Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 272265 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8300 on: 18-Nov-18, 14:14 »
Finally mulched and I can see some clear ground.

Now to move some logs... never planting another tree in my front yard....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Seagrass

« Reply #8301 on: 18-Nov-18, 17:45 »
In the last six weeks or so I have been to Perth, Hobart, Brisbane and Adelaide for work which has kept me fairly busy. I did manage a few days off to visit with friends and family while I was in Qld in early November and enjoyed spending a few days travelling in the glorious Qld countryside.

I have also been trying to resurect an old Windows 98 computer for a customer who has customised software that will not run on Windows 10. I finally managed to “virtualise” the Windows 98 hard drive so I now have a working solution that will run on almost any new computer hardware (I spent around 20 hours on this which is probably not billable)

The NBN field staff are busy in Wilberforce installing infrastructure for the NBN. Unfortunately I will be getting a Fibre to the Node connection like one third of the homes in Wilberforce. The other two thirds are getting Fibre to the Curb which is a much better technology as it eliminates nearly all of the (failing) copper cable giving a much more stable and usually quicker connection.

I have also been trying to resolve a problem with my (new to me) 2011 Subaru Outback fuel system. I have almost run out of fuel a couple of times as the car is only able to use around 50 litres of the 65 liters of fuel in the tank. I have now installed a genuine Subaru in tank fuel filter and adjusted the fuel sender unit correctly and while working more consistently, the car is still not able to use all the fuel in the tank. It appears the fuel pump may be faulty (the previous owner had the fuel pump replaced by an NRMA service centre but is not aware if it was a Subaru pump or an aftermarket pump fitted). I will revisit this when funds allow as Subaru pumps are around $350.

Yesterday I changed the spark plugs in the Outback. It is a 3.6 litre H6 motor with coil on plug technology so changing the plugs was a bit of a time consuming event.

No wonder I have been feeling a bit weary the last couple of months.

Seagrass

Seagrass

« Reply #8302 on: 18-Nov-18, 17:46 »
Finally mulched and I can see some clear ground.

Now to move some logs... never planting another tree in my front yard....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Looks like that mulcher does a good job Charlie.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8303 on: 18-Nov-18, 18:07 »
Hi Seagrass,

You have been much busier than me - all your frequent flyer points - lol..

I've had enough of the tree chopping and mulching - I have done one to two limbs per week for the last 4 weekends - and it's a bit of a chore - apart from sharpening the chain saw blade every time I use it - then drag the mulcher out - the tree was an absolute bugger to cut down safely - but in the end it was a money saving exercise as the price I got quoted to remove the tree was pretty costly. The mulcher has paid for itself twice over already and hasn't missed a beat - starts on third pull with the first two pulls being to prime it on full choke - it does not seem to use a lot of fuel either..but is noisy.. directing the mulch at the front hedge worked well apart from my aim - so a little bit landed on the road - so my son spent a half hour sweeping that back onto out yard.  I just need to cut the logs down to some smaller lengths and my youngest son wants to use two or three of them (I'm not sure what for yet).

The next job is to remove the stump or get it down to a manageable level. Then to call the plumber back in when all the smaller limbs and timber is gone. I have another 5 stumps in the front yard to remove as well from prior pine trees and some photinias.

A big project which if we all had hindsight I would never have put the trees in  - knowing what damage they have caused and the cost to remedy and the time taken to fix the issue.  oh well it's a good lesson learned.

Glad you have the patience for the software and windows 98...I remember DOS 2.1 - that's where my technical knowledge ceased - although I did have a dabble with Windows 3.1 for workgroups.. 2angel

Mins Man

« Reply #8304 on: 23-Nov-18, 17:34 »
Hey Charlie, just checking out Sydney's weather and wondering how you enjoyed your commute today.  rolleye0012

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8305 on: 23-Nov-18, 18:18 »
Hi Harry,

Going to work was easy - pretty calm - but overnight my bike cover finished down the front yard.. really expected it to be in the next suburb by the way it was blowing last night.

This afternoon was blustery winds on the way home - but sitting at a few traffic lights you needed both feet down for comfort - a bit gusty for just left foot down.

Cheers

Off to get the Turbo started on registration process tomorrow morning - first a handwritten pink slip (should pass easily), then to RMS for an unregistered vehicle permit with a declaration form saying it's a safe vehicle - reckon I should be good with the pink slip to show them, then Sunday morning ride over and back to Glenorie for the club inspection day - and have them scrutinise and inspect  - fingers crossed it all happens smoothly.

Will be able to give the rebuilt front shocks a test out - and try to avoid the big potholes - and will take a cloth just in case they start to leak..:)

Hopefully it won't be as windy.

Cheers

Mins Man

« Reply #8306 on: 23-Nov-18, 19:57 »
Do you need a permit to take it for inspection? Will this be your first serious ride of the turbo? :vroom:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8307 on: 23-Nov-18, 20:08 »
Harry,

I rang RMS on Tuesday and explained what I was doing - they said it was ok for me to go straight to the mechanics to get the pink slip then go home, then go visit them for the Unregistered vehicle permit for the Sunday.

No I've already had a ride on the Turbo - I took it round the block several times a few months ago when I got it back from Seagrass. I'm not unfamiliar with the bike, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to get a full tank of petrol when I'm out "on my way home" tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Just put the handle bar and lever covers back on, ran it for 5 minutes so it is ready and able to go tomorrow morning. I put some zip ties around the fork stanchions - just to see how much travel I get on the forks tomorrow morning - and will leave them on for the run on Sunday... see how it all goes...

Cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8308 on: 24-Nov-18, 10:13 »
Well part 1 of the journey completed.

Pink slip passed - but unhappy with the left hand mirror - totally useless - kept falling down.
Got home and took off the front cover - could not get to the screws so had to remove the mirror - then undid both screws - bit of red loctite and put it back on - one of the screws was fractionally loose - just enough for it to vibrate downwards.
Back together and off to RMS shortly.

Waiting to put the wife, sister in law and mother in law on a shuttle bus for their cruise leaving this afternoon...then FREEDOM   lol

Filled up with fuel and when resetting the trip meter- the knob exploded in three pieces when I pressed it to reset...oh well - now I know how Harry feels. No way I could find it all - and no hope of glueing it back together - too brittle.

Took a few pictures of the fork travel  - and for interest sake it rides very well - not harsh at all..so at the moment will leave it where it is - and best of all currently not leaking but having only done 10k's I will reserve judgement.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Mins Man

« Reply #8309 on: 27-Nov-18, 21:56 »
Hey Charlie, just read on the old interweb that Sidenee is expecting 100mm of rain tomorrow.
Motorists are advised to not drive tomorrow, but I'm sure you'll be OK on your bike.  happy0194

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8310 on: 27-Nov-18, 22:05 »
Yes Harry,

I will be riding my bike in the morning - I don't mind having a shower on the way to work..lol  better than a heatwave.

Piked out lol  too wet for me - bit the bullet and took the wifes car - she isn't using while on her cruise...haha - but had a longer walk to work - nearly 800 metres- that's my daily exercise    haha

Cheers

PS- I suppose you will sleep in and decide if you will get out of bed tomorrow -  lmao

doddsy1000

« Reply #8311 on: 27-Nov-18, 23:29 »
I'm not sure that Harry would be any drier.

Although it does have a boot in the front like a Volkswagen  lmao lmao lmao

Mins Man

« Reply #8312 on: 28-Nov-18, 08:52 »
We were discussing this last night and I told Ian that you would pike it......you big softie.  sign0181

doddsy1000

« Reply #8313 on: 28-Nov-18, 11:30 »
And my reply to Harry was that I wouldn't blame you Charlie.  :good:

We all rode home from Cowra some years back in that kind of rain.

I've had that same pleasure a number of times & not planning on volunteering for a drenched ride again anytime soon.

Neither is Harry.

I had to show him the weather radar to get him to stay at the pub last night.  The big softie!  lmao lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8314 on: 28-Nov-18, 11:46 »
I can just imagine you twisting his arm Ian - :)

I don't mind getting wet as long as it is on the way home so at least I can change and have a hot shower - but being a drowned rat all day is not my cup of tea.

lol

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8315 on: 09-Dec-18, 10:11 »
Ah crap,

Went riding yesterday on my CX500 Turbo to get new braided lines put on. Short ride up the Blue mountains from Penrith to Katoomba to visit my mechanic. Beautiful sunshine about 24 degess celcius, no breeze - twisty curves - so depressing.
On the way home dropped into my daughters- they were pouring a new slab for my son in laws man cave - see if I can put up a picture - it was a pity I arrived as they were pouring the last 6 cubic metres - good timing I think.

Stayed for a cup of coffee, then rode home down the mountains - weather fine - no breeze - a bit warmer at the bottom of the hill near home..

Really crap day lol

doddsy1000

« Reply #8316 on: 09-Dec-18, 10:14 »
That's a nice day  happy0159

I noticed your Avatar heading, "CX500 Turbo Nearly ready to ride".

Time for a change to "CX500 Turbo - finally working" ?  lmao lmao lmao

Mins Man

« Reply #8317 on: 09-Dec-18, 10:49 »
Yeah that looks like a lot of fun Charlie, pity you missed out.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8318 on: 09-Dec-18, 12:24 »
Thanks Ian, Thanks Harry,

I'm probably glad I missed out - I had the pleasure of digging several of 32 pier holes two weekends ago - and moving probably 40 ton of fill into the far side of the block, then having to drill down till we hit rock on all holes to satisfy council and get approval - holes went from 2 feet to 8 feet deep... then had to also dig out a rather large water runofff pit 2m x 8m and about a metre deep.

Son in law was also having another 80 ton of clean fill delivered to go  next to the shed late yesterday...so that's why I left early...   2angel

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8319 on: 14-Dec-18, 16:15 »
Amazing junk collector - hit the jackpot......ha ha

Coming home yesterday afternoon about 4:30  and just up the road from me sitting on the grass verge (where everyone leaves their junk) were two mowers. As I rode past I thought - they look ok, not the usually battered and crapped out junk waiting for the metal recyclers to come around.

Sent my youngest son up to check them out - he wasn't that impressed as my wife had also asked him to go and get them some time earlier in the day - he said we didn't need another two mowers.

Reluctantly he went and pushed them home at my request - I asked him to give the pull cords a quick tug to see if either was seized - he didn't do that - saying if he drags the home then I have to dispose of them if they are no good - fair enough..

Well I spent 5 minutes on the first one - it had fuel, the throttle cable was a bit wonky - seemed it had seized a little bit in the top control - it was also quite loose at the top.. anyhow gave it a few quick pulls - started straight up - no smoke - when turning it off however - it didn't want to  - finished having to pull the plug lead off - now sorted - lubed the cable - air filter cleaned - fixed the throttle     woo hoo

Second mower was a little different - pulled quite a few times - kept spitting out water from the exhaust - pulled the plug had plenty of spark - bit of "start ya bastard" down the plug hole - no it didn't want to start.. raining too heavy parked them under my boat for the night.

Having today off obviously - and did a few more checks - the second one (green) had no air filter - so sprayed some  "start ya bastard" down the air filter throat - pulled again - it kicked but stopped - did that 3 or 4 more times - it then settled into a steady run  ---- woo hoo again..

Photos of the cheap mowers   :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Onetrack

« Reply #8320 on: 14-Dec-18, 18:07 »
Hope the boat was not in the water when you parked the mowers underneath it. :stupidme2: sign0175

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8321 on: 14-Dec-18, 18:21 »
No Les - but we have had our fair share of rain last night and today - I do have a small moat around the house at present.    lmao

doddsy1000

« Reply #8322 on: 15-Dec-18, 07:53 »
Was that you complaining about a lack of shed space Charlie?  lmao lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8323 on: 15-Dec-18, 08:47 »
Mate,

I will take a picture sometime today - and let you see what limited space I have to contend with. Needless to say - the two new additions - just fit.

But I do need to probably get a bigger shed - which will happen - but there are other chores in front of this. I had got some quotes for a new carport extending from the house to the front of the driveway and to the shed- which I hope will give me the opportunity to remove the shed and "fill in" a larger section at the side - I am hoping for 3m x 5m size with probably a skillion roof and one window, one large or two smaller sliding doors. Should be able to then fit the Turbo inside it - plus a few other pieces.

It takes me quite a bit of awkward time to manoeuvre things in place and then I have to climb over stuff carefully to get in or out   lol

cheers

anti clutter device (me) has re arranged the shed - now have a square to stand in front of the bench - best it is going to get I think  lol

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

grod

« Reply #8324 on: 16-Dec-18, 17:29 »
Today I rode about 10 Klms.

#winning

g

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt