Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 294416 times)

Staffy

What's happening today?
« Started on: 17-Jul-11, 11:22 »
Just a little thread to post up what you plan to do or have been doing today related to your CX's or GL's.

Going for or went for a ride?   fietsertour Fixed a nagging issue with the bike?   cool0010 Routine maintanence?  2rolleyes  A bit of DIY?  whackado

Put up some pics if you've got 'em.

To kick it off:

Today I'm getting back out to the shed for the first time in ages.  I've had some LED's and resistors for a while with the intention of making an idiot light cluster for the 500.  I've also got an old galvanised sheet steel box that'll be sacrificed for the mounting plate which will be mounted using the windscreens screws under the fairing.  Should be a fun DIY day. 

lozwho

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #1 on: 17-Jul-11, 11:59 »
I'm up to my elbows in the 500 I got from Adelaide a few weeks back;Fitted new Harley mufflers last week, now servicing (oil, filters, tappets, cam chain adjust, new plugs,change coolant - been in there since 1997! - new brake pistons and pads, new grips, mirrors, rear shocks .... happy as a pig in "£$%.... happy0007

Onetrack

« Reply #2 on: 17-Jul-11, 12:17 »
Took my little Hondas for a walk today, 35cc brush cutter and 175cc lawn mower.   Will take my 673cc to Kuranda to-morrow and then continue to make the gear locking tool using and old 500 engine case prior to opening up my No.1 engine to replace the camchain.

"Young" Les F

Seagrass

« Reply #3 on: 17-Jul-11, 12:23 »
Hoping to pick up my CX500 Euro parts bike from a friends shed today so I can remove some parts that members need to get their bikes back on the road and then pull it down over the next few weeks for the rest of the parts to be sold  happy0158

Seagrass

Steve

« Reply #4 on: 17-Jul-11, 12:26 »
...unpacking more crap after the move... then, if baby goes to sleep, and mrs gets out of the bath, I need to adjust my rear brake: bike sat idle for nearly two weeks during this bloody last-minute house move, when I jumped on to run a few errands and bring her over here, the back was very soft, has a lot of free movement and feels like it goes to the end of its travel.  Hopefully a quick little adjust will set it straight.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: 17-Jul-11, 12:27 »
Hoping to pick up my CX500 Euro parts bike from a friends shed today so I can remove some parts that members need to get their bikes back on the road and then pull it down over the next few weeks for the rest of the parts to be sold  happy0158

Seagrass

If an in-tact H-box turns up (that'll fit an 80/81A) let me know!   Prayer

Kathy

« Reply #6 on: 17-Jul-11, 12:37 »
Once it's warmed up a bit more here I'm off to the garage to replace the heads on my CX500 - I put some reco'd head on a few months ago and sent mine off to be cleaned up and have new valve stem seals fitted.

I had originally intended to leave the reco'd heads on but they are from a '78 model (which had the breather opening from each head) and I'd prefer to have the heads for an '80 model fitted to my bike.

Given how much work it was to remove the original heads (they'd not been off since the bike left the factory in 1980) I figure it'll be easier to get them (and any residual headgasket material) off now given that I've only done about 1,000km since they were fitted.

Here's a pic from the day I originally replace the heads (with the help of Ron and a friend).

Staffy

« Reply #7 on: 17-Jul-11, 13:51 »
Wow, busy sunday for everyone.  Just stopped for lunch and after a bit of mucking about have most of my idiot lights wired up.  Now i need to heatshrink 'em and put em into a plug.  The tricky bit will be tracing the wiring diagram to figur out what patches where into the original idiot lights.

RoddQLD

« Reply #8 on: 17-Jul-11, 14:59 »
I'm meant to be working today, but the rain of the last few days has shut down sugar crushing.
So, after reading these posts it sounds like I should be taking the head off the GL and fixing that rascally head gasket.
Then there's work to be done on the bike trailer project (bought a trailer to be towed by the ST from the guy I bought the ST off).

I'm thinking that I should remove the collector box of the GL so I can draw up a template. Once we have dimensions it woill be easier to fabricate 'collector box' replacements. Been meaning to do this for a while.. just enjoyed riding it too much.. :D

BUFF7454

« Reply #9 on: 17-Jul-11, 15:27 »
Well I just picked up a corker freeby Cx.Blue 79 Shadow.Paint is really good as is seat(Not a scratch or mark on it anywhere).Just needs a Polish on,polish off.Tyres 99% tread although old.Been in shed for 10 years.Has nice fairing.He was riding it after having  spent $1500 on it and it stopped so he put it in the shed.Definitely a tidy up and then sneak it into the back of the shed so SWMBO does not get ideas.

Mins Man

« Reply #10 on: 17-Jul-11, 16:39 »
I spent the afternoon putting my GL back together but unfortunately it's running like a hairy goat.
I think it's fuel related as it will only run for a while with the choke fully on.
Oh, and just a question for Steve, did you need your Missus or the bath to adjust your brakes?

Rayman

« Reply #11 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:13 »
umm -
fixing 8tracks computer ...

yesterday - did some work with the elctric knife, some foam, adhesive and the air powered staple gun (had to go out and get one)
made up a seat for no 2.

drilled and tapped for a petcock solution to be fitted.

today - been out and about a lots as well,
fitted edge stripping for tank, checked petcock fitting, got 8 track to test seat.
shortly make up seat retaining mechanism

Not a lot but a busy weekend with family stuff

Rayman

rooray

« Reply #12 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:26 »
Been cleaning out my parts shelves to decide what I really need, surprising how much I have bought on ebay and never needed

ACE

« Reply #13 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:34 »
and..like Steve..more unpacking today and a bit of an explore round the garden of the new house in the sunshine. Shed/workshop is getting organised slowly...got quotes for wiring up the workshop, should be done in a few weeks. Then quotes for concrete driveway in front of workshop too...busy busy..and back to work tomorrow...
ACE

Onetrack

« Reply #14 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:45 »
.....today and a bit of an explore round the garden of the new house in the sunshine.
ACE

Did not know you moved to Queensland ACE. Sunshine indeed.

"Young" Les F

Seagrass

« Reply #15 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:48 »
Hoping to pick up my CX500 Euro parts bike from a friends shed today so I can remove some parts that members need to get their bikes back on the road and then pull it down over the next few weeks for the rest of the parts to be sold  happy0158

Seagrass

Parts bike now at my place, now I just need to find time to start stripping parts that are needed happy0159

Seagrass

CX PHREAK

« Reply #16 on: 17-Jul-11, 17:58 »
 Some work on Staffos carbs [it's mostly soaking at this point]. And some running around looking for the right blowdown gun and tube to make a soda blaster as Staffos carbs are a bit stained and I want to avoid polishing the bodies just to get them clean.
  Got the gun, but not the tube.
 And some ongoing polishing.    rolleye0012

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #17 on: 17-Jul-11, 18:15 »
went for a ride down the M4 after fuelling up - and decided to go to my daughters at Mt Druitt, took the first exit off the M4 and found myself heading up the M7 - (was supposed to take the second exit)...through the toll towers, no e-tag so should get a nice little surprise in the mail shortly....

turned off the M7 3 k's up the road and had a cup of coffee and a lovely blueberry/white chocolate muffin at my daughters then headed home....

proposed son-in-law of second daughter - will add my bike rego to his e-tag tomorrow - no little surprise to come now...and I can go on any toll road - then forget to pay him.....for a while anyway......

bike is running very nicely - although it always has since the new stator was put in, and the new mechanical seal..

Fumph

« Reply #18 on: 17-Jul-11, 20:09 »
Went for a ride to look at a 1950s British bike for sale. Was such a great day for riding took a tour on the way back home. Got the CX up to155kph and rising........on a clear road .........wondered why I would bother to swop my CX for a dull old British plodder............

DocGreen

« Reply #19 on: 17-Jul-11, 22:09 »
Well it's good to see the Beavers are still beavering. (It's a new word, ACE).
Today for the GL project I striped the frame in the electro-clean tank then into the acid tank to remove the surface rust, it's now in the heat treatment oven for 5 hours to de-enbrittle the steel. Assembled the re-con heads.
Polished the rocker covers and radiator shrouds. Repaired the brake pedal and the gear lever. Went shopping on evilbay for unobtainum.
Going to have to tell the boss tomorrow, that I am to busy doing my own projects to work for him. (Good idea---Yep)

roddy1

« Reply #20 on: 18-Jul-11, 00:36 »
Hi guys I rode my gl700 round to my son in law's place this morning to work on the 1951 ariel and sidecar that we got over from NSW and my cam chain was rattlling louder than a handful of ghosts in the house of horrors,so I am going to have to take the engine out and do what will be nesessary. As I dont know what will be needed I will be seeking advice.
By reading all the posts on this forum I have learned a hell of a lot about the cx/gl but I think I'll learn a lot more yet.
Cheers   
Brian happy0159

Staffy

« Reply #21 on: 18-Jul-11, 08:24 »
Gonna weld up myself a stool for the shed as I'd rather sit than stand for long periods at the bench.

Rayman

« Reply #22 on: 18-Jul-11, 08:59 »
work

Rayman

Onetrack

« Reply #23 on: 18-Jul-11, 09:56 »
Got 20 stack chairs to repair for our local community hall, how do I get sucked into these side tracks, I have a CX to repair.  2knuckle
'
"Young" Les F

RoddQLD

« Reply #24 on: 18-Jul-11, 10:14 »
A bit of work on the motorbike trailer project. Fit hitch to the ST. More work on the GL headgasket.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle