Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 309114 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8325 on: 06-Jan-19, 16:09 »
About time this topic had some responses,

Was going to go for a ride on the Turbo yesterday - but it got too hot too quick - so by the time I was ready it was already 36 degrees so I didn't bother. Weather forecasters predicted a much cooler day today and the chance of some rain last night.

What can I say  - they were actually right. Went and did a quick shop this morning - so why not get the old girl out of moth balls (it has been a few weeks since I have ridden it).

Before lunch I adjusted the handle bars upwards about 2mm at most by the marks I made on the bars and clamps, it made a big difference to the riding feeling - also the riding position was more comfortable for me - probably only a very few degrees - but it seemed to help.

Gear on, roll to the bottom of the driveway, turn on my GPS tracker app on my phone, start the bike - and it immediately stumbles and dies - did that 5 or 6 times and the bike sounded like it was running on one cylinder - checked by pulling the left plug lead off and bike nearly died before I got it back on, did the same with the right cylinder - no difference to the running. Held the throttle on with the left hand up to about 3k rpm then used the right hand to pull the right hand plug lead off and on - got the occasional pick up in revs on the tacho - but did not sound very nice... got a few pops through the exhaust - so thought - I'll take it around the block and see if it clears. Headed out on the main road- not a lot of traffic - and it didn't clear its throat until nearly 2km's from home and just as I was turning into a garage to check tyre pressures the turbo kicked in.

I also installed 2 x 90 degree tyre valve extensions as these wheels are a bugger to get the air hoses onto... large fail sign here - the extended valves were totally useless.

The bike was now idling nicely - so decided to do a run up to Richmond - coffee at Maccas then a trip to Windsor then home to Penrith. Finished up going home from Maccas direct to Penrith as the weather was starting to close in and I didn't have any wet weather gear. Drizzled all the way home.

The Turbo kick is quite addictive in third gear - and fourth is a hoot..  not sure whether a plug was fouled or a dirty injector - but everyone is happy now - and I have had my adrenalin hit for today... 2angel

I think this is a map of where I went

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/40+Pelsart+Ave,+Penrith+NSW+2750/McDonald's+Richmond,+March+St,+Richmond+NSW+2753/40+Pelsart+Avenue,+Penrith+NSW/@-33.668588,150.6632159,12z/data=!4m25!4m24!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b1285a482ec20eb:0x60d9436fe86afc3b!2m2!1d150.7121318!2d-33.7359516!1m10!1m1!1s0x6b0d7d5b4084aafb:0x1ca55ab2bbe7e2e2!2m2!1d150.752815!2d-33.599337!3m4!1m2!1d150.6749908!2d-33.6546402!3s0x6b12815f4d9abf1d:0x498918f352babf05!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b1285a482ec20eb:0x60d9436fe86afc3b!2m2!1d150.7121318!2d-33.7359516!3e0

doddsy1000

« Reply #8326 on: 06-Jan-19, 17:13 »
That was always common with my 500T mate for the whole time that I had it.

The injectors really don't like sitting unused for very long at all.

I also got a quick ride in today, but the fuel pump on my VFR750 seems to be failing.

It was very hard to keep running until it got warm & spluttered quite a bit while I was riding it.

None the less, I managed a quick trip around the local hills & stopped for a photo.

Now to order a new pump (Something you can't do on a 500T  lmao lmao lmao).

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8327 on: 06-Jan-19, 18:13 »
A Doddsy photo with no Grid Girls - you turn over a New Years resolution???

The pump on my Turbo is definitely not an original - but it works - so will let it run till it stops   lol

I would not think an injector would stop working - I have been starting and running the bike every week - and run it up to mid way temperature - maybe 10-12 minutes then turn it off - it may be the plug fouled just by idling ???  _ I might pull them and have a look anyway.  I have a few spare injectors - so easy enough to swap one out...

Cheers

Ian - you going to VJMC this year ??

bahn88

« Reply #8328 on: 06-Jan-19, 18:35 »
Spent the day at Cowes-Kustom Nationals car show. Some great 4 wheel machines on display.

Was a few bikes including a Brough Superior SS100-but If I had the $150,000 (plus?)  I'd probably go a few Sunbeams, Nortons plus some Japanese machinery.......  2rolleyes

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8329 on: 06-Jan-19, 18:47 »
I would love to ride a Brough Superior - marvellous looking bikes..

doddsy1000

« Reply #8330 on: 06-Jan-19, 20:32 »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Yep Charlie, I'm planning the trip to VJMC (I'd booked a campsite this time several months ago, due to the cost of cabins).

I never had any issues with plugs from idling or stop start traffic (which is painful on those), but I regularly had to run the bike to clear the fuel injectors.

I never had them cleaned properly, so that's all I know  :crash:

bahn88 - I was also down at the Island this weekend & the classic cars were everywhere.

My interest was riding a pushbike around the Grand Prix Circuit on Saturday & staying with friends.

Not a grid girl to be seen anywhere  lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8331 on: 06-Jan-19, 20:44 »
Ian,

I have had these injectors cleaned twice (or at least one of them has). I got a spare set as well - which I can swap out..and I have had them cleaned professionally. Plus being a glutton for punishment I purchased another set off ebay, and due to a faulty ultrasonic ebay purchase I have not cleaned these yet - looking to set up a small test tank soon as I had received for xmas 2 years ago an injector pulser unit that you plug into a 9v-12v source and it operates the injector - once, twice, three times or forever.. so I can test the old injectors - now to work out how to force some fuel and degreaser through them - to give them a flush out. 

As for the VJMC - probably looking into either a cabin to share or possibly camp at an ensuite site (grass) - getting over the full tent set up - so have purchased a swag from Harry - and will give it a test run in March. I might start another topic/thread for the 2019 VJMC to see if many people are going or planning on attending from here.

Cheers

Charlie

Mins Man

« Reply #8332 on: 06-Jan-19, 21:07 »
What a coincidence, I was down at Phillip Island this weekend and had a quick squiz at some of the cars before it started raining Saturday arvo and I headed for home.

doddsy1000

« Reply #8333 on: 06-Jan-19, 22:14 »
Well done Harry, you actually went out in the rain.

That was 3 minutes worth wasn't it?  2funny

Although, I did my pushbike ride earlier because the radar looked like rain & it did happen just after I finished.  I had enough trouble doing 2 x 4.5km laps without wet weather gear to slow me down.  :crash:

Charlie,

my memory seems to recall something in the $600 area for the cheapest cabins so I covered my backside by booking a powered site.

That can all be changed if you need a guest or we can all jump into Harry's 60 second tent.

Or.....  You can have the other half of my site anytime if your swag works out.

At this stage, I'm thinking about a car & trailer for this trip.

That's better in some ways, but worse in others.

It's faster with fewer stops & less body pain, but the setup looks like a real target in some car parks for accomodation.

The flip side is that I can carry a real-ish mattress & sleep better if I camp all the way up & with a lockable everything, I could also look at free camping options.

1st world problems are awesome  :2afro:

Tamworth was the longest trip I'd ever done & I could try to be a man & do the Gold Coast. (or not actually survive  :SuperHero:).

As you know, I recently read the SMS that I sent on the way to Tamworth & even I found myself to be unintelligible at a much shorter distance.  lmao

Maybe the car is good?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8334 on: 11-Jan-19, 09:29 »
Having a well earned day off from a hectic work schedule - I worked 3 days last week, now 4 this week, I don't know whether I can handle a whole 5 days next week...it's a worry.

Just installed a waterproof USB charger/adapter on my Turbo this morning. I need it to plug my phone into as I think I will be using a small GPS app when riding the bike most of the time - as still getting used to the incorrect speedometer readings.

Ran it under the dash and hooked power feed directly from the neutral/oil pressure light fuse - the same way I did for the digital voltmeter. A bit of velcro on top of the air cleaner cover to hold the voltage adapter in place (I think 5 volt 3 amp), then ran the USB cable under the dash cover out near the right hand front of the tank - nice and neat and simple.

Photos to come.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

bahn88

« Reply #8335 on: 13-Jan-19, 12:13 »
About 2 years ago, I enquired bout the german CX500 DVD-which was unavailable now...

The producer (fred Ilger) emailed me today to advise that footage is now at his youtube channel.

here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCqfXcyT8cqTYKFak_lh1A

grod

« Reply #8336 on: 13-Jan-19, 15:50 »
Today I was planning a 3klm latte ride and the bike didn't start.  I heard "tick, tick, tick,tick - recurring" and thought the starter solenoid was toasted.  After charging all day and trying again, I realised it was the MotoBatt that was toasted.  Now I wonder if the charging circuit is an issue as the battery isn't that old.

Anyone have recommendations for replacement batteries, or is the MotorBatt 14AU still a reasonable unit?

Oh, and I managed to break the main fuse and the replacement one on the outer solenoid cover too.  I'll need to search for replacements

g

bahn88

« Reply #8337 on: 13-Jan-19, 16:29 »
Ive found the "Motobatt's" fairly good-battery discharge is affected by both hot and old temps. (5%-10% discharge/ month typical)
Your motor wont generally start with less than bout 40-50% total battery capacity charge
Have you tried a recovery charge with a good charger-e.g. Optimate?

Suggest your next battery (if needed) is a AGM (less possible leak compared to normal wet/gel)

Re fuse-mine went to powder when inspected (ribbon fuse) some time ago-Rewired a spade type. All common ribbons (e.g. Narva 30A) will need to be "trimmed" to fit the holder ....

grod

« Reply #8338 on: 13-Jan-19, 16:57 »
Thanks 88,

I will get another MotoBatt 14AU and ensure the G8 Stator is giving the charge.

love

g

white knight

« Reply #8339 on: 14-Jan-19, 06:13 »
I have heard of the odd failiure of the Motobatt-I am sure they have a 12 month warranty so I would take it back to the supplier,if its older than 12 months and you grizzle enough they may still replace it because as I say they do have the odd failiure which is well known,Chinese after all.

Seagrass

« Reply #8340 on: 14-Jan-19, 07:47 »
The Mottobat is not a good choice for the CX range as the CX regulator supplies a much higher charging voltage (around 14.9 volts from memory) than the battery is designed for.

I installed one in my CX500 turbo and one in my NT700 around three years ago. After about a year the one in the Turbo failed but the one in the NT700 is still going strong.

I replaced the one in the turbo with one of the following which is lasting well so far.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YTX14AH-12V-14Ah-GEL-Battery-Honda-VF750C-VF700F-VF750F-V45-Interceptor-YB14A-A2/181674278190?hash=item2a4ca17d2e:g:0x4AAOSwo6lWMBCG

Seagrass

grod

« Reply #8341 on: 14-Jan-19, 10:30 »
My battery is about 3 yo so I'm not going to complain too much.  thanks for the replies and I'm going to go with Seagrass' suggestion, I'll double check the physical size first.

love

g

Seagrass

« Reply #8342 on: 14-Jan-19, 10:54 »
Yes please double check as I am away from home and although that is the type of battery I purchased it may not be the correct model or the same seller.

Let me know if you want me to try and find out those details.

The Turbo uses the same battery as the normal CX.

Seagrass

grod

« Reply #8343 on: 14-Jan-19, 11:00 »
MotoBatt is 2mm higher otherwise exactly the same.

Thanks again

g

doddsy1000

« Reply #8344 on: 14-Jan-19, 11:47 »

bahn88

batteries
« Reply #8345 on: 14-Jan-19, 18:17 »
Are the "orange GELs" the go cause of cost or technical advantage? (happy to be "converted' if technically superior)
the CCP is about the same as the Motobatt., and both are AGM....

The Motobatt's certified non-spillable-the orange just makes the claim......... :unsure:

doddsy1000

« Reply #8346 on: 14-Jan-19, 19:00 »
I don't know about technically superior.

I did tip mine upside down for fun & was delighted that nothing spilled out.

It did need charging when it arrived though & my charger reported good health.  Given the lack of use, I'm pleased that it hasn't gone flat yet which the Yuasa acid batteries certainly were doing frequently.

Ask us again in 3 years  happy0158 happy0158 happy0158

Seagrass

« Reply #8347 on: 14-Jan-19, 21:13 »
The mottobat should be a superior battery as they only use “new lead” in all of their batteries (not recycled) and they supposedly also have thicker lead plates.

The mottobats do work well in the newer bikes that have a maximum charging voltage of 14.1volts (from memory).

As I mentioned earlier the CX family charge much higher than this and the mottobat’s fail prematurely due to the sustained higher charging voltage.

Seagrass

white knight

« Reply #8348 on: 15-Jan-19, 05:55 »
Well-I don't know about all this-I ran Motobatt in both my CX's right up to the time I sold them,the same in my GB500.I never had a problem with any of them in all that time-as I said earlier there were some failiures amongst the hundreds that were sold,but many of these were replaced either under warranty or because some failiures had been noted.For the $ I found them a great option,the real problem is that when they die it happens without warning.

Mins Man

« Reply #8349 on: 15-Jan-19, 09:24 »
I've had two of them fail recently and my opinion is that they don't like being on the battery maintainers for long periods.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt