Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 272264 times)

fab

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8075 on: 23-Apr-18, 11:22 »
awesome work mate happy0159

muzza

« Reply #8076 on: 23-Apr-18, 14:35 »
Spoke with Joe Hovel last evening - we will meet up for  spot of motorcycling on wednesday, weather permitting , sine joe and mrs Joe are only an hour away at present.

jhovel

« Reply #8077 on: 23-Apr-18, 19:32 »
Spent the last couple of evenings training on the gasket cutter... did my first run tonight:
(yes, a couple of the bolt holes aren't punched out yet) The little camshaft holder gaskets fit neatly in the available space around the other ones, but I can see that I am going to have rather a surplus of those if I keep this up...

It's rather satisfying finally getting it all right and watching the gaskets appear before your eyes. Less so the many hours of practice before that which resulted in bags of shredded material  cool0010

I should be able to put together some decent gasket kits at this rate!
Brilliant Jim! Did you have to do CAD drawings of all the gaskets?

J.C.

« Reply #8078 on: 23-Apr-18, 21:07 »
Basically, yeah. Had to make them vectorised files in a format that the machine recognised which took a bit of fiddling to get right and make sure that the size was an exact match and not a 9/10ths copy etc.

I have all of the CX gaskets on file now, except for anything Turbo... now I need to find the shape of the shim that goes on the 650E’s rotors, I always wanted to make one of those. Anyone got a gasket set for another make/model they want some gaskets for?

Spent the last couple of evenings training on the gasket cutter... did my first run tonight:
(yes, a couple of the bolt holes aren't punched out yet) The little camshaft holder gaskets fit neatly in the available space around the other ones, but I can see that I am going to have rather a surplus of those if I keep this up...

It's rather satisfying finally getting it all right and watching the gaskets appear before your eyes. Less so the many hours of practice before that which resulted in bags of shredded material  cool0010

I should be able to put together some decent gasket kits at this rate!
Brilliant Jim! Did you have to do CAD drawings of all the gaskets?

Seagrass

« Reply #8079 on: 26-Apr-18, 15:41 »
Left home around 7am this morning to make a return trip to Goulburn. The plan was to drop my NT700 Deauville seat off at MJM to have it customised.

Kathy had offered to meet me at MJM (she was on her way to Sydney) and lend me her NT700 seat for my return trip home as my seat will not be ready for about three weeks.

As it turned out Kathy and I took the opportunity to catch up over a cuppa at a local cafe before we both headed off again.

It was quite enjoyable catching up with Kathy and being on the NT700 for the day, must try to do it a bit more often.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8080 on: 26-Apr-18, 18:46 »
Nice one,

Hope the weather was not too bad in Sydney today - Gosford has been really overcast and threatening - and might get wet in the next day or two.

cheers

jhovel

« Reply #8081 on: 26-Apr-18, 19:47 »
Spoke with Joe Hovel last evening - we will meet up for  spot of motorcycling on wednesday, weather permitting , sine joe and mrs Joe are only an hour away at present.
Well, a day late and no photos...
Muzza loaned me a bike (GL650) and riding gear and we went for a little burn around the country side of Eltham, NZ.
Spent a great afternoon with him and his wife. Thanks to you both!

Cheers, Joe

muzza

« Reply #8082 on: 27-Apr-18, 04:15 »
Yes - unfortunately we spent most of the afternoon deep in discussion on a huge range of subjects , not many motorcycle related , but we did go for a wee ride around the foothills of Mt Egmont before it got too cold .

I let Joe ride the 650 Custom because there arent many of those around in NZ or Aussie.

Come back on your way homewards and you can run off for a proper ride ;-)

Rustynail

« Reply #8083 on: 01-May-18, 16:55 »
Just trying to sort out some electrical problems on my 1981 Shadow, I have seen some earlier discussions about the inaccuracy of the various wiring diagrams around. My bike certainly doesn't match any of the versions in the Haynes Manual, it does seem to correspond to the one Kathy put up on this site (thanks Kathy).

I dont really like to give up on these things, but I've now got a blown main fuse so looking for an auto-electrician who is prepared to have a look at old m'cycles. In earlier postings on this Forum, Ace Auto electrics in Wantirna received a good review, but the owner/ operator is not working due to ill-health.

Can anybody recommend an alternate auto-electrician in eastern suburbs of Melbourne (preferably) or in Melbourne anywhere?

Thanks

Paul aka Rustynail

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8084 on: 05-May-18, 15:56 »
Rode  back from Gosford this morning,

Very cruisy ride - minimal traffic this morning - glad I have now changed to my winter jacket as you can start to feel the slight chill. Valkyrie is performing flawlessly and getting good mileage results on the trips up and back.

Will need to replace the rear tyre shortly and thinking of going "dark side", plus if it doesn't work it won't be an ultra expensive exercise to put a normal tyre back on.

Been out to the doctor and chemist - stocked up on my tablets - so set for another few weeks, got the flu shot vaccine, picked up a new upright freezer - forcing me to do an annual trolley pump up tyres check...both flat   lol

Back to Gosford tomorrow afternoon for another few weeks - then finagled a day off at the end of the month - woo hoo - then will be back to Gosford for another fortnight until 8th June.

Enjoy the ride   - cheers

Charlie    2angel

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8085 on: 10-May-18, 10:51 »
New rear tyre this morning - seems to ride ok.

Took a few photos of the tyre on the bike-will post them up in a few days

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8086 on: 12-May-18, 13:26 »
Here is one of the photos -

This is the one that probably looks the best...

Tyre size is 205/55/R16

Rode home this morning - and while a bit of a different feel it definitely is quieter on the highway than the old tyre.

Cornering is similar - but you need to continue counter steering as the bike will try to sit up, no additional effort required just held and applied for a longer period. Certainly has plenty of grip - but not pushing any limits here either. Tyre tends to follow road imperfections a bit more noticeably, but easy enough to get it in line when you know whats going to happen.

Overall first impressions are I am quietly smiling... more to come in a few thousand k's.

Cheers

Mins Man

« Reply #8087 on: 13-May-18, 10:24 »
Geez Charlie, I always thought you had a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock (which is why you work for the government) but you've attained a new level of knuckleheadedness with this effort. Bike tyres are designed specifically for bikes, so why would you risk your neck putting a car tyre on your bike?
Has your Missus OK'd this? Who's going to pay for her holidays if you're not around?
If you're such a tightarse, why pay all that money for a good helmet when you can probably get a Chinese one for fifty bucks?
It's my considered opinion that it would be like running the 100 metres in the Olympics wearing a running shoe and a work boot!
I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks to tell you what I really think.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8088 on: 13-May-18, 11:23 »
Good morning Harry,

Oh  Happy Mothers Day  to you.

As I think I mentioned earlier

"Will need to replace the rear tyre shortly and thinking of going "dark side", plus if it doesn't work it won't be an ultra expensive exercise to put a normal tyre back on."

I was going to give this a try and see if I liked it - at the moment it feels OK.. the tyre fitted on the rim easily and doesn't look out of place, and seems to perform for me OK - if I was racing the bike round a circuit - that would definitely be different - for that application you need an appropriate tyre, whereas I am doing mostly highway mileage and limited racetrack riding - so I think I have found a compromise for my crap riding style...I will let you have a ride in two weeks and you tell me what you think then..

And yes

"It's my considered opinion that it would be like running the 100 metres in the Olympics wearing a running shoe and a work boot!"

you are entitled to your opinion.

Cheers

Charlie    2angel

VC3

« Reply #8089 on: 13-May-18, 13:47 »
Yikes.  A car tire?  :2scared:

"Will need to replace the rear tyre shortly and thinking of going "dark side", plus if it doesn't work it won't be an ultra expensive exercise to put a normal tyre back on."

Well......it might be an ultra inexpensive exercise to put a motorcycle tire back on, but what is the cost of a catastrophic failure, what if it separates from the rim cornering?  If I wrote your insurance I wouldn't cover damages resulting from a non-standard tire failure....

Mostly, I'm concerned about your safety.  I've heard of people using car tires with sidecars, though.  And, I've seen lots of pictures of Saudis driving their SUV's on only two wheels...….

One way to determine if its safe is to check with the tire manufacturer and see what they say.

Be careful...….

Seagrass

« Reply #8090 on: 13-May-18, 13:54 »
This is a perfectly safe option and is used by many owners of larger capacity bikes like goldwings and other large cruisers.

Google “dark side motorcycle tyres” and you will find numerous posts about doing this and the reasons why.

To each his own but I say good on you Charlie for giving it a try

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8091 on: 13-May-18, 16:56 »
Thanks for your  concern Victor ,

I've done a fair bit of research and with my 26 years Insurance underwriting experience don't feel unsafe at all.

As Seagrass mentioned there is a huge amount of information and opinions on the internet, each supporting one way or the other.

White Knight put me onto a Valkyrie riders blog and I read that with some further degree of satisfaction.

Here is a link:

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

I don't ride like Valentino Rossi so feel that it won't be an issue.

Cheers

Mins Man

« Reply #8092 on: 13-May-18, 21:54 »
Still reckon you're a knucklehead. Car tyres have stiff sidewalls to keep the tread flat on the road while cornering while bike tyres have rounded shoulders so that you still have good tread contact while leaning the bike.
To my unsophisticated brain the two aren't compatible.

muzza

« Reply #8093 on: 14-May-18, 04:11 »
Guys here use car tyres on their Triumph Rocket 3 bikes but they dont look safe to me .

white knight

« Reply #8094 on: 15-May-18, 08:34 »
When I first read your intention to go with the dark side,I cringed.I am with Mins on this one.The rear Heidenau tire on my CL is getting down a bit after 15K's and is getting quite an sharp edge on it,not unlike your car tire.A mate was following me on a ride last weekend and was horrified at the amount sliding around the bike did on sharpish corners.Give me a proper engineered bike tire every time.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8095 on: 15-May-18, 08:43 »
No problems Chris,

Your bike is a little different to the Valkyrie. and having 15000 k's on it may not be wise to throw it around in corners. I remember someone saying to me at Victor Harbor a few years ago about a thin rear tyre on my 500 custom... 2wink

The tyre I put on is a Hankook - it doesn't have a sharp edge to it - and is rounded... happy0207

Cheers

hdconyers

« Reply #8096 on: 16-May-18, 20:32 »
Several years ago the Ulysses annual rally (AGM) was held in Albany WA. Several members of my Melb based branch with big cruiser type bikes, fitted car tyres on the rear wheel for the full trip with no adverse issues.

white knight

« Reply #8097 on: 17-May-18, 09:08 »
No problems Chris,

Your bike is a little different to the Valkyrie. and having 15000 k's on it may not be wise to throw it around in corners. I remember someone saying to me at Victor Harbor a few years ago about a thin rear tyre on my 500 custom... 2wink

The tyre I put on is a Hankook - it doesn't have a sharp edge to it - and is rounded... happy0207

Well good luck with that one Charlie-so how do you corner a Valk,stop and turn the handlebars and start again  (a bit clumsy) :crash:

Cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8098 on: 20-May-18, 10:01 »
Just came back from Gosford on Saturday morning - the ride was a bit cooler than normal, not a huge amount of traffic- but anyone in the Sydney region knows that Pennant Hills road is a bun fight irrespective of time or date.

And just to let everyone know - I like my rear car tyre on the valkyrie - so will be keeping it on for quite a while.  2angel

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8099 on: 20-May-18, 12:26 »
When I had my tyre replaced recently the mechanic mentioned I needed new shock absorber bushes on both rear shocks - he showed me one of them, but he didn't have the replacement parts.

I ordered the 4 bushes from Honda - $20.85 for 4.

Just replaced them this morning and used some red rubber grease on the fittings as well when re-installing.

Here is a picture of what the old ones were like - in a word - stuffed..

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle