Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 310892 times)

J.C.

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8550 on: 27-Jul-19, 07:35 »
Good luck! Some nice back roads out that way.

Mins Man

« Reply #8551 on: 27-Jul-19, 11:25 »
I was having some trouble starting my 500C this week as it hasn't been started since the VJMC rally in May. While it seemed to be cranking pretty well, I thought it wouldn't hurt to put it on the trickle charger and 4 hours of charge made all the difference....started first go.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8552 on: 27-Jul-19, 11:34 »
Hi Harry,

The old saying is correct - if you don't use it you lose it... lmao

In this case your sparkkkkkk    lol

You're welcome.

Seagrass

« Reply #8553 on: 27-Jul-19, 19:31 »
The Macquarie Towns rally is on this weekend and I registered for the rally and decided to take the CX500 Turbo.

Well the Turbo had other ideas and as I was moving it out of the garage (where it has been sleeping since it’s last club rego inspection sometime in March this year) I heard a strange noise (a bit like a native duck quacking). After double checking it was coming from the bike and not somewhere else I decided it was probably one of the front brake pads binding.

I decided to head off for the rally (about 8am and around 5 degrees Celsius) only to hear the noise again (much louder this time) as I was slowing for a stop sign at the end of my street.

I turned left and went down the road about 800 meters before pulling up to check if all was OK. A quick check of the two front disc rotors revealed the left hand side was much much hotter than the right hand side.

The decision was quickly made to return home and get the NT700 Deauville before again heading off for the rally start point.

It was a very pleasant day of riding covering around 180Km’s (with the obligatory rally morning tea and lunch stop thrown in) before returning home around 2:45pm.

That gave me just enough time to clean the NT700 (had not been properly cleaned since a weekend trip away sometime in March) and wash my car before heading off to set up the data projector for the rally dinner.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8554 on: 29-Jul-19, 12:43 »
Glad the rally was a success Seagrass.

Pity the Turbo didn't want to play.

Rode to Canberra yesterday on the Turbo - and had a few irritating issues.

First off there was one problem of the bike stuttering and coughing for a few seconds - then the bike cleared its throat and didn't happen again. Unsure if it was electrical or fuel related - but it did the same thing a few times when attempting the VJMC in Gold Coast earlier this year.

Second and main issue was the new "Sook" mits I installed recently. They do protect your bare hands from lots of wind, and cold weather, but you cannot really even put a pair of summer gloves on to soften the hand feel on the bars - not enough room through the fluffy lining. When you install these they actually tie up past the handle bar grip and nearer the front brake master cylinder. I overtook a car - went to pull back in and the movement of my hands and or mit - then seemed to hit the KILL switch - immediate loss of power and a car then attempting to push me up the road. Pulled off to the shoulder - took me a minute or two to work out what had happened. It happened again 10 minutes later - so I then adjusted the mit so it was not covering the kill switch - which made it more draughtier on the fingers.

Overall a nice trip to the nations capital - and I managed to hit 140km/h at one stretch according to my GPS app - but I didn't mean to.

Speedo is not flying wildly about but still swinging roughly in the 10km range when travelling and I cannot hear any noise coming from it, so the lubrication may have worked.

Cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #8555 on: 29-Jul-19, 14:44 »
I actually tried some heated gloves yesterday.

They are awesome  :2afro:

I got the ones that are wired through my jacket to the battery instead of the ones with their own battery pack.

An hour & 1/2 later, I still had comfortable hands & no change of them going flat.

Of course, I needed to get the wiring tucked away better after that test ride, but a few "Kilt" pins did that easily.  :grandpa:

Onetrack

« Reply #8556 on: 29-Jul-19, 17:02 »
Hi Charles,
 I have used handle bar muffs for decades since that days of the Alpine Rally with none of the difficulties you describe, even here in the tropics I still use them as I have never found any gloves that fit me and allow easy access to the switch controls.  Riding no gloves here leads to skin cancers.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Scooter-Quad-Bike-Handlebar-Hand-Muffs-Over-Gloves-Winter-Warmers/292238312661?hash=item440ac2c4d5:g:VYsAAMXQvEtQ4Dul . You get what you pay for although these ones fade in the sun.
"Young" Les F

Mins Man

« Reply #8557 on: 30-Jul-19, 18:34 »
Hand muffs in Cairns!  lmao  2funny  lmao  happy0194

Onetrack

« Reply #8558 on: 30-Jul-19, 18:47 »
In Cairns for the sun protection, on the Atherton Tablelands, where there is often a frost at this time of year they are a good thing.
"Young" Les F

doddsy1000

« Reply #8559 on: 30-Jul-19, 22:26 »
You do know what frost actually is Les?

I think there's a twin for you that runs around bragging about weather.  lmao lmao lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #8560 on: 31-Jul-19, 07:15 »
You do know what frost actually is Les?

I think there's a twin for you that runs around bragging about weather.  lmao lmao lmao

Have I ever mentioned that it is frequently warm enough here when for the rest of you conditions are freezing?
I was born at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains and did ride many times in the snow both there and in the Snowy Mountains, yes I do know frost and rejoice that it does not happen here, but at nearby Atherton at 1,000 meters it is another story...........

"Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8561 on: 31-Jul-19, 07:47 »
Don't let those Mexicans get under your skin Les,

They have the biggest wooden spoons for ***** stirring... because their weather is *****e.

lmao

Seagrass

« Reply #8562 on: 31-Jul-19, 17:46 »
Had some time at home today so I decided I should get started on the front brakes on the Turbo.

It all came apart quite easily and I thought I should also replace the fork oil as I have never done that in the ten or so years of ownership. Of course one of the drain screw holes needed to be helicoiled as it was stripped so that added some extra work to the job.

I also had to order 4 new “pin” seals which should be at my local Honda dealer within a few days and I will also need another litre of 15W fork oil as I need 600 mils and I only have about 400 mils on hand.

I did not actually get to the brake caliper seals today but I am now at the point that they are next on the list.

Always fun looking after machinery that is nearly 40 years old.

Seagrass

doddsy1000

« Reply #8563 on: 31-Jul-19, 18:52 »
Of course one of the drain screw holes needed to be helicoiled as it was stripped

Would you refresh my memory on these?  Did they have a separate screw as a drain?  I sort of remember that maybe as below the anti dive.

I was using the hex screw holding the fork chrome stanchion (if that's right) above the axle when I did mine, but did the seals at the same time on a bench.  :grandpa:

And of course, putting the axle back in the wrong way around gave me heaps of headaches going to Canberra afterwards.  2cry 2cry

Seagrass

« Reply #8564 on: 31-Jul-19, 20:05 »
Of course one of the drain screw holes needed to be helicoiled as it was stripped

Would you refresh my memory on these?  Did they have a separate screw as a drain?  I sort of remember that maybe as below the anti dive.

I was using the hex screw holding the fork chrome stanchion (if that's right) above the axle when I did mine, but did the seals at the same time on a bench.  :grandpa:

And of course, putting the axle back in the wrong way around gave me heaps of headaches going to Canberra afterwards.  2cry 2cry

Correct Ian. The drain screw is on the lower part of the anti-dive module. It is the only bolt with a 10mm head on the module. I am guessing that the last person to remove the drain screw was a little too heavy handed when they put it back in.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8565 on: 01-Aug-19, 08:17 »
Seagrass,

They are an absolute pain to dismantle- are you removing the forks individually and refilling from the top. Are you going to flush them out?

What are the PIN seals - they the small flat round circlip thingies that hold in the anti-dive rubbers??

That pump I bough for the rear shock is hopeless - when you undo it from the valve it lets ALL the air out   lol.

Cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #8566 on: 01-Aug-19, 08:36 »
I think they are all a pain to dismantle Charlie, but forks do a multi function job so we're stuck with that.  :grandpa:

The 500T is pretty much the same as my CB900 except for a few mm in diameter (CB900 is 39mm & 500T is 37mm).  And the axle can only go in one way  :well: :well:

The 500 Euro (The Wasp!) was similar & the same diameter as the 500T, but without the anti dive & I don't remember ever seeing a drain hole.

It was the hex screw in the axle holder or nothing on that one.

The guys on Facebook  (mostly Europe) are moving to the Hagon shock for the back mono shock.

After 40 years, that's a good plan, I think.   :2afro:

Mins Man

« Reply #8567 on: 01-Aug-19, 10:12 »
I found this interesting ad on the Interweb today. I really love my Posties, but I'm wondering whether the seller is trying to tell us something with the pics of it with the donkeys.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-honda-ct90-trail-90/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-07-31

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8568 on: 01-Aug-19, 14:09 »
Problem,

Just found this last night.

Pull the brake lever - or push rear brake pedal - and with no parking lights or headlight switched on - the dash lights light up ?

As soon as I release either the front or rear brake the dash lights go out

any ideas???

thanks

Onetrack

« Reply #8569 on: 01-Aug-19, 16:33 »
I guess it would help you find the bike in the dark. lmao
"Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8570 on: 01-Aug-19, 16:49 »
Les,

I don't think it will help me find the bike in the dark. I have an alarm for that - and it flashes the blinkers when I arm or disarm it.

But thanks for the thought.

Cheers

Mins Man

« Reply #8571 on: 01-Aug-19, 17:00 »
I guess it would help you find the bike in the dark. lmao
"Young" Les F

Good one Les.  happy0158
Perhaps you could help me with my little problem. I've owned my 500C for about 10 years now and I've decided that it might be time for a new set of plugs. Trouble is they are very firmly stuck in their holes. I've sprayed some lizard urine down the holes, but my mower spark plug socket isn't doing anything and I don't have anything else that fits.
I'm looking for ideas....even from Charlie.

Onetrack

« Reply #8572 on: 01-Aug-19, 18:46 »

Good one Les.  happy0158
Perhaps you could help me with my little problem. I've owned my 500C for about 10 years now and I've decided that it might be time for a new set of plugs. Trouble is they are very firmly stuck in their holes. I've sprayed some lizard urine down the holes, but my mower spark plug socket isn't doing anything and I don't have anything else that fits.
I'm looking for ideas....even from Charlie.

Sounds like a double head transplant will fix it.

"Young" Les F

Mins Man

« Reply #8573 on: 01-Aug-19, 20:56 »
Very helpful as usual, Les.   happy0062

doddsy1000

« Reply #8574 on: 01-Aug-19, 21:46 »
You need a cordless rattle gun with an 18mm socket (I Think) Harry.

The rattle is fundamentally more gentle than you would be with a long arm socket wrench.

Supercheap Auto sold me my 3/8 th socket set a few years ago.  The only one I found with an 18mm socket & they are longer than normal too (which helps).

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle