Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 309110 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8400 on: 31-Mar-19, 17:00 »
The Valkyrie is definitely crook starter motor.

Running a jumper cable directly from the battery positive cable to the starter motor post - I get nothing ... no reaction at all.

Checking voltage at the + battery post directly to the starter motor post - I get nothing (no voltage) with ignition turned on - but get 12.3V with nothing but a click at the solenoid when pressing the starter button (this is the same as the battery voltage across both terminals) - If I had a solenoid that was stuck it probably wouldn't "Click" so the solenoid is working and passing electricity through - but the starter motor is not doing what it is suppose to do when it gets the voltage.

Either there is a problem with the starter motor - possibly brushes worn out - or worst case scenario - I have some broken teeth on the starter motor gears going into the back of  the motor r(hopefully it is not this).

doddsy1000

« Reply #8401 on: 01-Apr-19, 06:39 »
That's a new battery, isn't it Charlie?

If not, jump start from the car.

If it is, then you're exactly right.  :2afro: :2afro:

Onetrack

« Reply #8402 on: 01-Apr-19, 07:39 »
The Valkyrie is definitely crook starter motor.

Either there is a problem with the starter motor - possibly brushes worn out - or worst case scenario - I have some broken teeth on the starter motor gears going into the back of  the motor r(hopefully it is not this).

You would hear the starter running if the gears were not connecting, check the starter motor repair for CX motors, is the starter similar in design to the CX with the same design fault.

"young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8403 on: 05-Apr-19, 19:46 »
Bit the bullet,

Valkyrie has been delivered up to my mechanics in Katoomba to diagnose the non-starting issue.  I managed to buy a set of starter motor brushes last week - one set left in Australia from Nowra motorcycles. Paid and posted for $45.00. Better than waiting anywhere up to 4 weeks to come from Japan.

Despite some vigorous swearing at the bike (now called THE  BIOTCH), it has not responded to my stern lectures and refused to even acknowledge my presence with even a hint of a whir or flutter - despite numerous depressing of the starter button.

Ignition off - so there - I even left the bike cover off - cop that.

Mechanic called said he would diagnose on Monday and let me know what he discovers.

Hoping for a simple answer - but tending towards something which may hurt my hip pocket..

On the brighter side - I am riding the Turbo every day to and from work - and am getting more used to riding it - and selecting the proper gear for the speed I am running - don't seem to get into 5th gear a lot doodling around town, and all roundabouts are definitely 2nd gear - in 3rd the bike tends to shudder a fair bit coming out of the roundabouts and throttling up. It is pleasurable to ride and it is getting smoother the more you get used to when the power is coming on.  Makes it a fun ride.   2angel

In the mornings it seems to have a few small issues of stumbles when throttling up in 2nd gear (first change of the morning) - I think because it is not even getting warm - as per the temp gauge by the time I am parking the bike.   Even letting it warm up a few minutes it does the same thing. After riding for a few minutes it is all fine - so possibly a sticky injector methinks. Apart from that I love it.

Cheers guys - looks like a great weekend to go for a ride.   

Charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8404 on: 12-Apr-19, 07:38 »
Mechanic called on Monday afternoon,

Start motor removed and not in a good state - brushes worn badly and commutator burnt from arcing of some sort. I don't think he took any pictures but has the brushes to show how bad they were.

Apparently it has cleaned up quite well and should more than likely last for the balance of time I own the bike.

Good to know the starter has lasted 18 years - not a bad performance and not knowing how many times the bike has been started - probably quite a few thousand times - so a good run.

Cheers guys - back to riding the moving sofa next week..  lol    lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8405 on: 13-Apr-19, 15:31 »
Some issues,

Picking up the Valkyrie tomorrow, so I have spent this morning getting over a night out with family at an Italian restaurant at Blaxland. Food was pretty good - but the amount of Garlic in everything has overpowered me - I should be clear of coughs and colds for several years.  lol

Decided to degrease the front of the Turbo - a bit of build up of some excess oil around the clutch cover, mainly from it seems around the adjustment lever - could need a new seal inside the cover. Anyway it was an opportunity to clean it up - then I decided I would re route the clutch cable, as it was poking out the front just behind the forks. Got that routed after a few attempts, and then also managed to get the radiator mesh screen in place. Have not mounted all 5 locating screws - based on the shape of the cover - it would seem that some of the holes do not line up very cleanly. Anyway two top ones and the bottom centre - it's not falling off and looks a bit neater..

cheers

charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8406 on: 14-Apr-19, 18:52 »
Picked up the Valkyrie about 10 this morning. Never knew the starter motor turned as fast as it does.

Will post up a picture or two of the brushes when I get aroundtuit - probably tomorrow night.

Spent the rest of the day at the son ln laws assisting in the erection of a 10.5m x 10.5m barn style shed. 3 roller doors wide.

I was the gofer - as I refused to climb up on the roof. Am tired as blazes, been on my feet all day - up an down ladders- guaranteed I will be stiff and sore tomorrow morning.

All in all most of the roof is now on - just the final really high sections to put together. It is also being lined with insulation and that is the most difficult part getting that all in place before screwing sections down.

Cheers guys have a great evening.

Mins Man

« Reply #8407 on: 15-Apr-19, 09:51 »
Very wise decision Charlie...it would have to be a super strong roof to hold your weight.  happy0062
And it won't matter if you're stiff and sore at work because all you have to hold is a pencil.
You're welcome. :hatoff:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8408 on: 15-Apr-19, 11:31 »
Harry,

My son in law - weighs more than me - I could see the roof battens bending when he was standing on them just pinning the insulation in place. So I would have been OK BUT I refuse to climb up more than about 5 or 6 steps - as past experience has led me to fall down quite easily - and the concrete seems to get a lot harder as you get older   lol.

My job yesterday was to keep him supplied with batteries for his drill, various length roofing screws, comments about where he should put his shed when I tripped over steel, rocks, mesh, one of three dogs continually around your feet and legs.

Carrying lengths of corrugated colorbond after trimming up one top edge and bending the ends to avoid rain running up the sheets into the shed (just the valleys), then walking them over to the shed and marking up from the end to be sure they aligned. 

Windy as well - lots of fun - and enjoyable.   

On the roof - no way.

As for a pen - NAH I use an electronic notepad.

Mins Man

« Reply #8409 on: 15-Apr-19, 18:04 »
Sorry Charlie, but electronic notepad pusher just doesn't have the same ring to it.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8410 on: 15-Apr-19, 19:20 »
I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint - not like you - you old troglodyte..

lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8411 on: 15-Apr-19, 21:26 »
Found the time to take a few photos,

I think this could be why the Valkyrie didn't like being started.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pretty sure they are fooked...

Onetrack

« Reply #8412 on: 16-Apr-19, 06:56 »
Looks like a brush up of carbon input is required.

"Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8413 on: 16-Apr-19, 08:28 »
Very good Les,

I 'll put another log on the fire for you.. :)

cheers

Those gouges in the brushers were really quite deep as well.

ACE

« Reply #8414 on: 18-Apr-19, 21:44 »
After spending most of 2018 and the past 6 weeks of 2019 travelling around Australia, we are now home for a while and retired life is pretty good eh! The weather in Victoria has been spectacular so I have been enjoying riding the 500B around the area and catching up on jobs in the workshop. Looks like I might even begin the rebuild of the second 500 that has been in boxes forever. First job is refitting the heads to the engine and engine repaint.
Cheers
Chris

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8415 on: 19-Apr-19, 09:53 »
I suppose for those who are retired it is good.   

Just remember us poor souls keeping the country running while you have a nana nap.

:tease:

VC3

« Reply #8416 on: 19-Apr-19, 12:14 »
Hi Charlie....here's one for your collection:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/tieton-1981-honda-gl500-silverwing-with/6860269081.html

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8417 on: 19-Apr-19, 14:57 »
Victor,

Nice looking unit  - would not be game to buy another bike - I think I have too many toys - as SWMBO seems to keep indicating.

Charlie

doddsy1000

« Reply #8418 on: 19-Apr-19, 23:04 »
Not everything is about motorcycles (but it probably should be  2smitten).

We're in Bright Victoria for Easter again,  but that gives me a test run before the VJMC rally about 4 week's away.

I've got my front wheel drive car towing my trailer  & it's doing a pretty good job.   Only 3 push bikes on it,  but a good 300km towing test after a refurb at xmas.

Hopefully,  all stays good & driving up to Dreamworld  is less nightmares than I've had in the past  :boohoo: lmao

I'm still taking 3 tins of insect spray.  happy0194

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8419 on: 20-Apr-19, 13:41 »
Cleaning up the rear end of the Turbo - polished a few bits I missed last time (or at least what I call polishing )- no  expert job but a small shine on some corroded aluminium.

Wire wheel to the rear of the exhausts - gave them a coat of some aluminium epoxy enamel - not sure if it will stick - hope so. Going to grease the pro link - it has grease nipples installed. Drained the drain hose behind the right hand exhaust - one was full of watery/ rusty concoction - think this is from the engine breather/canister - never drained it before - so I got some on my new t-shirt (wife not pleased). The other one I think is the battery drain hose - so nothing out of that one.

Small oil drop under the final drive connection to the tail shaft - on the lowest bolt - just wiped it off - will degrease it later today.

Will add some photos shortly - running out of energy again - weather is warm... nearly time for a nap.

Hope everyone is enjoying a good relaxing easter break...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Cheers

Charlie

doddsy1000

« Reply #8420 on: 20-Apr-19, 21:33 »
That gunk hose is about right on the Turbo & I think also on the CX500 Euro from memory.

It does seem to collect oil residue from the engine breather & then allow it to mix with condensation from the air cleaner to create a gooey sludge.

There are people who use a rag to clean it instead of their shirt.   lmao lmao lmao

One for Harry  happy0158 happy0158

white knight

« Reply #8421 on: 21-Apr-19, 05:11 »
Only you Charlie would do their motorcycle servicing wearing a new tee shirt Doh

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8422 on: 21-Apr-19, 09:47 »
Thanks for your responses guys, nothing like a bit of moral support   lol

Well it happens every so often - I get yelled at for wearing grubby clothes around on weekends etc,, and I'm definitely no fashion statement either.

Happened that I put on a new Tshirt (my daughter brought it back from the USA) - its a Mickey Mouse from Disneyland... well I'm sure the gunk will wash out - we all have to get dirty sometimes... haha

Ian, the fluid that came out - was not oily - it was the consistency of water - definitely no oil in it - but had a rusty tinge to it, I didn't think to put a container under it as wasn't expecting about a cup full to come out.

Chris, good to hear from you - hope the land of the long white cloud is treating you well. 

I might do some more polishing in the shed today (planning on the oil filter cover) and give the bike an oil change - now to find another new Tshirt.

cheers

Charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8423 on: 21-Apr-19, 18:20 »
Well thought I might keep the same shirt on as yesterday - may as well break it in completely.

Started out trimming the front hedge. That took about an hour from start to finish - up and down a small step ladder again - but only 2 steps - so easy enough. Electric hedge trimmer did a great job  - even looked OK when it was finished.

Ducked over to supercheap auto to buy some oil to give the Turbo a change. Got all ready and managed to carry out a warm up then drain - and in between took the time to dremel the filter cover with some scotch brite type wheels, used two of them - but didn't force the tool just let it sit on the cover and moved it about - with even a small amount of pressure - they fail pretty quick.

Then did a very quick run on the polishing wheel with just some white rouge - spent about 10 minutes or so - not really looking for a mirror shine - just a bit - and it came up OK. Few photos of before during and after..

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Actually forgot I polished the oil filter bolt after I cleaned the paint and rust off it as well... woo hoo

white knight

« Reply #8424 on: 22-Apr-19, 06:24 »
I hope that's not the "Daughter Bought" tee shirt in those pics Charlie!-Talking tee's,I have been collecting a few vintage shirts
(pre 1980's)recently-golly they knew how to make tees in those days.A couple of years back I picked up a vintage Coca Cola shirt,it was brand new and I paid less than $20 for it,saw the identical shirt sold on e-bay recently for $130.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt

Puggle