Puggle

Website Migration

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 310894 times)

Mins Man

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #8525 on: 28-Jun-19, 19:44 »
Very impressive Charlie, I think you're wasting your time as a public servant.
I've just returned from a week in Beechworth enjoying the serenity and the fabulous weather.
Clear blue skies and temperatures in the high teens was terrific, although it was a bit chilly Monday morning with minus 4 degrees.
I went bush yesterday cutting firewood and enjoyed a BBQ lunch over an open fire next to Lake Wobby.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8526 on: 29-Jun-19, 09:11 »
Hi Harry,

Glad you are enjoying your dotage, and you have upgraded the risks of further disaster - as I presume you were using a chain saw to cut timber and not an angle grinder.  May as well cut off an arm or a leg instead of a thumb   :tease: :tease:

Glad the weather has been nice, yes it is definitely chilly in the mornings.

I am off to Canberrra for a couple of weeks tomorrow morning, and I know it will be chilly there every morning on the ride to work.

Bike is ready - I have even ordered my Coles click n collect when I get there, to save me a bit of time.

Concreting is not my forte - the two days after that arms and shoulders were aching, and my back was ridiculously sore...but the concrete hasn't cracked (yet). It is still drying out as we had some heavy rain for a few days after the pour.

I am also maybe, hopefully, looking to get into another project, but need to be very quiet about this one - particularly if my wife is within earshot. 

If you don't hear from me for a few weeks - send the police    lol

Pictures to follow - and I am sure there will be the appropriate comments as well.   I am dependent on someone sending me the photos, so be patient.

Cheers and beers   2angel

Mins Man

« Reply #8527 on: 29-Jun-19, 11:46 »
Geez Charlie, not another mobile couch!
I actually sold my CX 400 Custom last weekend so I'm down to 2 bikes.....if you don't count the Postie and the Can Am.
I have bought a new trailer though. I've had enough emptying the trailer at the tip, so I bought a tipping bastard.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8528 on: 29-Jun-19, 13:15 »
Harry,

So you still have 4 in total, the CX500 Custom, Postie, Can Am, what else do you have left ? You sold the Goldwing, the CX650 Turbo - I thought you disposed of the 500T as well?

So how many trailers do you have - and is this the one you were going to purchase from queensland ?

No it is not another couch - something a wee bit smaller...

But still waiting for photos    2angel

Mins Man

« Reply #8529 on: 29-Jun-19, 15:22 »
I still have the 500 Turbo, so I will have to get my ar$e into gear and advertise it on Gumtree.
Now that I have a new 8 x 5 tandem trailer I will have to sell my old tandem and I might as well sell my bike trailer too.
Seeing as how you've become a bike collector now, you should have a trailer to carry them on when they break down.   happy0062
In answer to your question, I currently have 5 trailers and a ute....do I have to declare that on my tax or are you just being nosy?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8530 on: 29-Jun-19, 19:37 »
Not being nosey,

I suppose it must be good to collect things - but I don't have the room to collect much. I battle with what I have and how I can store things when I buy them. So I have a bit of clutter.

Starting to de-clutter slowly and my answer to this problem is to give things to my son-in-law who has 5000sqm up at Bullaburra, and a large 3 bay garage just recently completed. Problem is he has more clutter than me..lol

I gave him my box trailer as we don't have a car with a tow bar. Let him borrow the concrete mixer years ago, and don't push him to get things back. So I might be able to get some more room to put more clutter in.

I may not have the photos I need to put up for a while as I won't have internet access in Canberra - and I cannot use the work PC's for uploading of pictures.. So will wait and see.

Cheers Harry.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8531 on: 29-Jun-19, 19:52 »
Just another little story,

As I am off travelling for a couple of weeks - took the Turbo out for a quick run this morning, thought it would be wise to put a bit of charge into the battery, warm the oil up.

Well I know I have a problem with the speedo cable or the actual speedo in the dashboard, as when returning from Grafton on my last little misadventure, the speedo was jumping wildly about and was making some dreadful noises - sounding like at any time it was going to self destruct. Not having ridden it much at all this morning it decided to remind meas soon as I got onto the main road. Throttled up and into second gear and my ear drums nearly burst from the screech coming from the dashboard. Needle flogging itself 20-40 range back and forward. The noise did not stop until I was at a dead stop. As soon as I started again it came back. Went and filled up with petrol, lots of people looking at me strangely as if I was strangling a cat.

Noise continued - then all of a sudden disappeared.  When I get back from Canberra I'll be pulling the cable and dashboard to inspect and lubricate further.

Mins Man

« Reply #8532 on: 29-Jun-19, 21:14 »
Not taking the Turbo to Canberra Mate?  2funny
Don't forget to pack your thermal Reg Grundies.  happy0062

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8533 on: 30-Jun-19, 08:50 »
Just packing now - intend to leave about 10 ish

So should be there -and hopefully not raining by about 3 - a leisurely ride.

Cheers

No not taking the Turbo...

ACE

« Reply #8534 on: 30-Jun-19, 17:03 »
Pretty cold down here in Victoria at the moment so not much riding however we took the st100 for a run to Phillip Island recently and had a great couple of days in sunny weather! My 650 was sold quite a while ago but haven't seen or heard how it's been going from the new owner. My buddy Pete has had to give up motorbiking due to health reasons so he will be selling his 500 and many parts asap. Stay tuned!
Had a  good chat to Harold recently....must catch up with others too!
Cheers Chris

denuto

« Reply #8535 on: 01-Jul-19, 13:39 »
You are not wrong about the cold weather! The 650 is coming along slowly Chris. I took it for a roadworthy test a few months ago and got a defect list from the RWC tester (more like a wish list -the things he wishes I would pay him to fix!).

I've done all the things on his list  - including a new rear brake disk at considerable expense and repacking and adjusting the steering head bearings which taught me quite a bit about what goes where because you have to strip quite a few things away to get at them. I'm now thinking that it might be a good idea to pull the motor out and replace the stator and the starter clutch and check all the other things (cam chain, mechanical seal) before I bother to get a roadworthy as it's too cold to ride for most of the next few months.

I still have my other bike and I went out yesterday to get my club permit renewal papers signed. I was going to go by car, but the morning looked promising and I rugged up and had a nice ride in the sunshine.

Cheers, Tony

ACE

« Reply #8536 on: 01-Jul-19, 20:00 »
G'day Tony! Great to hear from you on the forum! We've been travelling for months but now home for winter! Crap news about that dear disk as they rarely wear out that much so hang to the original old one! I agree that this is the time to do the stator and starter clutch. Also, ask around for another roadworthy tester as he seemed to be very picky...keep us up to date on your progress and there's lots of wiser heads than mine regarding mechanicals! Can't wait to see the finished product on a ride down this way!
Cheers Chris

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8537 on: 10-Jul-19, 12:15 »
Still in Canberra,

Weather has not been that cold so far - but expecting a chilly blast tonight and more towards the weekend.

Looking forward to being at home and not eating frozen meals every night   lol.

Then back to the grind next Monday.

Cheers guys   2angel

muzza

« Reply #8538 on: 10-Jul-19, 14:38 »
you could try thawing the dinners before you eat them , that may make life easier.....

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8539 on: 11-Jul-19, 07:40 »
Thanks Muzza,

I suppose that's why my teeth have been chattering... bloody freezers - hard to get my head in there and also chew through the cardboard.... damn..

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8540 on: 21-Jul-19, 12:54 »
Not much happening here apparently by the lack of responses.

Just another boring week - very busy time, but repetitive.

Going back to Canberra next Sunday for another 2 weeks in the nations capital.

I might take the Turbo but really need to get the speedo sorted - still tossing up on the idea.

Taking friday off this week to do oil changes on the Valkyrie and the Turbo..with oil filters as well.

Hope everyone is keeping warm.

Cheers    2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #8541 on: 21-Jul-19, 16:59 »
If you can mount your mobile phone somewhere, there's a clean app named DigiHud which shows speed in large letters.

I had mine in a clear pocket on the CX500T as a confirmation, but mostly used the tacho to know my speed.

I think it was 4,200 in top for 100kmh.  I've forgotten the details of others sine selling the bike, but I'd become used to it at the time.  :grandpa:

doddsy1000

« Reply #8542 on: 21-Jul-19, 17:03 »
I did get an invite to ride with the Ulysses club a few weeks ago & had a nice time with that.

They know a few back roads around the local hills & don't hang around much.  :2afro:

I took my VFR750 & rugged up to be warm in winter.

All of that worked & I definitely need to get out more  lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8543 on: 21-Jul-19, 17:49 »
Hi Ian,

Yes I have that app and use it on the Turbo because the speedo is out of spec.

I have a usb plug mounted on the right hand side between the fairing and the petrol tank. I have thought of putting a bit of velcro on the side of my phone, then also a bit on the dashboard and then mount the phone sideways leaning back towards the windscreen. It would be in an easier position to see than in a clear pocket on my tank bag.

Will check that out during the week.

Cheers

Glad you are getting out on the VFR...

Mins Man

« Reply #8544 on: 21-Jul-19, 19:48 »
I might take the Turbo but really need to get the speedo sorted - still tossing up on the idea.

Charlie, are you really going to take that POS? Don't forget that I won't be around to rescue you this time.  :oilleak:

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8545 on: 21-Jul-19, 22:03 »
Hi Harry,

Still making up my mind - depends on the day, and how I feel.

Might be fun to take it for another longer run. I have no issues with it making the distance,

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll keep you in mind    happy0207

Charlie

doddsy1000

« Reply #8546 on: 22-Jul-19, 09:06 »
Good luck with the Velcro Charlie.

I've lost a phone that way.

If the roads didn't have bumps, it would work just fine.  lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #8547 on: 26-Jul-19, 15:24 »
Have taken a few suggestions to see if I can sort out the speedo whine.

Removed the Turbo speedo cable - undo the bonnet, loosen the fairing bolts, drop it down to get access to the speedo cable. Remove the cable and outersheath from the front wheel.

Removed the speedo cable from the outer, and it had a film of oil  on it - and when wiped off did not leave much of a stain on the rag I used.
Flushed some lanoshield through the sheath and let it drip for a while. Found my old Graphite Powder and lubed the sheath.

Took out the dremel tool and ground maybe 1/2 to 1mm off the speedo end of the cable - it was slightly rounded when I started, put it back to a flat surface. Sprayed a blast of lanoshield up the speedo rear.

Reinstalled the cable - bugger to get screwed onto the dashboard - and done up till firm then backed off 1/2 turn.

Gear up and around the block - no more noise (at the moment - or famous last words)..

Will be taking the bike to Canberra - so a good run will see if it has sorted itself out - the needle is no longer wildly jumping about and appears smoother under acceleration. No idea what it will be like at 110km/h.

cheers guys

doddsy1000

« Reply #8548 on: 26-Jul-19, 18:05 »
Good luck  happy0159

I never did get mine working, but it was also in MPH.

I promise that I never went over 120.  lmao lmao lmao

grod

« Reply #8549 on: 26-Jul-19, 23:38 »
Forget about whats happening today, I can't wait the 25 odd minutes to say how excited I am that me and Mrs G will be heading for a ride tomorrow for some lunch at Largs NSW.  Taking the back road from Branxton to Largs.

Mrs G on her Royal Enfield EFI and me on the CX500. Wish us luck

love

g

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM       Bad Behavior      Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot      Let's Encrypt