique to the TAI engine which was only made for one year.

Seagrass

Kathy

If you look at the photos in the following link you'll be able to see the differences between the coolant reservoir bottles used for the CDI and TAI models: Coolant Reservoir Bottle for CDI and TAI models

Kathy

Dr Don has noted that the following corrections are required:

Kathy,
If you have access to the specification pages, or their editor, you might ask for the following changes to be made.
CX500CC - the disc rotors are NOT slotted.

CX500EC - the disc rotors are NOT slotted, front or back,
               - TRAC anti-dive is on the LEFT fork only.

CX500TC (turbo) - the front tyre is an 18" - NOT 19".
                           - it has NOT got a vacuum fuel tap (what a silly statement, when the inlet 
                 manifold pressure goes up to "positive" 18 PSI).  You would be VERY short of fuel
                 when you went onto boost.   The tap is ON/OFF only - no reserve.
                           - there is no mention of the Orange colour for the decals on the fairing, fuel
                 tank, sidecovers or duck-tail.

I haven't looked closely at other models yet, and I don't have bikes to compare the hardware with the written word.

Don.   

Changes made and new version uploaded/attached.

Kathy

I started doing some work on my son's 1982 Honda CX500 Shadow this morning because he wants to sell it but, as it's been sitting for almost 10 years, it needs a few things sorted out.

First up it's getting some new tyres (ironically the rear tyre has only done about 1,000kms since it was fitted but it's too old to be safe) and when I went to remove the front axle I noticed there was no split pin in the axle nut.  Then I noticed the axle nut wasn't a castellated nut and then, after I removed the nut, I noticed the axle didn't even have a hole for a split pin!  (On my 1980 CX500 Shadow the front axle has a split pin, castellated nut and, obviously, a hole in the axle for the split pin.)

And so it goes - even after all these years I still come across differences between the various models ...

Updates made and new version uploaded/attached.

Willy

I'm sure Don would buy it happy0158 :grandpa:

roghor

Thank you Kathy for an excellent reference guide V13. I could never figure out what my model was. I now it to be a 1982 CX 500C. 24 engine number. My bike differs slightly from your chart in that the carbs are VB 36A  H  and the master cylinder has 4 screws. The bike came from WA, maybe hence the difference?

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt